What's new

HTIB video performance? (1 Viewer)

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Hello,

Could someone please explain to me what video performance means with a HTIB? I am considering the Onkyo HT-S6100 system and read on CNet that they were questioning how good the analog-to-HDMI video performance would be. I don't understand how the audio system affects video performance. Are they saying that with movies the audio won't be as good as say with CD's?

Thanks!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Welcome aboard, Jeff.

The Onkyo HTiB you're looking at is built around an audio-video receiver (often shortened to A/V receiver or even AVR hereabouts.) An A/V receiver allows you to connect both the audio and video outputs of your gear to the receiver, and then send a single video connection to your television. This simplifies switching between components as you no longer have to switch the TV to a different input and then do the same with the receiver. (This arrangement obviously requires having the receiver turned on. You can get around this for also connecting some components, like your cable or satellite box, directly to the TV for use when you don't want surround sound.)

The reviewers comments had nothing to do with the audio side of things. The focus was strictly on the video.

Some receivers will take analog inputs like composite video, s-video and component vido and convert them so that they can also be sent out over an HDMI cable to the TV. The CNet reviewer had reservations about how well the Onkyo handled this task. To convert the low-res composite and s-video signals to HDMI, the receiver also has to upscale them to resolution being used for the HDMI connection. This step is not necessary with component video, which can handle HD resolutions. Since I haven't read the review, I'm not sure if the reviewer was concerned about the upscaling of the low-res signals or the over-all analog-to-digital conversion. If the former, you won't have to worry unless you plan to use composite video or s-video to connect a piece of equipment.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Your insight was helpful. I think I understand now and I believe that the reviewer was referring to its performance on upscaling DVD's, so while it will effect some of the movies I watch, since I plan to buy a Blu Ray it won't be a major deterrent.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks