HTiB

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DaveGil, Jul 21, 2004.

1. DaveGil

DaveGil Auditioning

I am looking for some help in choosing a HTiB. I've decided to purchase the Sony WEGA 60" LCD tv (my first "big" tv) and I'm looking for a good HTiB to go with it. The budget for the HTiB is $700. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

3. DaveGil

DaveGil Auditioning

Yes John, I am looking for simplicity. Do you have any recommendations? I saw in some other notes that Onkyo systems seem pretty good? Thanks.

Dave

4. John S

John S Producer

5. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

I'd try to find the Onkyo HTS770 if I were you. Try shoponkyo.com and check prices and what not. Circuit city has it as well and it's better than the 760 as posted above. However I'd go with what the second poster said, you would do MUCH MUCH better if you just pieced stuff together for that price range. I did what you did, shopped for the simplicity and now I'm kicking myself in the butt realizing what I could've done if I'd done my research before instead of after. I could've done much better piecing for that price than buying a HTIB, although I am happy with what I have.

6. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

just be sure whatever you get can be upgraded (I've found a few htib's that use 10 ohm speakers)

7. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

John shipping is well over $100 on that onkyo system from ecost..

8. John S

John S Producer

Yep.. That is a ton of stuff...

That is still a steal of a deal. Built around a solid AVR... $300 delivered for a great AVR, Powered Sub, Decent sized floor standing fronts, and good quality surrounds and center.... I'll bet it costs close to $100 to ship it all.

9. DaveGil

DaveGil Auditioning

I checked it out. It costs $140+ for shipping plus $6 handling fee.

So, if I do piece it together myself, what are suggestions that you all have? Thanks.

Dave

10. John S

John S Producer

That is just it, I would start with the same Receiver that is included with the Onkyo 760 deal I posted.

I still think, for the most cost effectiveness...

I'd buy the Onkyo 760 deal, and then replace the sub with a Velodyne CHT-15 or something similar, then try to sell the sub that came with the Onkyo 760 system.

That would give you a pretty dang awesome home theater for not much money at all....

In piecing together, I'd still go with the Onkyo TX-SR501, and velodyne CHT-15, then I'd try to find a deal on some solid Bookshelf speakers and buy 3 pair.

Something like this for speakers... 3 pair at $80 a pair.
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...=291639#scroll
    Total $240

The Onkyo TX-SR501 - $160 as posted previously

And still look at a 15' Velodyne Sub. $478
    http://www.onecall.com/PID_12837.htm

$240 for speakers
    $160 for AVR
    $478 for a dang nice Subwoofer
    -----
    Over your budget of $700

Once again, the value of the Onkyo 760 system is quickly realized, even with the hefty shipping charge.

11. DaveGil

DaveGil Auditioning

Thanks, John. I really appreciate your help. Dave

12. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Well you could definately go with the Onkyo HTIB as mentioned above, however to lower the price I'd look at the Dayton 10" sub from partsexpress.com that everyone on these forums is raving about. Runs you about half the price of the velodyne and from what I hear it's great.

You should also check into the fluance speaker package from HERE which has also had great reviews and you can't beat the price on a decent 5 speaker package with floorstanding mains.

So let's see, up to this point it's $259.99 for the speakers and $124.88 for the sub. You would now be at 384.87 w/out shipping and tax. Give yourself a little for cables(I would go with the RCA brand cables and speaker wire from Home Depot, great product, great price). You'd want decent DVD player and you could decide on whether you want a more full featured one that does SACD and/or DVD audio and that'd run anywhere from $80 for a decent Sony one from Best Buy to the new value priced universal DVD players from Crutchfield.com which range from $120-$199 for the entry level universal and you're still at only $460 minimum and you could spend the rest on a decent reciever which would blow away any HTIB reciever(alghough that onkyo isn't bad).
    You can find good Yamaha's(which I personally like over Denon, Onkyo and others) at the amount you have left at Best Buy.

I know I kind of ran on and on in this and didn't use much sentence structure but basically you can go with the Onkyo which is good, or you could go better with the seperates around the same price. It's your choice and you'd have to make it I'm just trying to help.

Oh, and if you decide to go with the HTIB route, at your budget don't waste your money on the Onkyo 760, instead spend $550 at circuitcity.com on this, the ONKYO 770 which is a much better system.

13. DaveGil

DaveGil Auditioning

Thanks very much. I'll check these out.