1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Htib

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Jones, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Douglas Jones

Douglas Jones Auditioning

Hi I'm a newbie I've been reading about all the high end stuff what's a good HTIB. And don't say ther arnt any[​IMG]

2. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo makes some good HTIB. Kenwood's 505 HTIB is pretty good aswell.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'll say the Kenwood system ( ihave one and can vouch for it). Just be prepared to upgrade:

The subwoofer: The supplied subwoofer is a POS. You'll be forced to upgrade when it kills itself while you watch LOTR:FOTR.

Speaker cable: This unit has the thinnest wires I have ever seen. Looks to be about 20guage.

Aside from that, I can't really complain. Considering I paid $499 (my model didn't include a dvd-player) the unit has never disappointed me (except for the mentioned subwoofer). Just don't listen to any mega-buck systems and you'll never know what your missing.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Onkyo just came out with a 6.1 HTiB for $999. While I auditioned it, seems like a nice looking package and considering Onkyo is a good brand.
    Here's the link to one...http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_16895.htm

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Onkyo currently has a special on their website for a SR-600 receiver and a SKSHT-500 speaker set for $499. They are factory reconditioned, but that is still a very good price for a 6.1-capable (the SR-600 is 6.1 capable - Dolby EX & DTS-ES) system. You'd just have to get an additional back surround speaker (Onkyo sells one on their website - the SKB-100 - for $40 bucks. It goes along with the 5.1 SKSHT-500 set). The link to the SR-600/SKSHT-500 set is below.

This would definitely be a very nice set-up.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products_de...PKG&type=3&p=i

6. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

Kenwood makes serveral which I would recommend. They are not the best HTiB performance wise but you do get a very good "bang for your buck". Very good starter system I'd say.

Yamaha , Panasonic and Sony also make various HTiB's which I think are pretty decent (Plus they look pretty too).

I've never heard the Onkyo as previously mentioned, but they seem to be a popular choice.

Best bet is to go audition a bunch yourself. They're many HTiB's out there. Have fun!

7. Kamlesh

Kamlesh Auditioning

ONKYO DR-L50 rocks! It's not really loud but its packs a punch and is loaded with premium techs of today. Just buy it. I have one and it makes me proud everytime.
    Cheers
    k