HTPC DVD Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Grant B, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I got a Creative Audolgy2 ZS card which has DVD Audio capabilities. Last month I installed it and hooked it up to my preamp and had a few problems with it working correctly. I finally got all the speakers working correctly via the speaker tests etc but out of the 4 discs I bought 3 do not work. A live pogues disc works great. Fleetmac, Metallica and REM greatest hits ... nothing. The SW DVD Audio player seems to be playing with the title of the song etc but NADA not a sound. All the creative Diagonostics check out and I have the latest and greatest downloads and I am stumped?
    Any ideas????
    Thanks Much
    Grant

2. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

How is The HTPC connected to the preamp? Have you tried playing the 3 non-working discs in a standalone dvd player? Do they work?

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have the 3 minijack to RCAs connected to the 6 channel input on my analog preamp and the digital out into the other preamp (TAE/TAP 9000ES combo).
    I'll give the normal DVD a try.
    It's strange since everything seems to be working right but no sound out. I'll try the THX pink noise and all speakers are working via the analog out.... just no sound from the DVDs

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Grant,

Connect the Audigy's digital out with your preamp's digital in only. That way the sound card will just pass the unprocessed signal through and let the preamp do all the processing. Check the sound card's software indicates that everything is coming out of SPDIF/digital out...

5. David Lindon

David Lindon Agent

The Audigy's digial output only outputs in stereo, I've been trying to get mine hooked up recently and having that probelm with it

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

The normal audio does work via non DVD Audio DVD player (strange, never thought I would type those words in that order)

Connect the Audigy's digital out with your preamp's digital in only. That way the sound card will just pass the unprocessed signal through and let the preamp do all the processing.
    Well I wouldn't get the High End Audio that way simce it only passes via analog.
    David
    It should pass 5.1 via digit on a normal dvd. do you have the speakers configured to 5.1?

I think I will have to wait for an update if the one works and not anything else.
    Oh well!
    David feel free to contact me if you can't anything to work

Grant

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Grant:

I got really frustrated with my Soundblaster sound card as it didn't have a dedicated digital out over coax or toslink S/PDIF.

I picked up a HDA X-Mystique 7.1 Gold sound card so hooking up my HTPC was a snap over tosklink to my preamp. They have since come out with the HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS Connect which includes the same as the decoders as the Mystique but also includes DTS Connect.

At any rate I know I am bypassing the internal decoding of the sound card by using the toslink out but they both give you an alternative to the Sound Blaster in that you can still us the mini-plug outputs and use the internal decoders of the cards or you can do like I did and have an easy hookup to your preamp via the digital outs.

Parker

8. David Lindon

David Lindon Agent

Hi Grant, yes I've tried the 5.1 setting and it still only outputs two channels. I go to the audio hq panel and do the speaker test and I only get the two front channels.

I didn't have a straight jack to phono adapter so I used stereo jack to phono plug:
    [​IMG]
    That wouldn't affect it would it?

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Parker
    I can understand why you would but I think it doesn't have DVD Audio out??
    When I bought the soundcard it was 1 of 2 that did.
    My rack is packed (out of context that's a great line to confuse people) and I don't have room to add another dvd player.....the am/fm tuner is looking like a possible demote candidate though

David
    I hope you have good eyesite
    The one you have in your photo is stereo
    I would say a mono miniplug to rca might be a good cheap fix.
    I by mistake had one that I thought was stereo. I cut off 1 of the rca jacks hooked it up and the digital worked fine (FINALLY!)
    One hint I found the jacks are so close together it's easy to thing something is connected and find out it's not in all the way.
    They should have a warning on the box, "ADULT MALE FINGERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CONNECT ALL THE DAMN MINIPLUGS" .
    "PLEASE USE TINY CHILDREN AND WOMEN WITH SMALL HANDS"
    They really need to hook up their own cards so they can find that the spacing will make most adapters unusable. I had to take a dremel to mine to fit and a dremel is not listed on the box as needed for installation

10. David Lindon

David Lindon Agent

I picked up a mono plug to phono adapter and tried it and its still the same.
    [​IMG]

What is interesting though, its with the stereo splitter that I posted above, if I use the left side connector and do the speaker test, I get front in the front speakers but if I use the right I get rear left, right in the front speakers.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

David
    That's strange.
    You have all the new SW with the patches and drivers I assume?
    Did you run the diagonistic tests?
    There are a few places where you need to designate how many speakers and 1 box needs to be checked for digital output i believe.
    Check in WMP that there is nothing that says you are running only stereo
    and also in the device manager.
    After that I give up. I have a feeling we can expect more patches hopefully soon.
    Good Luck and let me know if anything works or changes

12. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Grant / David,

If you want to connect the Audigy SPDIF digital audio out to the receiver's digital audio in, you'll need this. This would let the receiver decode th digital signal.

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I tried the mini-plug to RCA with my Sound Blaster and it wouldn't send the DTS stream to my preamp. It would send the DD just fine but not DTS. I just gave up and went with the HDA.

Grant:

I don't have DVD A or SACD so this wasn't an issue for me.

14. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

DTS pass thru only started with the Audigy 2 ZS...