HTIB with DVD or without?

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian
I am in the progress of planning out my HT system, so far am most likely going to be picking up a Panasonic TH-50PX600U (either later this year or early next year) and so I am also looking at the audio side of things.

For convenience, I was looking at one of the HTIB systems including a DVD player. However, most of these (currently) don't appear to have HDMI etc etc. So would I be better off buying a separate DVD player (of my choice) and amp/receiver/speakers combo (something like the Onkyo HT-S790).

I am leaning towards the separate DVD player route, because I want the option of upgrade's in the future. If I buy an HTIB with a DVD player, if for example I want to get an HD-DVD player down the line I have to sell/chuck my DVD player/Amp and then not only get the HD-DVD player, but also another amp. Does this make sense?

At some point I would like to hook up a games console, along with the TV, cable etc etc so again this has me leaning towards the separate DVD player route. Are there any advantages to the HTIB with a DVD player? (other than 1 less box) and can anyone give me some recommendations to an HTIB (similar price to the Onkyo above $400)

On the subject of upgrades, if (for example again) I were to pick up the Onkyo, and at a later date decided the speakers were crap (no idea if they are) is it easy enough to purchase new speakers and add to the Onkyo system? in this case, is it better to pick and choose what I want now (buy an amp from brand A, and front speakers from brand B, at a later date add center channel from brand C etc). Any great advantages/disadvantages to this? I would probably want to initially get an amp and front speakers/sub to begin with. Again any recommendations?

Ok, sorry for the long post, but I have never really looked into home audio (mostly car audio) and am learning as I go. Thanks.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Is $400 your absolute spending limit? I would strongly recomend completely seperate receiver and speakers, personally.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
These are both Velodyne products, these speakers should sound better than most HTIAB systems you can get for under $1000.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...V&sid=768c601j

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/539813201

Then combine them with a Pioneer receiver like this one.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&cm_keycode=93

The total for the system w/out speaker cables, interconnects, and shipping comes to $540. The Velodyne subwoofer has free ground shipping available and that takes a week. I am not certain on the shipping for the speakers. And the Pioneer can be picked up at Circuit City if you have one nearby. You could buy a spool of 250ft 16gauge wire for around $30 at a hardware store like Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards. I would also recomend Acoustic Research for interconnects that you need.

This system would definitely go above the HTIAB, just see if you can come up with the extra moola for it. If you can't come up with it, or don't have the patience
the HTIAB will work, just not as well as the proposed system.

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the replies, $400 is the budget at the moment (for at least an amp and pair of speakers). It's really the main reason behind my upgradeability questions, so that I can buy different parts as I can afford them.

I can't get either of the links to Velodyne products to work, can you post the model numbers and I can then look them up? Thanks.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
While reading your question, I get the feeling you are really not sure about the HTIB

Many people have gone this route and ended up spending more money to replace inferior equipment - why spend it twice?

Definitely go with a receiver and a pair of speakers first - you will get better quality right away, and have something to build on

If you are already into car audio, here's an analogy

HTIB = stock car speakers

I just thought of that one, but I think it applies

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian

Thanks, I guess I just wanted clarification. Part of me already knew that buying the components seperately was the best way to go. Just wondered if there was any advantage to the HTIB.

The Pioneer receiver Seth posted looks pretty decent, I had been looking at some Onkyo receivers and seen the Pioneer, but did not look too much into it. So if I were to buy the Pioneer, what would be a decent set of speakers (either bookshelf or floor standing) to match with it that would cost around the $150 - $200 mark (taking into account that I would want to go listen to them before buying them)?

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

First - for $150-200 - don't look for floorstanders - bookshelf only

Not sure where you live, but try to listen to some Paradigm or Energy speakers - both Canadian made, good value for the money

I suggest that you be of the mind set that these will be your future surround speakers - so get a good set, not too large, but good enough to start your stereo experience

Save up again and go get a larger set of bookshelf speakers - of the same brand ** important
Then save up and get a center channel

You will appreciate each step so much if you do this in 'phases'

Hope this helps - Good luck

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The links are working fine for me, not sure what the problem is.

Here are the model numbers: Subwoofer VX-10, on sale at www.vanns.com for $170

: Speaker system CHTFRSGV, on closeout for $200 on velodyne's website, they have white ones to.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo