What's new

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
If that is fixed, I'll probably get it.
Given that the credits don’t pop out at all in the anaglyphic versions this seems pretty trifling to me. I saw the film originally, don’t recollect how it looked then but the title card “comin’ at ya” is more than effective on its own. If it needs fixing, fine, but it’s satisfying as is and the disc is a lot of fun, if not as fun as viewing it with a packed audience of screaming, laughing teens.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Given that the credits don’t pop out at all in the anaglyphic versions this seems pretty trifling to me. I saw the film originally, don’t recollect how it looked then but the title card “comin’ at ya” is more than effective on its own. If it needs fixing, fine, but it’s satisfying as is and the disc is a lot of fun, if not as fun as viewing it with a packed audience of screaming, laughing teens.

I tried looking over at that Blu-ray dot com thread, and it is a fairly typical dumpster fire for that forum so I lost patience trying to dig out relevant posts. The best that I could tell before giving up is that some members seem to be complaining that Paramount or Shout re-converged the opening titles to push them farther back? The titles looked fine to me, but I have not seen the film theatrically so I do not have a reference. They look infinitely better than the anaglyph version, which as you say barely even looked like they were in 3D at all. Paramount/Shout certainly did not appear to re-converge anything in the rest of the film, so I am not sure why they would have changed the titles only. This is definitely not the original Creature from the Black Lagoon disc where much of the entire film was re-converged. Meanwhile, I did not see anyone mentioning the shot that I was talking about with the push-in on Edna & Harold's cabin where the 3D is a little iffy, possibly due to registration errors, or possibly due to issues with the original photography itself as that shot looks a bit odd even in 2D. But that is a minor thing and possibly could not be improved anyway.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not having seen this in the theater (or ever FWIW) I can't say, but several Ft13th and 3D fans say the credits were memorable in their pop-out nature originally. No reason to doubt their memory on this item since it seems to be one of those In Your Face moments

This was on of if not the 1st major film in the 80's 3D revival and apparently the polarized version was decidedly done to make massive use of the over the top in your face style. Certainly the multiple rescreenings over the years in the theaters are much fresher on people's minds so it's not like all the people are doing this from 40 yo memory.

Hopefully DFurr will pop around soon enough with an opinion or someone could send him a message and ask him to compare the BD to his print (assuming he still has it)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Shout Factory has released alot of box sets over the years and as far as I know, only one movie (Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers producer's cut) has ever been released separate from a box set and that one came out on the same day as the box set was released. Never say never but I don't see them ever releasing the 3-D disc or any of the others on their own.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Amityville set never got broken down into an individual release for Amityville 3D. I don’t think there’s any precedence for them breaking out a 3D title out of a larger set later on. There’s also a not insignificant chance that the licensing deal may not allow for the selling of titles individually.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Does anyone know if the 3 movie Jaws Collection (Jaws II, Jaws III and Jaws IV) that was recently released on 9/29/20 contained the 3D version of Jaws III? I have read conflicting reports on the internet and would like to hear from someone who actually purchased it, thanks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does anyone know if the 3 movie Jaws Collection (Jaws II, Jaws III and Jaws IV) that was recently released on 9/29/20 contained the 3D version of Jaws III? I have read conflicting reports on the internet and would like to hear from someone who actually purchased it, thanks.
I have not purchased it but I would think it does as I doubt they created a new disc without the 3D version.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If the rest of the movie is 3D, I don't care if the credits -- which I usually fast forward through anyway are as flat as Bristol board.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Martin, that's why I said if you have to put down almost $200 for two 3Ders..it's not in my cards either!

But then someone is selling FT13 3 3D for $50 over on eBay. maybe that's the way to go?

EDIT: Someone already bought it...good for them!

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Martin, that's why I said if you have to put down almost $200 for two 3Ders..it's not in my cards either!

But then someone is selling FT13 3 3D for $50 over on eBay. maybe that's the way to go?

EDIT: Someone already bought it...good for them!
Thanks John, it shouldn’t be this hard to get a 3D blu ray.. no wonder the format is dying.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This has nothing to do with the format (which is indeed a very niche one) and everything to do with Paramount. When the 3D resurgence began, most studios went to work seeing what they had in their libraries that could be mastered for 3D discs and theatrical DCPs. Paramount declined to do so, while at the same time declining licensing deals that would allow others to do so. Paramount has chosen to license the Friday The 13th franchise to Shout, quite possibly on a condition that only a complete set can be sold. There may even be a limit to how many sets they’re allowed to make. Shout spent quite a deal of money to work on the masters and to create the wealth of bonus material included in the set. For what it is, the set is relatively inexpensive when you break it down by film. They need to protect that investment or their bottom line would be in jeopardy. Making the items that are the biggest selling points exclusive to the set is just about the only tool at their disposal to help them sell as many of these as possible.

As physical media continues to become more and more of a niche, consumers will be asked to shoulder more of the costs compared to the days when discs were a mass market commodity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks