What's new

HTPC is not keeping up. thinking about a stand alone Blu-Ray BUT, Component video only (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I seem to have a problem i'm sure many people have dealt with. My current NEC LT150 only has VGA, composite, and component(via breakout cable) inputs. running digital audio to my receiver via RCA(another requirement for the bluray player).
Some day we would like to get to HDMI to get with the times but Its looking like a full system overhaul would be needed for that.
My HTPC is not keeping up with frame rates as HD video is starting to come out the processor is maxed most of its life.
We were thinking about getting a stand alone Bluray player that can link up to hulu plus and amazon instant rentals, pandora etc.
I am starting to see that component is getting killed off. Is there a leftover model I should look for?
2010 Pannys dmp-bd65 but no digital audio and I don't really want to buy a new a 20 ft optical cable.
2010 Pannys Dmp-bd85 appears to have the Coaxial audio out but at three times the refurb rate it makes the optical cable seem cheaper

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You can also pick up an HDMI to Component adapter from Monoprice for less than $40. I ended up having to use that for a client of mine since he had run component cables in the wall instead of HDMI when he had his house built 5 years ago. The boxes worked fairly well with both newer Panasonic and Samsung Blu-ray players with Netflix and Amazon streaming apps, although there was some minor overscanning, and the boxes did not work well at all with 480i sources.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
we went ahead and got the 65. got it shipped for 60 dollars refurbished. When we finally blow a bulb and get a replacement its got the HDMI port to switch to. Only thing that is missing is the 3d.... i don't suspect i'm going to miss it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks