What's new

Directors HTF Tournament: Reviving the Icons of Cinema (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I have my 2nd and would use it on Herrmann if it would get the tournament started, but we're still a few short so I prefer to save it for Cassavetes, F.W. Murnau, Luis Bunuel or Carl Th. Dreyer. Just a hint :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Brook K said:
I have my 2nd and would use it on Herrmann if it would get the tournament started, but we're still a few short so I prefer to save it for Cassavetes, F.W. Murnau, Luis Bunuel or Carl Th. Dreyer. Just a hint :D
And good hints they are.
Ric, I love Jim Morrison's music and The Doors, but I just can't see exactly what Morrison did for movies.
But if anybody asks, people are probably wondering why I picked certain choices. For example, John Belushi is in this tournament. The simplest answer I can give is that not only was John Belushi a comedic icon from comedy classics such as The Blues Brothers and Animal House, but he's also a tragic example of the excesses of Hollywood. His life was cut short due to all the bad things about successful star life.
This is kind of in the same vein as Rock Hudson (died of AIDS?), though he had a much larger film resume.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I have my 2nd and would use it on Herrmann if it would get the tournament started, but we're still a few short so I prefer to save it for Cassavetes, F.W. Murnau, Luis Bunuel or Carl Th. Dreyer. Just a hint
Nice hints, Brook.
I'll nominate F.W. Murnau.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I love Jim Morrison's music and The Doors, but I just can't see exactly what Morrison did for movies.
Well, fuckin ELVIS is in this tournament, and if The King ever acted in a GOOD movie, then it's probably locked away in a vault somewhere...:D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, fuckin ELVIS is in this tournament, and if The King ever acted in a GOOD movie, then it's probably locked away in a vault somewhere...
:confused:
Good point, why the hell do I have Elvis in this tourney?
:crazy:
I was thinking of the boatload of movies (crappy or not) he made. On second thought, I think I'll remove him.
Lists updated.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm no Elvis fan, but I'm sorry to see him go. He was a decent actor and certainly had screen presence.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, fair is fair, I thought Elvis deserved his spot, but A Corpses Of Rock N Roll Tourney does seem most appealing...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm not sure what you need me to do at this point. How many noms do I get, how many 2nds, who needs a 2nd.
Like Murnau I thought had enough nom/2nd to be on, right? Same with Lloyd?
If so, then I nominate Marlene Dietrich. Not sure which era though, tough call between older (Touch of Evil, Nuremburg) and younger (Destry Rides Again, German silents even).
Not sure on the second yet, I'll wait and see if anyone else gets nommed.
I hated to leave Griffith and Claudette Colbert off the table.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If everbody else wants an expansion to 128, I could extend a two more noms and two more seconds each to everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks