What's new

HTF Vegetarians? (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I was just wondering if there were any more out there. What or (where) do you eat in a "fast-food" situation? How long have you been one?

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I am not a "vegetarian" by definition. I do not eat meat. I just started recenlty, about three weeks ago. Hey, you have to start some time. I would recommend Subway right of the top of my head. Do you have Harvey's in the US. If you do they have a vegeterian burger. You could go to places like McDonalds and get a salad and fries, I don't know what food you like. I would imagine that MDs uses vegetable oil in their cooking. I don't don't eat out a lot so there are probably people who can help you out more. You live in California so shoudn't this be easy for you :laugh:

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
My wife was a vegetarian for about two years. We ate at home a lot more, and fast food was usually limited to "garden" salads (typically pretty gross), Subway (lots of good choices), or Wendy's (baked potato). Fast food retaurants are very vegetarian unfriendly, no matter what their marketing suggests. If there are fewer than three meatless choices on the menu, then the restaurant is NOT a good choice.

Our strategy finally evolved to trying to find neighborhood, non-chain restaurants. If you take a little extra time (and plan ahead), you'd be amazed at how many vegetarian restaurants (or restaurants with lots of meatless choices) there are within a few blocks of the fast food joints. Once we set our minds to finding these places, our enjoyment level shot up 1,000% and--now that we've got a long list of tried and true choices--we we're never at a loss for someplace to go when we're out.

Finally, these restaurants are cleaner, more relaxed and have better service than the fast food dumps. And they often have a friendly staff with lots of additional ideas for vegetarian-friendly places to eat (these people are a nice change of pace from the sullen counter staff at McDonald's, et al).

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to avoid meat much of the time (have done so for a number of years). I don't, as a rule, eat fast food burgers. Here are some of the things I typically eat at fast food, when I have to eat fast food:

Wendy's: Baked potato. They used to have a good wrap with lettuce and feta cheese, but they discontinued it.

Taco Bell: Seven-layer burritos (but without guacamole, since guac + sour cream is just too much!)

Taco John's: TJ's will make tacos with beans instead of meat at no extra charge.

Subway: Veggie sandwich. Especially tasty now that they have good bread choices and more dressings.

Burger King in our area (or everywhere?) has just introduced the BK Veggie burger. I tried it and liked it pretty well. It's a little too salty, but it was okay -- and it's waaaaay healthier than almost anything else on their menu! If I'm forced to go to McDonald's, I'll eat a chicken sandwich. Their salads are nasty, IMO.

As a general rule, I agree with Bill. There are usually better options than fast food. Fast food sure is convenient sometimes, though, especially when you're on the road. I'm really hoping that other burger chains will follow BK in offering a veggie burger.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is vegetarian and we dont find too much problem when we go out to eat. The only places that we dont go to much are BBQ, burger joints, steak, or seafood places. Otherwise, there seems to be enough variety on the menu for her to choose from.

She was really mad when Wendy's discontinued their wraps. She really liked the greek one.

The burger king veggie burger is pretty good, however, I cringe to think that they would cook it on the same grill as the regular burgers (not for me, but for her).

As far as fast food, the sandwich places are always a safe bet.

-ikiru

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I woke up about a month ago and decided not to eat meat anymore, I just got sick of it and the thought of eating it made me feel sick inside.

So far i've gone a month without fast food and I don't miss it at all, so I can't comment on that front. To be honest I haven't given up on all meats, Fish is the only meat that doesn't repulse me now.

For those who have been vegetarian for a while, my friends say it isn't healthy not to occasionally have some red-meat for iron intake. What is the truth to that, and how do you get around it? Vitamin pills??

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
For those who have been vegetarian for a while, my friends say it isn't healthy not to occasionally have some red-meat for iron intake. What is the truth to that, and how do you get around it? Vitamin pills??
Iron is easy. Eat a multivitamin every day.

What you're really missing by not eating meat is protein. Go to your local GNC or health food store (or any grocery that caters to vegetarians), and buy a can of protein supplement. Typically, the supplement is mixed with milk, or water, or juice, and it gives you enough protein to make up for what you're not getting from meat.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm always sure to take a multi. Even from my "western" doctor, he says I'm getting plenty of protein from Lentils, Tofu, Beans etc. All the major leafy green veggies have iron, kale, spinach. It is true though, some vewgetarians just dont know how to eat right. Many of them are pasty and to thin. Its just lack of knowledge. I switched to a non-meat diet years ago, because I couldn't get my cholesterol to go down and I didn't want to take drugs for the rest of my life. I have went from 250 to well under 200. I think this just works for some people.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I have been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and even though I try and avoid fast-food when I do end up going I usually just get fries. Or at Wendy's a baked potato and salad rules all.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
What you're really missing by not eating meat is protein. Go to your local GNC or health food store (or any grocery that caters to vegetarians), and buy a can of protein supplement. Typically, the supplement is mixed with milk, or water, or juice, and it gives you enough protein to make up for what you're not getting from meat.
Frankly this is balls.
I have been a veggie all my life and never once bothered to eat anything with any care for what protein or whatever it contained.
I don't like the taste of fish or meat (and I've tried). I actually think I don't like iron because I have no love of cabbage, Brussels sprouts or broccholi, for example.
Burger King have been doing the over-priced (and fairly average) Veggie Whopper for about 10 years over here I think.
It's odd that you ask this Zen. Here in Britain it's easy to be veggie. What's weird is how quickly things take over. For example I would say a meat-based lasagne is actually becoming a rarity in favour of the veggie version - even most meat eaters agree that it's generall nicer.
Odd world!:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
It's odd that you ask this Zen.
I was only curious to see if there were fellow htf'ers who also were vegetarian. Kind of a "getting to know you thing". I'm a veggie-veteran and have the luxury of living in a very multi-cultural area that caters to the veg diet. Man BK, 10 years with the veggie burger in UK? It has only been introduced this year here. ;)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
TheoGB,

You may want to check your vitamin B-12 level, as vegetarians tend to lack that nutrient. Just ask my Dad (vegetarian since the day he was born).

And to answer the original question, Wendy's the best veg-friendly fast-food joint I know of.

-JNS

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
My experience with most restaurants has been "the old roll your eyeballs at me". I am almost vegetarian, the only animal product I eat is chicken, and being allergic to dairy (I break out in hives)Subway and all other sandwich places are not an option, unless I ask them to clean the knives before they prepare my order.

The food prepares just LOVE me. Has anyone ever heard of cross contamination?

And as for salad bars, they're just breeding grounds for bacteria.

My friend is a chiropractor and with his back ground of microbiology(?) wouldn't touch the salad bar for all the money in world. And as for fast food restaurants, one of his patients is a top ex. McDs and strictly forbids her family from eating their "food".

Makes ya wonder.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
You may want to check your vitamin B-12 level, as vegetarians tend to lack that nutrient. Just ask my Dad (vegetarian since the day he was born).
I wouldn't know how to. I don't get sick, I don't lack energy (as anyone who knows me would tell you) - I am possibly on the light side but not underweight. I have good blood pressure (last time someone checked it). So I'm not about to go popping pills. Meat is not an essential part of diet - people can live healthily on all kinds of foods. I seem to remember reading that popcorn is a quite a good diet!!:D
Zen: I would reckon the UK is probably THE most vegetarian-friendly country in the world, so it's not surprising you'd see Veggie options in BK and others.
Pubs are still a bit ropey but you'd be hard-pressed to find a single restaurant here without a vegeterian selection. To my mind the best vegetarian food you can buy is Indian food - there is always a good selection of stuff with no meat in. And it's the most tasty food anyway.;)

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
TheoGB,

I couldn't agree more about Indian food. Love it, love it, love it. It's not always especially healthy, though, even meatless (rich, buttery curry sauces). Still, I just adore the stuff. I've never had a dish I didn't like at an Indian restaurant.

And of course, you live in (probably) the best city in the world for Indian food -- lucky you!

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
TheoGB,
Word to the mother.
Indian food is where it's at for veggie especially. I made a good deal with my grandmother actually - she taught me Indian cooking and I taught her how to use Windows 2000 and the Internet.
I think I got the better deal :D
-JNS

TheoGB

Screenwriter
And of course, you live in (probably) the best city in the world for Indian food -- lucky you!
Nope, Manchester and Brum (possibly in reverse order) are better. And I would think to be fair there's an entire sub-continent that is the best place for Indian cuisine! ;)
(Sorry Brum = Birmingham.)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm not vegetarian, but I can honestly say it shouldn't be too hard to find food. Now Vegans have the real problem. One of my friends is Vegan, and boy was it hard for him to eat food.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks