HTPC and InFocus SP5000, resolution question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sami Kallio, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I just ordered an SP5000 to replace my old CRT FP and noticed you "need" to run the computer at 1280 x 1024 instead of 720p. Why is that? Can't I just set the computer to 720p and run the signal to the projector with component cable?

I've read that some projectors wouldn't support HD through component because of copy protection, is this true? Will I be able to get 720p out of my computer to SP5000?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

1. Be sure the computer is outputting Y/Pb/Pr for the TV component inputs as opposed to RGsB or RGBHV output. If this choice exists it is always manual.

2. Some equipment is finicky about VESA (computer video)versus SMPTE (U.S. television) versus SCART (some European television) timings for the retrace intervals (front porch, etc.)

3. Make sure the video frames per second figure out of the computer is correct, also manually chosen. For U.S. television video projectors it should be 59.94, usually 60.00 works OK. Some TV's may autoselect the frame rate from a VGA input but not from a component input.

4. A TV with a VGA input might not accept 720p via VGA even when it does accept 720p via component inputs. 720p is not a "standard" computer "resolution".

Aside from this, 720p out of a computer is fundamentally the same as 720p out of an HDTV set top box or upconverting DVD player.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Thanks!

I can set custom resolution and refresh rates with my video card (I think most newer cards and their software allow this) so getting the right signal out shouldn't be a problem. I would think the resolution restriction applies only to the VGA connection and it shouldn't matter what type of source it is for the component.