HTIB Sub and Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Carrie-P, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Carrie-P

Carrie-P Auditioning

I have a HTIB that i was using in my bedroom. I've moved the receiver/dvd player to another room, but would still like to use the speakers with a standalone receiver. My main home theater is another room and I really didn't want to invest in another set of expensive speakers. My subwoofer only has speaker wire and not the regular sub cable. How would I go about hooking it up to my receiver (Kenwood VR209)? Or do I have to buy a new sub?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the Forum!

If the sub has only speaker wire for its connection, then you need a separate amplifier to drive it. A friend of mine had the same problem when he “graduated” from a HTIB to a receiver. He simply used the HTIB as the amplifier for the sub. Since you’re still using the HTIB on the other room, I guess that isn’t an option for you. What you might do is go to a pawnshop or garage sale and pick up the cheapest old stereo receiver you can find. It would work as the amp.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Carrie-P

Carrie-P Auditioning

Thanks so much for your help...I brought back in the receiver in the bedroom and hooked it up and it works perfectly. I thought I was going to have to buy a new subwoofer!!

Thanks!