What's new

HTF's own Gregg Loewen professionaly calibrates my new Toshiba RPTV (1 Viewer)

Eric Paavola

Auditioning
:) :D Today I was very blessed. Gregg came by and did his calibration expertise on my Tosh 57H81. I thought I already had a good picture, but after Gregg was finished I truly see a fantastic picture. I would highly recommend Gregg to anyone who can get his service. The picture has increased detail, blacker blacks and whiter whites. The color leaps out at you. Thanks again Greeg you did a great job.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'll second Gregg's work! My 47" Panasonic PT-47WX49 never looked better!

Now to go buy a replacement front chassis as the factory one is ganked.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Gregg calibrated my Mits 46" 16:9 at my local HT meet on Saturday 2/2. Let me say, the results are amazing. Picture quality is outstanding. Colors, black levels, sharpness, everyting looks beautiful. I did a lot of my own tweaking and thought it looked great, Gregg made it look awesome.
I cannot recommend his services enough.
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Gregg also did my set that same saturday. Re-shuffling the protective screen to the back made a significant difference. Probably the most noticeable change was the Herman-TLV manuever. The thickness of the lines of the convergence grid is about half of what they used to be, especially the blue, which was quite fuzzy before. Everything is nice and sharp now. It was very interesting seeing how the greyscale was calibrated. I had already tweaked a lot of settings and was quite pleased with my picture before, and was doubtful what further enhancements could be made. However, it's obvious now that the set is performing to full potential after Gregg had calibrated it.

Thanks a lot Gregg, and do let us know how Peter's super bowl party was!

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Exactly what do you mean "reshuffling the protective screen to the back"? I have a Pioneer Elite with a protective screen, I've been thinking of removing it. Just curious what you mean to the back.

Thanks

Jerry

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Reshuffling the protective screen is simply re-ordering the 3 screens so that instead of the protective screen being the outermost screen, it is the innermost, that the CRT-light hits first, instead of last. The other 2 screens, the lenticular and fresnel screens keep the same order.

Depending on how your set is designed this may or may not be possible. On my set (TW40x81) all three screens are held in place by brackets along each edge. Thus by moving the reflective screen to the back, the overall thickness of all 3 screens combined remains the same, so the brackets still fit. Some sets have individual thickness slots that each of the 3 screens slide into, thus on these sets you cannot reshuffle because the thicker protective screen will not fit into the thinner slot in the back. In this case you just remove the protective screen completely.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Depending on how your set is designed this may or may not be possible.
On my Mits, it is not possible, so Gregg removed it. But, my daughter and her little friends like to come over and watch movies, w/o a protective screen, I was a bit paranoid about damage.
Went to Home Depot and bought a 30"x60" sheet of plexy glass and some wood trim. Cut the plexy to fit, attached the wood trim to the perimeter of the plexy and now I have a removable protective screen. It slides over the outside face of the TV.
Works great, protects the screen and comes off in a split second. All for less then $20.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Gregg,

Do you, or any of the other ISFs, recommend a reshuffle of the screens, or is removing the glare screen entirely a preferable method?

Also, have there been any leads or fixes for the "ghosting" problem that many Toshiba RPTVs have?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Still no solution to the ghosting. Toshiba is still working on that.

Screen RE-stack ... recommended but ... ideally we would just like to remove it altogether from the TV but circumstances tend to dictate otherwise.

We re-stack to maintain screen rigidity ... or can use weather striping or something else ...

We re-stack so that we can store the plexiglass somewhere safe and out of the way.

We re-stack because the back of the fresnel lens is also reflective so increased internal reflections are minimal.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI guys!

Im at LAX right now, just finished 14 calibrations, including 3 pioneers, 4 Mits, and a bunch of Toshs.

The highlights of this trip have included:

Lunch on the Santa Monica Pier

Ron P's HTF party, the best HT room I have ever seen!

Calibrating Peter Staddon's 73" mits. Gawd it was beautiful.Then the Patriots won the game - it didnt get any better than it did that Sunday.

On Tuesday evening I was a guest of QSC audio and attended the Academy's Bake Off for audio mixing / special effects. The Fast and the Furious is truly awesome at reference volumes in a state of the art theater.

Jeff, use foam core board, which can be purchased at Officedepot. If I remember right the 30x40 " one costs about $6. You will then need to buy some grey or black spray paint. Your 40" tosh is about 38.5" ? wide so the 40" will be perfect. Not sure about teh hieght of each right now, I think it is 4.5 " ?? Use a couple of velcro tabs to hold them up. The entire project will cost less than $10 and it is clearly the best bang for the buck tweek one can do.

Later guys, off to Seattle...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What about meeting me as a highlight?
I'm hurt.
Seriously, glad you had a good time. Hope those airport security guys don't hassle you too much with your calibration equipment. Of course, if you can put it all in your shoe, apparently you'll have no problems getting it on board... :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Geez Gregg, did ya quit your Day Job ?

Glad your having a good trip, any more info on the color decoder tweak?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron P's HTF party, the best HT room I have ever seen!
WOW Gregg, thanks for the very kind comment. Sounds like your are enjoying your trip. Hope the rest goes just as well.
Michael, you will be amazed.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Gregg made his way from L.A. up to Seattle and has calibrated my set (Toshiba 65H80). I won't go into much of the details of the calibration since it has been covered here already.

He arrived from the airport at about 8pm. I put some pizza in his belly while he set up his equipment. He went through his paces and about 1:00 in the morning he had finished. We put in a few movies to check out the finished product (it looked awesome!!). Before the calibration, I had never been truely satisfied with the way black and white movies looked. I could never get the blacks to be pure black and the grays to be pure grey. They always had either a slight blueish or greenish tint, no matter how much I played with the settings. So after putting in a few color movies I popped in a black and white one and WOW!!! This is what black's and white's should look like! I can finally watch those movies without worrying about how the color looks!

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Finally got some time to put in a few comments!

On his recent LA area tour Gregg calibrated my Pioneer Elite 510. As many who own the set know, Pioneers do very well out of the box, in terms of geometry, colors and even greyscale as Gregg will atest to. That said, after a bit of work Gregg was able to get my greyscale tracking much more consistently across the whole range. Pre-calibration it was around 6500K in a couple of places, but off a lot at the end-points. Probably the biggest asset of the calibration was getting a very nice, consistent greyscale set - as Jesse mentioned, black & white movies is where this really shines.

I'd like to thank Gregg for the job, and keeping me informed as he was going - I learnt a fair bit during the time he spent on the set, which was important to me as I was curious about the tweaks involved in doing such a calibration.

Hope to see you back around this way again Gregg!

Eric Paavola

Auditioning
Jeff,

I just made mattes for my 57H81 this weekend. I bought the material at Office Depot. It was a 4ft X 5ft. sheet of 3/16 display board. I'm not sure of the exact size but it was the biggest piece there. They have various sizes. It cost me ~$12.00. I also got some velcro at OD. I then went to Home Depot and bought a can of flat black spray paint. I cut the pieces I needed to cover the screen where there is no picture on a 2.35 movie, painted the pieces and velcroed them in place. It made a visible improvement.

This tweak was suggested to me by Gregg when he came by to do a calibration.

Eric

Gregg stopped by here in Tacoma yesterday and did my set. I must say I am very very happy with how my set looks bad. Out of the box, I thought the picture was fine, but after Gregg's work, it looks much much better. My geometery was WAY off and that took some time to get correct. The screen reshuffling made a big difference as well.

Anyway, it was a pleasure meeting Gregg and having him "tune-up" my Toshiba 50H81.....I would suggest him to anyone.....thanks Gregg!

Brian in Tacoma, WA

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I watched Gregg in action at Ron P's party. He came across as quite professional and very knowledgeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks