HTiB, $250-$350 Budget, 15 X 25 Room

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James Kursar, Nov 10, 2005.

1. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

Hey all, I was referred to this forum and was told to ask for your opinions. I currently have a 20' Phillips TV but the sound on the unit is broken it seems, as I increase the volume, it buzzes. So I'm hoping a HTiB will help fix my problem.

I am hopefully looking to purchase a 5.1 system, but don't know if my budget will allow. I have read other suggestions about getting a 2.1 for now and upgrading later, but I would rather do 5.1 now.

I have a Best Buy, Comp USA, and Circuit City whether where I live or someone could travel to these locations to pick up a unit. If possible, I would like to spend $350 shipped max.

I have read about Onkyo products and also Pioneer and am looking for suggestions. Thanks all

James

2. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

made this in the forum, could a admin please move it to AV sources. Sorry for the inconvience.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Done. Good call.

4. John S

John S Producer

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

There are a few things that will that budget in a 5.1 system. Personally I'd do a receiver + two speakers with that and add to it. Onkyo is good gear. Panasonic and Toshiba are also decent and make stuff in that price range. Hit their web sites to see what's offered. Then check in the stores and/or online for price and availability. But I'd strongly recommend you read the primer/FAQ here before buying anything so you'll be a more knowledgeable buyer.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd say that Onkyo HTIB is your best bet. At $350 I doubt you could really do much better even if you spent the full amount on a receiver and 2 speakers. The ecost shipping is going to be pretty high (probably around $75) but you'll still come in well under what you would find the same HTIB from anywhere else and also within your budget. I know a few people with that setup and it does well in smaller rooms until the sub reaches its limits. For your budget it's definitely a good deal and the impact a full 5.1 setup w/ sub can make is pretty great, especially going from TV speakers, and even moreso going from broken tv speakers!

Good luck!

7. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered the S770 refurb. Will I need to buy additional cables, wiring, etc ? I'm assuming the manual will let me know, but I would like to get a heads up on it.

I read forums that suggested it really wouldnt be worth it to upgrade to new wiring as the benefit I would see with a budget system would not even be noticeable. This hold true for me as well?

8. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

AFAIK those systems normally come complete -- all the needed stuff to hook it up is there. Unless something's missing I'd stick with what was provided to start with. It will be adequate. Then look to swap a composite video for S-video cable if that's possible and if the speaker wire is really lightweight then I'd swap it out for something heavier.

9. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

eh, just checked the status of the order and saw it was Discontinued. They say to call, but Im doubt they are going to have one in stock any time soon seeing as how it is refurb.

Upon further searching... I found the Onkyo HT-S770S for $419.06 shipped from 6th Ave.

My dilemma now is to whether spend the extra $100, which I would rather not do, wait and see if they ever come back in stock, buy another HTiB for under 350.00, or piece meal 5.1 system with similar parts as a Onkyo 760 or 770 for around the same price.

One quick question, seeing as how the holiday season is around the corner, are there ever big discounts on Onkyo systems? If there are, what stores usually sell them that I could pick them up at, as opposed to paying shipping.

At this point, I am asking for suggestions or other HTiB's, or systems as I really don't know anything about speakers or sytems for that matter and am getting quite frustrated with the whole selection process..

Thanks all.

10. John S

John S Producer

I'd call them for sure. This has been a staple product for them for quite some time.

I'd bet they will be getting more of the refurbs in.

11. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

Well, I called up Ecost and tehey confirmed that they are no longer carrying the product and cancelled my order. When I asked why I didn't receive an email telling me why the order was cancelled, the CSR just kept telling me "it appears that no e-mail was sent"

So, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Onkyo HT-S670 Home Theater. Its priced about $100 cheaper, and was wondering if it would still be a nice There is also the HT-S680 series. I notice the speakers are smaller in the 680's, but can't find any good reviews on them. Does the 680 series sacrificice quality for space?

12. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

Hi James,

I own the Onkyo HT-S780 system, here's a link to my writeup with some pics (front speaker arrangement is cleaner now with the new stands I got and some wire management, pardon the muss)
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=244999

It's the 7.1 version of the HTS680. It's got bigger fronts and center that sound quite good, were just the size I was looking for.

I picked this system up at Circuit City locally, and you can have them match their web sale price at $449, and then you can get a 25.00 mail in rebate besides, bringing it down to 424.99. Don't know if that's beyond your realm of financial comfort, but it's a terrific system, and a killer value.

If you have any questions about it, fire away! [​IMG]

13. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

Well,

I went to Ebay and found the Onkyo HT-S770 for $320.00 + $30.00 tax. I haggled the seller to give me free shipping. This is a new sealed package. So, if it all works out, I'm paying an additional $40.00 from the Ecost one, but this one is new and my preferred silver color.

Well let you all know how it turns out. Awaiting the seller to change amount to reflect no shipping..

(crosses fingers)

14. James Kursar

James Kursar Auditioning

Hey all,

All i have to say is WoW! Got the system last night.. and had to run to best buy to buy some digital audio coax cables and some composite video cables... Set up speakers, put in Jurassic Park, and watched and listened in pure bliss.

Had to hook up TV to receiver with analog cables, but it still beats tv speakers anyday.

Highly recommended. And sounded better than the $2000 Bose system a Best Buy guy was trying to sell to some unknowing customer. I should get some 16 gage speaker wires and upgrade subwoofer cable, but i'll wait til christmas for those.

Thanks for all the help guys.

15. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

All's well that ends well! [​IMG] Glad it worked out.

16. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

Great system...enjoy!