HTPC for New Projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Foan, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,
    As an ignoramus in the area of HTPC (and many other areas),I need help in designing a HTPC for use exclusively with a newly purchased / soon to be delivered
    Panasonic PT-AE100 projector.
    I have an Expressvu 6000 HDTV receiver, S-VHS deck, Onkyo DD surround receiver which I would also be tying into the system. I'd like to use the HTPC as a scaler & prog. scan DVD player, line doubler (?), OTA HDTV tuner, etc. and leave my other computer where it is for other uses.
    A good friend of mine would be happy to build it for me if I told him what components/specs. are needed.
    I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I'm spending every available second I have soundproofing, laying flooring & wiring up the new HT room and am getting pretty hyped on the final outcome. A HTPC will put the finishing touches on the whole thing.....assuming one is ever truly finished [​IMG]
    Take Care & roll 'em
    Greg

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Greg, one suggestion. Try the ExpressVu 6000 receiver in both 720p and 1080i modes. One merchant tried the 6000 on an NEC LT150Z and found the image to be more stable when the receiver was set to 720p even though most HDTV broadcasts are in the 1080i mode.

3. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

4. Greg Foan

thanks for the advice guys........if anyone sees a post concerning an HTPC built for the AE100 please let me know....I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here.......i'm terrified that i'll build something where several of the HW/SW components have huge conflicts and I'll have to spend months straightening it out.....or worse yet, have to pay a HT geek to drive all the way from Toronto or Montreal to fix my system [​IMG]
    Thanks Again
    Greg

5. Greg Foan

Bump.....anyone??? Hardware OR software suggestions?