HTPC channel on IRC now open.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blake Hoffmann, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Blake Hoffmann

Blake Hoffmann Auditioning

While #DVD on efnet is a great home theater general chat channel, I have decided to open up #htpc , for anyone interested in discussion/needing live help with questions, or just wanting to kick it and chat

So come and join if you like, we could use a nice bunch of idlers, not to mention a botnet.

2. Blake Hoffmann

Blake Hoffmann Auditioning

And for those of you who dont know how to use IRC:
    IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, allows chatters to connect to and run chat servers. On servers one can create channels, which are like chat rooms, which name usually starts with the # symbol. Some start with +.b
    #htpc is on efnet, one of the more popular chat servers. If you would like to join:
    You need an irc client for your operating system. For beginners using windows, I recomend Mirc, which you can get at www.mirc.com .
    After installing mirc and putting in the basic info, connect to an EfNet server by either right clicking the options button (folder with hammer next to it) and selecting Random US Efnet Server, or in the status window typing "/server efnet".
    When you connect, it should pop up the channels window. To add the channel, click add and enter #htpc into the field. You can also type "/join #htpc" in the status window or any chat window.
    As for other OS's, im not sure, but I'll check for the best one if anyone here is on a Mac (hehe) or Linux (and if you use linux, irc should be simple for you anyways