What's new

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, we just finished the new Wonder Woman, which arrived today. This is a really good example to illustrate why 3D for home consumption was phased out. Except for one or two brief sequences, there is no 3D at all. I think my TVs fake 3D would be just as good. Not worth wearing uncomfortable glasses for 2 hours!
👎
Have to agree (mostly). Was very disappointed. I checked several scenes by removing my glasses and there was no depth at all. Could have watched those without glasses. This was on my LG OLED 65-inch panel. Seemed like a half hearted effort to convert it to 3D.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Wow, we just finished the new Wonder Woman, which arrived today. This is a really good example to illustrate why 3D for home consumption was phased out. Except for one or two brief sequences, there is no 3D at all. I think my TVs fake 3D would be just as good. Not worth wearing uncomfortable glasses for 2 hours!
👎

Yikes. I very strongly disagree with that. I thought the 3D (142" DLP projection) was great. Very close to Aquaman in terms of 3D I think.
May not be the best ever, but waaay better than watching it flat.

Have to agree (mostly). Was very disappointed. I checked several scenes by removing my glasses and there was no depth at all. Could have watched those without glasses. This was on my LG OLED 65-inch panel. Seemed like a half hearted effort to convert it to 3D.
My 3D experience for WW84 3D, using an Oppo 203 & 65"LGE6. was having good decent 3D depth.

So sad and discouraging how 3D today causes these extreme variable observations.:( A good reason why 3D is now abandoned in most consumer products.

I'm looking forward to the day where 3D will be reinstated as a consumer option again, having the necessary regulated technical standards needed for component-complexity of digital systems, ensuring consistent and pleasurable 3D experiences.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My 3D experience for WW84 3D, using an Oppo 203 & 65"LGE6. was having good decent 3D depth.

So sad and discouraging how 3D today causes these extreme variable observations.:( A good reason why 3D is now abandoned in most consumer products.
It is too bad that people see things so differently when it comes to 3D. All I can say is that I was very well pleased with what I saw. But then again I am a firm believer that different displays can alter the experience. I think 3D on 65 inch sets (no matter how good active/passive glasses) is just fine, however the immersion of the same film projected on a 142" screen is literally night, and day for me. I could never go back, and if I did, I think I would give up on my 3D viewing. And I love 3D.

I also wonder if dislike of the feature makes for a lackluster 3D experience overall. I'll never forget watching 'Tarzan' and thinking it had bad 3D, however on closer inspection the 3D was fine, I just disliked the movie so the 3D seemed poor initially.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think there’s a certain amount of variation in how our brains perceive the effect, how long the effect persists, and which parts of the effect register to us as valuable.

I have more than one friend that would like to enjoy 3D, but they say that no matter how good it looks, by about ten minutes in, everything just seems to flatten to 2D. As if their brains get used to the effect and no longer see it. Though it doesn’t happen to me like clockwork, I think I’ve experienced what they’re talking about.

For some viewers, the depth part of 3D doesn’t seem to register with them, just the pop-outs. I don’t know if they simply don’t see the depth, if their brain is trying to correct for it, or if it’s just not noteworthy.

I’ve lately had some trouble with pop outs where I know the effect is meant to look like it’s coming out of the screen, but for whatever reason, once it gets to that window, rather than breaking out it just kinda flattens in my vision. It’s weird, hard to describe.

I’m not sure we’ll ever have an objective way for most people to discuss this in the same way I can’t explain color to someone who has never seen, or explain what an orange tastes like to someone who has no frame of reference for it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think there’s a certain amount of variation in how our brains perceive the effect, how long the effect persists, and which parts of the effect register to us as valuable.

I have more than one friend that would like to enjoy 3D, but they say that no matter how good it looks, by about ten minutes in, everything just seems to flatten to 2D. As if their brains get used to the effect and no longer see it. Though it doesn’t happen to me like clockwork, I think I’ve experienced what they’re talking about.

For some viewers, the depth part of 3D doesn’t seem to register with them, just the pop-outs. I don’t know if they simply don’t see the depth, if their brain is trying to correct for it, or if it’s just not noteworthy.

I’ve lately had some trouble with pop outs where I know the effect is meant to look like it’s coming out of the screen, but for whatever reason, once it gets to that window, rather than breaking out it just kinda flattens in my vision. It’s weird, hard to describe.

I’m not sure we’ll ever have an objective way for most people to discuss this in the same way I can’t explain color to someone who has never seen, or explain what an orange tastes like to someone who has no frame of reference for it.

I think it's undeniable that even the same content in the same setting registers differently for different people - and the same people at different ages.

I think my perception of 3D has changed as I've aged!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched WW84 in 3D last night. I wouldn't call it great 3D, but it had some nice depth in many scenes. I was disappointed with the scene of them flying through the fireworks, though. It seems like that would be a scene where the 3D would shine, and it did not, IMO.

Ordered Dynasty 3D yesterday.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Watched WW84 in 3D last night. I wouldn't call it great 3D, but it had some nice depth in many scenes. I was disappointed with the scene of them flying through the fireworks, though. It seems like that would be a scene where the 3D would shine, and it did not, IMO.

Ordered Dynasty 3D yesterday.
If you don’t perceive the pop outs in Dynasty you’re probably dead. :) Surely one of the most 3D movies ever, lots of fun, great restoration given the limitations of the source material.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Finished WW84 last night. Had to break it into three viewings because of lack of time. When the 3D is good, it's very good, but it also has several dark spots that don't lend themselves to good 3D. The On the flip side, even though Warner continues its practice of not including Atmos tracks on 3D titles [after including them on titles like Mad Max: Fury Road and Jupiter Ascending], the DTS HD:MA track upconverts nicely in DTS Neural:X, giving height and expanse to the track comparable to a full blown Atmos track.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you don’t perceive the pop outs in Dynasty you’re probably dead. :) Surely one of the most 3D movies ever, lots of fun, great restoration given the limitations of the source material.
Pop-outs don't necessarily make the movie. A*P*E had plenty of pop-outs, but was a horrendous movie. Hopefully Dynasty will be better than A*P*E.

Watched Dreamworks' Rise of the Guardians 3D tonight. Dreamworks never disappoints with 3D. Beautiful looking film from start to finish, with a fun mix of pop-out and gorgeous depth. I thought I recognized the voice of Jack Frost, but couldn't put my finger on it until the credits. It was Chris Pine, who I just watched last night in WW84. :lol:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Pop-outs don't necessarily make the movie. A*P*E had plenty of pop-outs, but was a horrendous movie. Hopefully Dynasty will be better than A*P*E.

Oh, Dynasty is definitely better than A*P*E; non-stop action and loads of fun. Both movies have outrageous pop-out FX and jaw-dropping moments -- in the good sense with Dynasty and both the good and bad sense for A*P*E.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Oh, Dynasty is definitely better than A*P*E; non-stop action and loads of fun. Both movies have outrageous pop-out FX and jaw-dropping moments -- in the good sense with Dynasty and both the good and bad sense for A*P*E.
Colo-rectal surgery is probably more enjoyable than A*P*E*.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Colo-rectal surgery is probably more enjoyable than A*P*E*.
Yep, A*P*E and Stewardesses were purchases to help the good folks at 3D Film Archive keep the Golden- and Silver-Age 3D spigot open (though I couldn't bring myself to spring for 3D Nudie Cuties). All in hopes of eventual better days/ better titles, and thankfully there've been positive developments. (See the story of the boy who says "There must be a pony in here somewhere." :) )

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree that "Rise of the Guardians" offers terrific 3D, but can't agree "DW never disappoints".

The conversions for the 1st 3 "Shrek" movies were meh at best.

IIRC, the 4th one looks good, but the 1st 3 are "2.5D", IMO...
Haven't watched those yet. The Shrek films are among my least favorite DW animated films. The only reason I own those on 3D is they were $5 each at Big Lots. So perhaps the older converted films are lacking.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I agree that "Rise of the Guardians" offers terrific 3D, but can't agree "DW never disappoints".

The conversions for the 1st 3 "Shrek" movies were meh at best.

IIRC, the 4th one looks good, but the 1st 3 are "2.5D", IMO...
Dreamworks Shrek 1, 2 & the "Third" were very-very early conversions.
Only a six months project using Legend 3D. Native re-rendering couldn't be done because the original data sources were either lost, incompatible with existing systems needed for creating the alternate point-of-view, and the original 3D models were not saved.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Dreamworks Shrek 1, 2 & the "Third" were very-very early conversions.
Only a six months project using Legend 3D. Native re-rendering couldn't be done because the original data sources were either lost, incompatible with existing systems needed for creating the alternate point-of-view, and the original 3D models were not saved.

Okay. I was just saying they were bland, a contrast to the notion that all DW 3D is good! 🤷‍♂️

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Watched Dreamworks' Rise of the Guardians 3D tonight. Dreamworks never disappoints with 3D. Beautiful looking film from start to finish, with a fun mix of pop-out and gorgeous depth. I thought I recognized the voice of Jack Frost, but couldn't put my finger on it until the credits. It was Chris Pine, who I just watched last night in WW84. :lol:
Love Rise of the Guardians. Hugh Jackman is the best Easter Bunny ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks