Htf Umd Review: S.w.a.t.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Galindo, Aug 4, 2005.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

[c]S.W.A.T. (UMD)
    Region 1 • PG-13 • Dolby Digital • Available Now

[​IMG][/c]

Aside from the usual faults Sony has with UMDs, this movie looks and sounds pretty nice.

Thoughts on the Movie

I hadn’t seen SWAT up until now, and it was a pretty fun action flick, certainly one to bust out the popcorn for. Colin Farrell plays a cop who just got de-promoted to gun cage, and Samuel L. Jackson plays the captain who needs to build a SWAT team. He recruits Michelle Rodriguez and LL Cool J for the force, along with two other teammates who are just faceless enough to be critical later in the movie. An interesting development occurs halfway through the movie, and from there the movie really takes off. It’s not an action extravaganza, but still quite a ride and lots of fun. I really enjoyed it.

Jeez, that was a short movie critique. I better fill this section out some more. Uh, let’s see… I think Michelle Rodriguez is really hot. Colin Farrell did a really great job as the main guy, and watching Samuel L. Jackson as a good cop in the movie is really weird for me after playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas since Jackson played a bad cop in that game (Officer Tenpenny). And Michelle Rodriguez is really hot. Or did I say that already? Whoops, I sure did. Ah well.

SO, if you like action movies that actually have reasoning behind all the action (unlike, oh, xXx) then you should check this movie out.

Video Quality

SWAT has some really great colors and sharpness, but has been cropped from its original 2.35 ratio. It still looks really great regardless. There were not any moments that seemed wrong due to the framing (unlike Ghostbusters), but that still doesn’t excuse the crops.

Still, this movie looks really good. Not Black Hawk Down good, but close.

4/5
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Audio Quality

Audio can be very integral for these action movies, and Sony delivers an awesome audio track. Everything is loud and sharp, and there were some great surround moments. The guns all sound crisp and loud, and the bass is nicely done. Great stuff.

4.5/5

Extras

Generic menus. No chapter selection. Ah, the good ol’ Sony standard.

We get three trailers this time (xXx: State of the Union, Charlie’s Angels, and Hitch), but that can hardly be considered an extra. So… don’t expect much presentation wise.

0/5

Overall…

While the menus and cropping sucks, the video, audio and price ($12-17) are right on the money. It’s definitely one to pick up if you feel the need for some action, that’s for sure. The front quote by Roger Ebert (“Best cop movie since Training Day!”) isn’t accurate in my books, but it’s still a great movie.

3/5

2. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Looking up the specs, the movie was filmed in Super35, therefore no cropping should occur if the presentation is open-matte.

Regarding the Ebert quote, I was suspicious, so I looked up his review, here's a summary: "This isn't a John Woo movie, or Bad Boys 2, or any of the other countless movies with wall-to-wall action and cardboard characters. [..] the movie's ambition is essentially to be the same kind of police movie they used to make before special effects upstaged human beings. The result is one of the best cop thrillers since Training Day."

The "one of" addition definitely changes the tone of the quote you listed. Plus how many cop movies came out between the Training Day and SWAT?

3. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I thought that quote was fishy. Also, Im willing to bet the transfer was cropped from the original widescreen transfer since thats how Sony likes to do things.

But I cant believe they changed Ebert's quote...hah, not the first time I guess. [​IMG]