HTIB Sub- can I improve it instead of throwing it out ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ralph B, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

Dimensions (WxDxH) - 14.2 in x 15 in x 15 in

the cabinet is in great shape. 12" woofer & 120w amp. no settings but gain on it.

it bottoms out easily and sounds very boomy. distorts very easily even calibrated correctly.

I ordered a SVS 25-31PC+ and really have no need for it but dont think anyone would be interested in buying it. maybe it could be a second sub with improvements like a new plate amp and woofer ?

what do you guys think ? im not familiar in building or upgrading subs but if someone could recommend a sub and amp to replace whats in it I can easily do that.

is it worth putting the money into it ? the cabinet seems decent. I think the woofer and amp are to blame mostly. anything at parts express that would be good for it ? id hate to throw it out. i think it could be a decent sub.

BTW: it is ported on the back and front firing. also it is made by JVC.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ralph,

Have you tried working with the sub by stuffing it with a bit of polyfill?

I think going through the effort to use the existing case and buy a new driver and amp would not be a good use of time. Since the cabinet is vented already, it might really throw off the performance potential of the new driver if you were to install nice, new driver.

I think minimally, you could just try to polyfill it. See how it sounds. If it isn't much better, you could dontate the sub and take a tax write off. Or, post it in a local Usenet group for your area. I'm sure someone in your area is looking for a budget sub and yours might be right for them.

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

It is already stuffed with polyfill.

I would think anything would sound better than the driver that is in it. what about stuffing the port with a new driver and amp ? usenet ??????

too bad. [​IMG] what a waste.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ralph,

Usenet is the term for the newsgroups. You could head over to Deja.com and see if there is a local for sale group in your area. You could then put the sub for sale out there.

Keep in mind that replacing he sub and driver will also mean that the standard cabinet is probably not properly braced to handle what you would be installing. If you would go as far to purchase a new driver and plate amp, I could also recommend building a new (and proper) cabinet to house them.

5. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

i will check it out.

well I wouldnt want to build as I ordered an SVS. im just trying to find use for this cabinet cause it seems decent and solid.

6. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I haven't gone back and checked, but how far wrong can Ralph go if he seals the port and inserts a 12" Shiva driver or equivalent and a 250W plate amp? Even if the enclosure isn't the perfect size, sealed enclosures are supposed to be fairly forgiving, aren't they?

7. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

thats what I figured Bob, its got to sound better than it does now. I have heard guys online build the same type of small box sealed and it sounds great.

but im not the expert. I dont want to waste money if you guys think its a waste. if I thought it was a piece of junk I wouldnt bother. but its solidly built.

I did stuff the port with a shirt and it performed better but still the amp cant do it justice as the driver is a wimp.