What's new

HTPC Best Case and Motherboard (1 Viewer)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Anyone have any rec's on a good case and motherboard combo to start with to build a HTPC? I'm looking for something that will fit in my HT Rack and looks like a Piece of A/V equipment.

Thanks

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I don't see nothing wrong with your combo. That case it steel and it will be noticeably heavier than aluminum. Something to consider if it's on, say, a glass shelf. I have a steel Antec and was suprised by it's weight. As far as why AMD, I've always been a fan of their performance and value. Besides that, 64 bit computing is the future and a 64 bit windows will soon be out, etc. Nothing wrong with the Intel setup. I'd get:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...103-501&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-510&depa=0

Without getting computer geeky, you could overclock that processor to 2.2-2.4 ghz easy for some extra juice. Just one man's opinion........

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Couple Questions? The case only has 4 expansion slots but these motherboards have 5 PCI's and 1 AGP does that matter that there is not enough expansion slots in the case?

Another question to run Media Center 2005 they recommend 3.0 Ghz processor or faster. Would the AMD 64 3000+ cut it? Isn't that technically only a 2.1 Ghz processor?

Thanks

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You gotta be careful to note what form factor the case supports. ATX is the standard size in most PC's, mATX(micro) is smaller and was the size many of the first HTPC cases were. The case you noted is mATX. mATX boards are a fewer in selection, but there are some good ones out there. ATX cases are obviously bigger, can run cooler, and usually more expensive. So you gotta decide, do I want to get a motherboard for a case or a case for a mother board.

It's sometimes difficult to compare AMD and Intel processors because of the speed variances. AMD chips are much more efficient and so therefore don't need higher clock speeds to be competitive. The chip I suggested, the 3000+, is called such because AMD beleives their speed of 1.8ghz is the equal to a 3ghz Intel. They're estimations are fairly accurate. Additionally, with overclocking the processor 4-500mhz more, which this chip is reputed to easily do, you get a processor that can run at speeds that would be double the cost. Of course Intel's overclock too......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks