What's new

HTiB upgrade, is it within reason? (1 Viewer)

cardude007617

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I'm a 21 year old college student living in a small apartment and I'm looking to upgrade my OLD Sony HT-DDW750 with some new speakers. I'm looking at upgrading the Left/Right and Center speakers and using the same receiver, subwoofer and rear speakers. I'm on a "college" budget but I'm looking to replace those with the SSF-5000 and CN-5000. I'm just looking to make it sound a bit better, the regular factory are typical small HTiB speakers and I want just a little bit more. The room where my TV is is fairly small so I'm thinking the original receiver's power should be enough for these modest speakers. thanks for your time

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
If this is your HTib http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/sony-ht-ddw750/1707-6740_7-30469017.html Then you may be in luck as according to the spec's your receiver and speakers are 8 ohms. I would double check on your speakers to make sure. This will allow you to replace your existing speakers with new speakers that are rated for an 8 ohms. The most important speakers are your front stage and they should be timbre matched (same speaker or made from the same speaker components) You need to set up a budget for these three speakers and then go out and listen to and buy those that sound best to your ears.

cardude007617

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Yup that's it. I realize I have an old and out dated receiver which is why I'm not looking at spending a lot on speakers I wont see the gains of. I thought that those sony speakers I listed would be a nice upgrade over what the htib came with.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Look, I hate to say it, but Sony speakers are just not very good. If you're going for an upgrade, you might as well do it right. First off, don't get towers, you're spending more money for the enclosing than the acoustics. Get some bookshelfs; they produce just as much sound and are less expensive. Maybe look at Fluance; they are reasonably inexpensive but will give you a much better sound. (Of course, listening to speakers first is the preferred approach.) If you have a budget, that would help us provide better suggestions.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
cardude007617 said:
Yup that's it. I realize I have an old and out dated receiver which is why I'm not looking at spending a lot on speakers I wont see the gains of. I thought that those sony speakers I listed would be a nice upgrade over what the htib came with.
Here is a hint the biggest factor that will effect how your system will sound is your speaker selection. Even with and older outdated receiver you will find a vast improvement over your current speakers as long as it is still operating correctly. Naturally you budget and personal tastes will determine what you settle on but if you do it right you can get a start on a nice sounding system that will last you for many years and other equipment upgrades. While I don't have any direct experience with the Fluance brand they are frequently recommended as a good lower priced speakers by many on this forum. After you make a center stage upgrade you might want to look for a new sub as your next target. Leave the surround speakers for last.

cardude007617

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Well I already ordered the Sony SSF-5000 for my front left/right channels off of Amazon. The reviews are very strong and the price is right. I know they aren't the greatest, but again, I live in a small apartment and I don't want to push my luck with my neighbors below and behind me. I'll get the matching center CN5000. If it really doesn't work out, I'll probably keep my eyes open for a newer receiver of some sort. I wish I could find a simple one WITHOUT the HDMI stuff. I only use my home theater system occasionally for "good action" movies and don't see a need to always have to go through it everytime I want to use my PS3, Blu Ray player or anything else as I just have my devices hooked up to my TV directly with HDMIs. Thanks for the suggestions, I just didn't want to spend more than $100 on my speakers, I know that DOES limit my options but for what I want (a bit of a sound upgrade) I think I'll be happy.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Paul, Believe me no matter how much you spend on a new receiver you will not achieve much if any in sound improvement over the Sony speakers that you just purchased. Your new receiver may have tons of new features and bells and whistles but what comes out of your speakers will not change much. Since you acted so quickly I wonder why you posted in the first place as you sure didn't listen to much our advise. Putting a good HT together takes time, patience and a bit of research so that you get the best bang for your buck.

cardude007617

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Yes I realize they are not the greatest speakers in the world, but they must be better than what the HTiB came with. Besides, look at the reviews of BOTH speakers on Amazon, both are 4.5/5 stars, people must be satisfied with them. Show me a package of NEW speakers (Left/Center/Right) for

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Paul, everyone hears things differently, and have different preferences for what sounds good and appeals to them. Reviews from other people on speakers are not at all indicative of whether or not you'll like them.

That's why, without exception, we recommend that one listen to as many speakers as possible before making a purchase. You should find out what you like, then you can find a speaker that fits your budget AND will sound good. Right now, you've only ensured half of that equation. The old speakers were Sony and you weren't satisfied, so you got different Sony speakers...

Compared to every other component of a home theater system (TV/display, receiver, player, etc.) the speakers are the one component that can outlast EVERYTHING ELSE. It therefore makes much more sense to spend wisely on speakers so you only buy them once.

Regardless, I hope the new speakers work out for you. Should you decide to upgrade other components in the future (like the receiver), I hope you'll come back here and give us a bit more time to help you choose something that will meet all of your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks