HTPC: Custom Movie Intros and Preroll

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

In Ron's review of the MOVIE NIGHT dvd of custom intros, I mentioned that HTPC users have been able to provide Custom slideshows and animated intros from HTPC for a while... which sparked some interest. Rather than Hijacking Ron's discussion, I started this thread related to this type of material...

Not specifically, although the ideas and uses for HTPC have been documented in the HTPC section of this forum, and in the HTPC forum of AVS.

I didn't need a DVD burner- instead I created the slide show using images created in photoshop and then imported them to a video editor and created a MPG file with the same resolution of my HTPC setting (although I think you could do the same in powerpoint or something along those lines, and export to a video clip). I can use a program like Girder to send remote commands to the PC, launching the file and playing it directly off the computer in full resolution.

With some basic frame changes and music changes to your video timeline, you can change the Aspect or Theme of the show- and export a new file, and even associate another girder remote command with each theme. Heck, if you wanted to get creative, you could associate timers to launch it at a specific time.

I would say if you have Aftereffects and Lightwave, you could create MPG files easily- and if you use HTPC as a playback device, you don't have to limit your quality to NTSC DVD, instead export big graphic files in HD resolutions and use those as your slide show!

Don't bother burning to 480 DVD, keep full resolution quality files and play them direct from the PC at HD resolutions!

-Vince

2. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

I agree about DVD-R: it's entirely redundant if you've got an HTPC with a HD larger than 10GB. BTW, if your intro movie isn't very long, there are much better looking codecs than MPEG.

I still like being able to rip trailers and play them; I have also shown Mickey Mouse cartoons. What we need is Road Runner shorts! (I suppose I could try recording some off of TV...)

3. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

What's HTPC? [​IMG]

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Home Theater Personal Computer

~T

5. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

Well I've created a couple myself. I mainly use Premiere, After Effects, 3d Studio Max and Photoshop.
    It usually goes:
    1. Get an idea of what I want to do.
    2. Do a draft in Max
    3. Create all my shapes and animate and keyframe.
    4. Do textures in Photoshop.
    5. Render it out and go to After Effects and do more filter monkey'ing.
    6. Put together in Premiere.

6. Tim_Stonesifer

Tim_Stonesifer Stunt Coordinator

Great idea guys! Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a simple question for you. Is there any way for me to have an intro play, skip the dvd menu completely, and go straight into the movie? By the way, I'd be playing the DVD on my PC. I'm looking into this Girder software, but until I install it I'd appreciate any advice.

7. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Tim - One word: TheaterTek. It has the ability to store the actual movie start and skip right past all the menus. Great stuff!

-greg

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yes- although it might take a little work.

Theatertek will allow you to mark the movie title on a DVD, and set that title to the default start point when a disc is inserted. So skipping the menu is no problem with Theatertek (and it retains all your audio and other settings and starts playing right away!)

The problem is, as of yet- theatertek does not offer playback of MPG files (or any file based media)-- and also does not offer a direct "play this file before the feature" option.

However- you could use Girder to launch your custom intro, close it when the intro is done (or at a set time, or with a remote stroke), and the launch Theatertek, which will start the feature from the DVD.

I expect Theatertek to offer File based playback- and even "trailer" loading before the DVD in future versions- as this is a very widely requested feature.

There is an additional method, involving retaining a copy of the DVD on a local drive, adding the intro as a VOB as if it were part of the DVD and then mounting that as a disc drive- which Theatertek will recognize. However this is complex, and explaining how to do it would be a violation of a few HTF rules.