What's new

HTPC Build for your review... (1 Viewer)

GamingDaemon

Auditioning
Real Name
Real Name
Hello Everyone, New to this forum. I just pulled the trigger on a HTPC build. Please review, pick apart and debate. But let's start with my requirements for this build. Here’s what I want in a HTPC:
  • Play all of the 1080p Blu Ray movies I have ripped to my Home Server PC
  • Play any other personal videos I have taken that are stored on my Home Server PC
  • Access the internet to round out my ability to see movies and TV online (I have DirecTV and Vudu, but I know there are other options open to me like Hulu and YouTube)
  • Future-proof to some degree, as much as is possible
And here's my current list of components (just purchased):
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z68M-D2H LGA 1155 Intel Z68 $104.99
  • SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin ML03B Micro ATX Media Center $59.99
  • ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3 GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) (out of stock, $69.99)
  • SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-ES 400W $48.99 or Antec Neo ECO 400C
  • Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W $51.99
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $30
  • SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L $59.99
Have at it! :) And thank you.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You're selections are good. I'd be a bit more tempted to go with an ATI video solution instead of Nvidia, but the 430 is a good bang for the buck. Spend some money and get a decent gigabit switch to go with this for transporting heavy content across a home network. Some cheap realtek based gigabit switch is not going to help you much, but a really good (and surprisingly affordable) switch will.

GamingDaemon

Auditioning
Real Name
Real Name
mattCR said:
You're selections are good.  I'd be a bit more tempted to go with an ATI video solution instead of Nvidia, but the 430 is a good bang for the buck.  Spend some money and get a decent gigabit switch to go with this for transporting heavy content across a home network.   Some cheap realtek based gigabit switch is not going to help you much, but a really good (and surprisingly affordable) switch will.
I have a 16 port gigabit switch for the home network, but do you mean a PCI NIC? I was going to buy this netowrk card, but folks on another board talked me out of it. I have that NIC in my Home Server PC and it really improves the data rates streaming a .mp4 file by 7 or 8 times. So, if I have it in my Home Server PC, which supplies my ripped Blu Ray movies, do I need it in my HTPC too?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No, actually, you're onboard NIC in most newer boards is fairly decent (as long as it's not a realtek whatever).. but the switch is what kills most people.. they throw a cheap no-name switch into the network, and that's the killer.

Originally Posted by GamingDaemon

I have a 16 port gigabit switch for the home network, but do you mean a PCI NIC? I was going to buy [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033]this netowrk card, but folks on another board talked me out of it. I have that NIC in my Home Server PC and it really improves the data rates streaming a .mp4 file by 7 or 8 times.
So, if I have it in my Home Server PC, which supplies my ripped Blu Ray movies, do I need it in my HTPC too?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks