HTPC DVD player troubles

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric_L, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

It's barely been a week and I already have troubles. I KNOW that this has been discussed here before, but a search for 'DVD' came up empty in the HTPC area. So - I tried.

I watched a movie not long ago on my system and all was well. Had a few minor skips but not bad for a first run. I later installed a new monitor - NEC LCD 1760NX. I then installed a Radeon 7000 PCI as a second video card to drive my projector. (AGP 9700 AIW drives the NEC)

So last night I plug in a movie and it starts out just fine. After about 2 minutes it gets very choppy then crashes with a still screen. (the dvd software, not the pc) I tried both the ATI video player and the Windows Media player. Both did the same thing. I tried two different DVDs and got the same thing. I tried shutting down nearly every program. No difference. I turned off the extended desktop and tried to play the movie on my LCD and still it crashed in the same manner. Case temp was a reasonable 39C. I tried other programs and they ran just fine.

Here's a run down of my system:

ASUS p4p800 mobo
    pentium2.4
    Radeon 9700 AIW AGP (128 meg)
    Radeon 7000 PCI (64 meg)
    Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
    1 gig memory (corsair)
    Pioneer DVR105
    Seagate 120gig hd
    Windows XP home
    420 watt Vantec PS
    two case fans

I've updated the drivers for both Radeons and the Audigy. I ran the configuration utility with the ATI player and it says that the audio clock may not be +_.2% and that DMA MAY not be enabled. (though further down the list it says it is) All other items passed. I've checked DMA in the control panel and it is set. Also, if the Audigy 2 Platinum won't cut it what will??? Thanks for helping with yet another DVD software player thread.

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

OK, I think it has something to do with the extended desktop. Today I ran a DVD just fine for about 10 minutes on my desktop. I notice that when I set it on full screen it screws up my resolution settings and sdcreen size. I also noticed that even though interactual is unistalled, I got an installation notice for it today - even though the ATI player was starting the dvd.