HTPC or standalone DVD Player? What are your experiences with each with a projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Johnny G, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I just bought a 42" Plasma and I'm about to pick up a Barco 808s so I decided to have a dedicated PC built so I can view DVDs (and TV) in WXGA instead of a video signal.

The results are astounding on my Plasma and I'm convinced it is the way to go with a projector but can anyone tell me how they watch their DVDs on a projection system & why?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I am using my DVD player now and I am going to try HPTC once I get my MB back.
    Some people stick with there DVD players ....for ease of use, DCDi chip.
    Some people swear by the whole HTPC thing and that is the best picture ever. The only thing is you have to put time into it because of some of the software(powerstrip, FFdshow, etc)

3. Johnny G

Thanks Chad,

I guess you and me are the only one with a projector.

What exactly does a DCDi chip do?

BTW these are the results of a poll on avsforum

What do you watch DVDs with? And what graphics card, if it's a HTPC?
    Standalone DVD player 19 - 9.31%
    HTPC 3 - 1.47%
    HTPC with Radeon card 162 - 79.41%
    HTPC with GeForce card 12 - 5.88%
    HTPC with other card 8 - 3.92%

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

5. Johnny G

Thanks again Chad but I was under the impression that interlaced frames didn't come into it if you displayed a DVD on a computer rather than a video screen (NTSC/PAL etc) so as long as you set your frame rate to a compatible rate, say 120Hz, you would see complete frames.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Generally, a HTPC can give you the best DVD image possible...

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Johnny, for a B 808, or any other CRT, an HTPC is arguably the ONLY way to go. Feeding it from a DVD player gives you very limited options of resolutions. With an HTPC, you can hit the sweet spot of the projector as YOU have it set up. Even different 808 units set up differently will vary before you start getting scan line overlap, depending on the skill of the setup.

And if you are sitting a given distance away from the screen, you can go just to the point where the scanlines are no longer visible, and this obviously will vary from setup to setup depending on how close you sit to the screen.

Even dedicated (and VERY expensive) video processors don't give you this flexibility in getting EXACTLY the refresh and resolution that you want.

Absolutely you should run an HTPC with a CRT FP. It may be less of an issue with digital projectors. Consult the CRT and HTPC forums at AVS, there's books-worth of ways to do this. With an HTPC you can also do the anamorphic-crush setup on your Barco too, for a constant height screen, for instance, if you wish.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I also forgot to add about the mike parker modded cards, which are said to improve the PQ, and adds RGB connections, so you don't have to run a VGA-RGB breakout, then RGB to the barco. Anyway, this and everything else computer-wise is covered there. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

Btw, nice projector. I have a G808 waiting for my HT remodel to finish.... [​IMG] I will be building an HTPC as well, but I don't know that I want to spend christmas refreshing myself on all the computer lingo... [​IMG]

Ah well, it'll be worth it! [​IMG]