HTPC Hardware/Software Supporting Pure Digital Output???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnThompson, Aug 22, 2002.

1. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    I am seriously contemplating building a HTPC, and have researched the optic fairly throughly. My only main concern is that I can't find hardware or software that supports the output of the "pure" audio bitstream via digital coax or optical cable. Most soundcards (or graphic cards, for that matter) seem to process the audio, and then retransmit. My concern is that I do not want to be limited to 5.1 DD or DTS when I could be getting DTS 24/96 or DTS ES signals in my home theater's receiver.

Does anyone know of any products currently in available or in development that would allow me to do this?

Thanks,
    JT

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Supposedly the Maudio Audiophile cards produce "pure bit for bit" digital audio. I'm not sure if software players support these formats you mentioned (I'm actually sketchy on 24/96 DTS and how it's authored anyway)-- but I would assume that Maudio coupled with Theatertek could pass DTS ES.

I would try it since my Outlaw supports ES, but my HTPC is current down because I'm upgrading (and using the opportunity to do some renovation and construction).

-Vince

3. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    Thanks - could you keep me posted once you get your home theater in working order? This is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Sure, no problem.
    Is the encoding on the 24/96 DTS titles different? Are there any 24/96 DTS titles aailable currently? If so, I'd be happy to take a stab at trying that out as well.
    In the meantime, you might try looking on the AVS forum, I'm sure a search of M-audio and DTS-ES would yield some information.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=95865
    -Vince