What's new

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Ron mentioned I probably won't like STEP UP and I'll respectfully disagree, as I have the trailer in 3-D. STEP UP (like It Came From Outer Space, Creature, Kiss Me Kate and others) appears to have craftfully blended off screen effects into the story line, unlike the blatant "lets stick my hand out at the camera" crap we've seen before. This is something many reviewers also noted during its theatrical 3D run.

Dude,

prepare for a shock when you finally watch Step Up 3-D. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the plot, characters, etc. are laughable. If you are indeed such a strong advocate for good plot, dialogue & acting, then you're going to see (like many others) that the only things worthwhile in this film are the dance sequences & the 3-D (gimmicks and all). This is a case where 3-D was necessary. You'll see. As for re-visiting old films, who has not watched a movie again after years passing & found that the story didn't hold up? This happens with all types of films & is normal. I think Comin at Ya! gave exactly what that title suggested. I'll say again, anyone who was looking for anything else otherwise shouldn't complain about the film; they should just complain about their choice to see the film in the first place.

GregK

Screenwriter
I've watched almost every 3-D film from the 50s, 70s and 80s many times, and some from all of these time periods mentioned not so long ago. My previous statement stands.

I'm fully aware STEP UP (in 2D or 3D) would make many sick for a variety of reasons. As mentioned previously- I have two daughters. They like these kind of features. So, hence, I can stomach these better than most critics. And as I mentioned before, reviewers (who didn't trash it) during it's theatrical release said the 3-D was used effectively, and was well woven into the story. I've seen the trailer in 3-D, and it looked well done.

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by GregK

I've watched almost every 3-D film from the 50s, 70s and 80s many times, and some from all of these time periods mentioned not so long ago. My previous statement stands.

I'm fully aware STEP UP (in 2D or 3D) would make many sick for a variety of reasons. As mentioned previously- I have two daughters. They like these kind of features. So, hence, I can stomach these better than most critics. And as I mentioned before, reviewers (who didn't trash it) during it's theatrical release said the 3-D was used effectively, and was well woven into the story. I've seen the trailer in 3-D, and it looked well done.
You saw the trailer.....ok? I saw the movie. From the standpoint of someone who saw the entire movie (not just the trailer) please be aware that the 3-D in large part is of the "gimmiky" kind. Any critic that did not trash this film probably let it slide due to its dance sequences and 3-D; which are the only reasons for seeing this movie. I'm going to bet your kids will love these mentioned aspects as well. I'll bet they'll especially have a blast with all the gimmicky 3-D shots; just like I did when I viewed 3-D as a kid. As for you, as mentioned already, brace yourself. And then again, you may like the gimmicky shots as well. Post a comment when you finally see it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
tbaio said:
Out of curiosity, which films were they? I've got a feeling the ones you saw were surely post-converted; which won't have any of the "wow" shots (the ones which come out at the audience) in them.
I'm not Edwin but I've seen nine 3-D movies (My Bloody Valentine, Avatar [theatrical cut and special edition], Alice In Wonderland, Clash Of The Titans, Toy Story 3, Piranha, My Soul To Take, Jackass 3D and Saw 3D) and the only ones that went for the really gimmicky 3-D were My Bloody Valentine, Piranha and Jackass. I don't mean gimmicky in a bad way either because those movies were primarily supposed to be fun and silly and the gimmick added to that.

Overall, I think the best use of 3-D that I've seen is Avatar where it added to the movie but not enough where it overshadowed things.

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by GregK

And as I mentioned before, reviewers (who didn't trash it) during it's theatrical release said the 3-D was used effectively, and was well woven into the story. I've seen the trailer in 3-D, and it looked well done.
Not to beat this over the head again & again, but how do you interpret what these critics meant by "the 3-D was used effectively"? Do you know for sure that they weren't talking about the "wow" (gimmicky) effects? Also, you say you liked what you saw in the trailer. You don't think those numerous shots are of the gimmicky kind? If not, then it looks like you & me are in the same boat after all.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As someone who saw virtually every 3D film released in the '50s, I'm recalling only a single
good use of the technology in the entire group of films. Dial "M" For Murder.

RAH

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
tbaio said:
Overall, I think the best use of 3-D that I've seen is Avatar where it added to the movie but not enough where it overshadowed things.
Many of the films you listed were post-converted. I personally think Avatar looked great in either 2-D or 3-D. I've mentioned it already that I don't think I'll be picking up the 3-D version of it because the blu ray which is out already looks incredible. I don't remember any gimmicky shots in that film; I don't think any were meant to be in the film in the first place. If it were shot only in 2-D, I still think the visuals would have been great. Thanks for adding to this post.

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
As someone who saw virtually every 3D film released in the '50s, I'm recalling only a single

RAH
I thought House of Wax utilized the technology greatly. I've still yet to see Dail M for Murder in 3-D. I hope the push for 3-D succeeds so that I'm able to do so one day.

GregK

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

RAH

I disagree completely.

Here's a quick list of some1950's title that have effective use of 3-D ...and far better than Dial M:

* KISS ME KATE
* INFERNO
* HOUSE OF WAX
* HONDO
* MISS SADIE THOMPSON
* CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
* IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (this one can have a couple of slight misalignments on vintage prints that is now easily correctable)

H

Hank

I received my copy of Avatar yesterday from Panasonic. This is such an incredible 3D transfer. I can never watch the 2D version again, which is in itself a great 2D Blu-ray transfer. The 3D BD really brings home the theatrical 3D experience, minus of course the huge screen. It's to bad that Panasonic has the exclusive rights for so long. I do want to check out some of Step Up 3D.

GregK

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by tbaio
Not to beat this over the head again & again, but how do you interpret what these critics meant by "the 3-D was used effectively"? Do you know for sure that they weren't talking about the "wow" (gimmicky) effects? Also, you say you liked what you saw in the trailer. You don't think those numerous shots are of the gimmicky kind? If not, then it looks like you & me are in the same boat after all.
If the off screen effect was blended effectively with the dance number, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in 2-D, then - no I'd probably not call it a gimmick. But as you pointed out, I haven't seen STEP UP 3D yet. I want to check it out eventually and have already answered previously in a few different posts on exactly why I wish to view it.

I will agree with you that HOUSE OF WAX utilized the 3-D quite effectively. It's easily one of my top ten all time favorite 3-D features.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
GregK said:
I disagree completely.

Here's a quick list of some1950's title that have effective use of 3-D ...and far better than Dial M:

* KISS ME KATE
* INFERNO
* HOUSE OF WAX
* HONDO
* MISS SADIE THOMPSON
* CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
* IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (this one can have a couple of slight misalignments on vintage prints that is now easily correctable)
Hondo was interesting. Saw it recently via the work that Gretchen Wayne did toward restoring the film. Very nicely done.

Kiss Me Kate was in one's face 3D, which was not a part of the film. The 3D effects were physically cut into 3d prints,
and not in 2D versions. The major effect in House of Wax was the paddle balls or whatever, neatly replicated in
Monsters vs. Aliens.

GregK

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Excellent post Greg. Your point about a film playing just as well in 2D as 3D is one I intended to make in my other post, but I forgot!

Its interesting to note that James Cameron never had the chance to view Avatar in 3D before the release. Now I'm not a fan of the film, but I recognize it as quality filmmaking, and its clear that the story was first and for most the point of the film. It just happens to be in 3D.

Doug
On a related note, I find it ironic one of the things that made "House of Wax" such a great feature was its director Andre DeToth had only one eye, so he had to first and foremost make a good feature. According to a Cinefantastique article, director DeToth would go to the rushes and say, ‘Why is everybody so excited about this?’

GregK

Screenwriter
GregK said:
Hondo was interesting. Saw it recently via the work that Gretchen Wayne did toward restoring the film. Very nicely done.

Kiss Me Kate was in one's face 3D, which was not a part of the film. The 3D effects were physically cut into 3d prints,
and not in 2D versions. The major effect in House of Wax was the paddle balls or whatever, neatly replicated in
Monsters vs. Aliens.

Only a very brief section of Kiss Me Kate had the "3D exclusive" trims. That brief section aside, there were still a number of "3D effects" throughout the movie, not including, of course - the depth, which was throughout.

Speaking of depth- "Inferno" is a feature where 3-D's depth enhances the feature far better than when viewed in 2-D. The lead is stranded in the dessert- When viewed in 3-D the isolation becomes much more realistic to the viewer.

Hopefully WB (and Fox for the latter) will eventually do a 3D Blu release of this title.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One Warner 3D title from the 1950s that I never saw in 3D was Phantom of the Rue Morgue. I used to see the 2D version turn up on TV all the time, but I don't think I've seen that movie in thirty years. Does anyone remember if 3D was used effectively in it or not?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
GregK said:
Only a very brief section of Kiss Me Kate had the "3D exclusive" trims. That brief section aside, there were still a number of "3D effects" throughout the movie, not including, of course - the depth, which was throughout.
Correct. There are all sorts of in-your-face photography that's obvious in the 2D DVD: Ann Miller throwing various things at the camera in "Too Darn Hot," Tommy Rall's legs swinging into the lens in "Why Can't You Behave," Kathryn Grayson flinging the tankard at the camera at the end of "I Hate Men," Keel throwing all sorts of things at us during several of his numbers, and Keel and Grayson extended out toward the audience at the end of the movie.

I've never seen the film in 3D, but those appear to all be shots designed to extend outward toward the audience in 3D. If this 3D boom is short-lived, I hope I get a chance to see Kiss Me Kate somewhere in 3D if at all possible.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
There are silly elements to Kiss Me Kate, such as why would a stage, with a solid back wall, suddenly extend away into infinity during a performance of the "show". Also, Howard Keel suddenly gets a song on a platform that extends into the middle of the audience, a walkway that hasn't been seen before, nor afterwards.

The effect for me when I've watched it, though, is of several star performances with depth and texture. One of these stars has to be the 3d itself which is used with constant wit and invention. The blocking and placement of the actors for certain scenes utilises depth creatively, as does the choreography, as do the construction and shooting of the backstage sets.. Even the Brush Up Your Shakespeare gangster two-hander, simply done in the theatre's alley, is compelling to watch. Indeed the whole movie seems to take a delight in being a 3d production, as though a lot of new thinking had gone into its filming and that they expected Kate to be the first of a series of MGM 3D musicals.

It really deserves the 3d Bluray treatment. I first saw the movie several years ago, when it played in 3D during a Fosse season at a London BFI cinema. Very magical experience.

As far as Hondo is concerned, I don't think the restoration has been shown in the UK to date. I'm sure a premiere, or short run, at the BFI would be most appreciated if it this is indeed the case. It is also a fine candidate to be the first of the Golden Age features to be released on bluray.

[btw, Disney has beaten everyone here by making their 1950's Donald Duck short "Working for Peanuts" available on a promotional 3d Bluray disc! ]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Many of the films you listed were post-converted.
Yeah, Clash Of The Titans is fairly notorious for being converted. I thought the movie was lousy on its own but the poor 3-D made it even worse. My Soul To Take was converted and there's so few 3-D shots in that movie that it was a very odd choice to convert. I think now that Hollywood has had time to catch up with the success of Avatar, most 3-D movies will be true 3-D and there will be much fewer conversions.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by Phoebus
There are silly elements to Kiss Me Kate, such as why would a stage, with a solid back wall, suddenly extend away into infinity during a performance of the "show". Also, Howard Keel suddenly gets a song on a platform that extends into the middle of the audience, a walkway that hasn't been seen before, nor afterwards.

The effect for me when I've watched it, though, is of several star performances with depth and texture. One of these stars has to be the 3d itself which is used with constant wit and invention. The blocking and placement of the actors for certain scenes utilises depth creatively, as does the choreography, as do the construction and shooting of the backstage sets.. Even the Brush Up Your Shakespeare gangster two-hander, simply done in the theatre's alley, is compelling to watch. Indeed the whole movie seems to take a delight in being a 3d production, as though a lot of new thinking had gone into its filming and that they expected Kate to be the first of a series of MGM 3D musicals.

It really deserves the 3d Bluray treatment. I first saw the movie several years ago, when it played in 3D during a Fosse season at a London BFI cinema. Very magical experience.

As far as Hondo is concerned, I don't think the restoration has been shown in the UK to date. I'm sure a premiere, or short run, at the BFI would be most appreciated if it this is indeed the case. It is also a fine candidate to be the first of the Golden Age features to be released on bluray.

[btw, Disney has beaten everyone here by making their 1950's Donald Duck short "Working for Peanuts" available on a promotional 3d Bluray disc! ]
I too would love to see the 3D films from the 1950's released on Blu-ray in 3D.

I saw Working for Peanuts in 3D at a movie theatre a few years ago. It was included with one of the 3D films released at the time. I don't remember any out-of-the-screen scenes in that cartoon.

I also saw Dial M For Murder in dual projection 3D at the Film Forum in New York City years ago. Excellent 3D with no ghosting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw Tron: Legacy this afternoon and while the movie wasn't really my thing, the use of 3-D was excellent. Granted, the virtual reality world really lends itself to 3-D but the 3-D helped pull you into the Tron world rather than being gimmick-y. The eventual 3-D Blu-ray will be the demo disc that electronics stores have playing on their 3-D TVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks