HTPC and DVD Changers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Com, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Steve_Com

Steve_Com Extra

I am new to HTPC (trying to decide on equipment right now) but I have a question regarding a DVD changer... can they be included in an HTPC setup? If so, are there any disadvantages?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you can find one for a PC, I don't see why it should be a problem other than finding a region crack for it

3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I don't know of any changers, but you could always install several DVD players in your computer. This would more than likely be cheaper than any changers you would find.

You can also look into storing images of the DVD's on your harddrives and run them from there (the images are big so you need big harddrives)>

4. Steve_Com

Steve_Com Extra

What about the Sony 300+1 DVD changer connected via a Slink-e?

5. Rabi

Rabi Auditioning

Goto www.dvdchanger.com. They still have a handfull of changers left. It is connected via firewire. The software is clunky but hey you can load 200 dvds.
    Rabi

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm still waiting on that, but I have to admit that I haven't looked lately.

On my Pioneer DV-F07 (301 disc) I have a serial port on the back. There is a piece of hardware out that would enable you to select disks and tracks, but it doesn't seem right.
    I am sure that it wouldn't be that hard for someone to create some software and have a serial connection to a PC, and I could select the disc and have it start right up.

Maybe someday.
    Glenn

7. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

The serial port would be a horrible bandwidth bottleneck for the data rate to the pc [​IMG]

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mark, what data rate? They would just be on/off commands. I'm sure a few bytes wouldn't slow anything up.

Glenn