What's new

HTIB Suggestion... (1 Viewer)

Dan Paulson

Auditioning
I know most of you would never suggest a HTIB, but my roomate just got a job at BestBuy, and we were going to get an Onkyo HT-S660, but BB doesn't sell it. I was wondering if there's anything they do sell there that would be comprable, and under the $500 dollar limit. We need a reciever, 2 fronts, 2 rears, a center, and a sub. Thanks for any help.

Dan Paulson

Auditioning
Just looking around, I saw these as possibilities...

Panasonic 700W Home Theater System w/5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD-Video/DVD-Audio Changer
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

Kenwood 600-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Audio System with 100-Watt Powered Sub
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

And looking at the prices, I might be interested in getting all the peices seperatly, I just don't know what makes a good front or rear speaker. I was looking at the
floorstanding speakers for the fronts, but wasn't sure what to look at for the backs...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You can no doubt find a good many receivers for under $200. I don’t really have any recommendations, as there are a lot of models and I’ve never been interested in comparing them.

I have recently heard some lower-end 5.1 speaker systems from Acoustic Research that impressed me quite a bit. The HC6 can be found for around $400. There are also HC5, HC4, HC3, HC2 and HC1 5.1 sets, which cost progressively less. I have only listened to the HC6, but if the rest of line hits the same valve for money as does the HC6, you might give these a listen.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

I know this has been beaten into the ground on these threads already, but since you will be getting the BB discount you may want to look into doing separates. I did this last fall (purchasing from BB) and it came in a little under $700 without any employee discount so you may be able to get this under $500:

- JBL NSPI package (now I guess they stock the NSPIIs)
- Sony SAWM40 sub (new model out now, can't remember the number)
- Entry-level Kenwood receiver (VR-605, might be a new model by now). Does DTS, Pro-logic 2, etc.

This doesn't include the DVD player though, but prices for good 5-disc changers are approaching $100. If you can't get all of that under $500, I would honestly recommend getting everything BUT the sub and add that at a later date when you have a bit more money.

hey dude, try this out:

Logitech Z-680 speaker system - $288 @ www.harddrive.com

5.1 speaker system; 500w ; THX certified. (That means you'll Never get a better sound from those "Home Theatre in a Box" all-in-one systems).

Logitech system has analog, digital audio inputs, remote control, and built in digital audio decoder to send those frequencies to the proper places. This system directly compares with Klipsch Promedia 5.1's, another PC speaker system (also THX). Klipsch's cost around $400.

You'll need a entry level progressive scan DVD player; ~$120 or so (Best Buy?)

14 gauge speaker cable - Home Depot.

For around $475, including cables,
those boxed systems won't touch this set up!

hey dude, try this out:

Logitech Z-680 speaker system - $288 @ www.harddrive.com

5.1 speaker system; 500w ; THX certified. (That means you'll Never get a better sound from those "Home Theatre in a Box" all-in-one systems).

Logitech system has analog, digital audio inputs, remote control, and built in digital audio decoder to send those frequencies to the proper places. This system directly compares with Klipsch Promedia 5.1's, another PC speaker system (also THX). Klipsch's cost around $400.

You'll need a entry level progressive scan DVD player; ~$120 or so (Best Buy?)

14 gauge speaker cable - Home Depot.

For around $475, including cables,
those boxed systems won't touch this set up! THX certified

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks