HTPC newbie needs a few questions answered (please!)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian_C_Massey, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Brian_C_Massey

Brian_C_Massey Auditioning

Hi, I am contemplating turning one of my older PCs into an HTPC.

It is a Dell Optiplex GX 240, Pentium 4 1.7 GHz, 400MHz FSB, with 768Mb PC133 SDRAM, and a 40Gb 7200 RPM HDD, and an ATI Rage Ultra 16mb graphics card. It is running Windows 2000 Professional.

I have a spare nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB AGP 4x video card with TV out that I could throw in it (if this is adequate; nVidia claims it has hardware encoding which I understand is important). I've verified the GX240 has a 4x AGP slot. So, is this card suitable for a basic HTPC? If not, what would you recommend? This PC will not be used for any gaming.

I have a spare Hitachi 250Gb 7200 RPM PATA drive that I can install into this machine, to be the secondary drive, and store all of the recordings.

I need to decide on a TV Tuner card, and I think I like the Hauppage 150 or 250. Someone please help me understand the difference.

I would probably want an RF remote that can penetrate a wall, with about a 20 foot range.

I probably want a DVD+/-RW drive. Best choices?

I have no idea what software I should choose. Which is the best/easiest to use?

The PC only has integrated audio with the little mini out jack. Do I need a soundcard?

The TV is a 53" rear projection Sony with plenty of composite, S-video, and component inputs available. Also a cheap Dolby ProLogic 5.1 receiver with RCA inputs.

Have I forgotten anything else?

Also, this machine is currently acting as a development webserver. I could disable the webserver if it conflicted, or used too many resources, but I'd like to see if I can have the machine handle both duties. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help....

2. Walter Scott

Walter Scott Agent

I, too, would like to hear about this. I am looking at the nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440, the Hauppage 250 and Sage TV.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

winDVD has rather demanding system requirements, although you probably won't need half the new features.

If you want to listen to DVD soundtracks, you'll want a sound card with 5.1 outputs-- a dolby digital/dts receiver hooked up via S/PDIF would have been optimal, but, you can't have everything. Besides, some DVD Player apps decode DVD-Audio, and that sort of thing requires an analog 5.1 connection. You may want to get a DVD Player application that decodes dts, as well.
    Anyway...

I would definitely replace the Rage with a better graphics card. The GeForce4 MX may well suffice, although Component Video may not be available with your card.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor