HTPC and S-Video Issues ....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joe Mihok, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Just converted my home PC into a HTPC and everything works great except for one thing, the SVIDEO image quality is very poor. The vertial edges are "squiggly" when there is alot of bright colors on the screen. Best way to describe it is a big "wave" accross the edge of the screen. This goes away once when the entire desktop background is a darker color (like blue). Even when watching DVD's the image will distort vertially when bright images enter the screen. My current setup is as follows:

TV: Toshiba 27" CRT (non highdef)

PC:

ATI Radeon 9600 256MB (Sapphire)
    Asus A7N8X-VM (Nforce2)
    512 MB Memory
    120 GB Seagate 8MB Cache HDD
    LG 4082B DVD-RW

Anyways, I've tried other video cards (this time nvidia) and the same thing happens. it's quite distracting. I've tried the following resolutions and they all do the same thing (640x480 and 800x600). It's not my TV because I also used another TV (19" Sony) and the same thing happened.

So is the SVIDEO on PC cards just bad ? I have component video inputs on my TOSHIBA TV (i was suprised) so would the DVI > Component adapter from ATI fair better results ??

2. Dan.AE

Dan.AE Auditioning

bump
    I've had some similar issues as well...

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Yes, many times better. I've used one on an 8500 and now a 9500 Pro with an 856x480 resolution for my 51" widescreen TV set with PowerStrip, a custom resolution program. And with this signal, my TV upconverts it to 1080i after setting the scanning frequencies for that format and it looks clear as day. Anyone outputting from a PC to TV should use this program, google it and you'll get it. I hate to say this here, but go to AVS forum's Home Theater Computer section and there is a massive ongoing help thread on how to best use this program. Look up posts by "Karnis". So.....get the adapter, good luck.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I get pretty good results with my gf4 4200 + TVTool software. No weird wave problems or anything like that.

5. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys. I've ditched the whole HTPC thing right now. I'll take advantage of it when I get around to buying a HDTV. HTPC and 27" CRT is a bad combo (for text viewing).

6. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

I would recommend nvidia's fx series for standard crt tv's. I am using the fx5200 right now for my video card running a resolution of 720x480 and I have no problems at all. I am using my htpc with the following software: myHTPC, Theatertek, and SageTV.

The most important thing to watch when matching a video card to a TV is what resolutions the card can output. Since 720x480 closely matches the resolution of a TV, it looks almost perfect. I can even read some texts on my TV. Also, the nvidia FX series is known to have good support for its TV out. If you want to know more about it PM me.

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm currently using Svideo out of a Geforce Ti4200 with the latest drivers that offer support for higher resolutions. I use Media cernter 10 and the ouput is acceptable in the program screens for theaterview, and I'm mostly playing converted to Divx TV shows and they look great.