What's new

HTPC audio question (1 Viewer)

Ramon A

Agent
I just found out about HTPC 2 day's ago and I like what I hear as far as video playback and scaling.
but my question is if I go this route. Do I still need an AVR.
Or Will the PC properly set up, handle all video and audio decoding.
Thanks for any help.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Yep, just good PC components and an amp will do HTPC duties, but you won't have switching capabilities that an AVR would have.

PhillJones

Second Unit
What are you going to use the HTPC to do?

Is it just watching DVDs or will it act as you TV tuner? A video scaler? FM tuner? PVR?

What other componants will you have? A cable box? A VCR?

You may find that the only video source that you need is the PC. In which case you don't need an AVR to switch the video for you.

You will, however, need an AV amplifier at the very least, to amplify your 7.1 channels of home cinema explode-arama.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Meaning you can't plug in a VCR, cable box, game console, etc. into a PC like you can with an AVR and select different sources. Those will all have to go straight to your display.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Well.. if you have a tv tuner or similar.. you can plug in your VCR/game console in that way. I have an ATI TV WONDER (no not the all in wonder, this is a stand alone card) and I can input s-video signals as well as RCA style.. I can either watch or capture the video input..

and it comes with a nifty breakout box style connection.. so you don't have to fiddle with the rear of the computer..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks