HTIB question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brian Reece, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brian Reece

Brian Reece Auditioning

I have a giftcard for $300 to spend on a home theater system, which I received for purchasing a Sony 32" Wega Flatscreen. Before this I was trying to build my home theater slowly. I realize that a HTIB is not ideal. What I'm looking for is to possibly comb the system for a salvagable piece that would complement what I already have.

So I'm looking at the following systems, what would have any components worth having.

JVC THA35
    Panasonic SCHT700
    JVC DSTP582DVD
    Onkyo HTS660S
    Yamaha YHT540

I am already set with a Center Speaker from Polk Audio. I don't have any of other speakers yet. I was planning on using Polk for my speakers. I have an old Pioneer receiver, with no worthwhile inputs.

So what I really would like from one of these systems in a good sub, a second DVD player, or a decent receiver.

Any thoughts?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well no HTIB in a box is really gonna give you anything that great.

Try looking to buy stuff that may be refurbished or on sale... seperates are usually the way to go, by that I mean buying speakers, subwoofer, and reciever seperate so you get the most out of what you are gonna buy.

If you are really looking for a HTIB though I would look towards the Yamaha system as they aren't bad, but combining any of those systems with a Polk center channel, the Polk will just overpower them.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Brian. You will find the information you need on these boards.

FYI, the Basics area was set up for newcomers to home theater as a section where questions about the essentials of the hobby can be asked. That is, queries about basic definitions of concepts and the functions of the various components and other such matters.

For price-comparison information, or for recommendations about specific pieces of gear, post in the area devoted to that topic. Since you're asking about HTiBs, in a sense, I have moved your thread to the A/V Sources area.

Please feel free to contact me via PM if you have any questions.

Good luck!