What's new

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On recommendations is this thread, I bought Desolation of Smaug Extended 3D and we just finished it. The 3D is WOW! Depth galore and a goodly amount of in-your-face too. But not gimmicky. If more 3D movies had this quality of 3D, 3D would have been a success.

Did some looking around for Battleof the Five Armies. I got Smaug from A.UK for about $15 shipped. Not so Battle. From UK it will be over $30. It’s available from A.US but after taxes it’s about $27 or $28. Jeez, why the difference?

To be truthful, that’s a lot to pay for something I won’t watch often. The $15 for Smaug, ok, but not $28 for Battle is hard to swallow.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I only see a few passing references to it by searching this thread, but in all seriousness A*P*E has some of the best depth that I have seen on any 3D Blu-ray. The opening title sequence simply doesn't work and can give you a headache, but once you get past that point it is surprising just how deep the images appear. What is really surprising is that the miniatures offer some of the best depth in the film -- watch specifically for the early moment when the soldier returns to his base and finds it destroyed. Imagine building a diorama and putting your eyes right to the edge of it -- that is how it looks in the movie, and it is actually pretty cool.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
borrowed Silent Hill 3D, watched, bought my own! much better than I was hearing. I have not played the games too much and I think that was the problem some had. I thought the first film was so-so and almost not worth watching again. I like the style of these films and felt this one gets it better with some killer 3D. Sort of Elm Street gritty, a bit of Jacob's Ladder, lots of other computer games like Outlast, etc,... stylish, creepy mutant things like JL and Dead Space (which should be made into a decent movie!!)... will watch again when my own comes in the mail. hamiltonbook has for $10. Also got 2D The Fog/Howling disc from hamiltonbook for $8. And The Hole 3D from amazon de. that one is region B but loved the 2D so much I'll put it away for when I get a region free player. Joe Dante 80s feel + 3D, the world needs more of that!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Forgot that I also watched Bait borrowed from same person as Silent Hills. bought my own Bait too!! haha1 and will watch it again too. Very nice 3D fun story. Ozzies in peril is a beautiful thing!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Finally got to Godzilla King of the Monsters. and just like Silent HIlls I have to ignore opinions and reviews. it was spectacular!!!!!! the monster battles just blew my mind just like Pacific Rims. this is why I paid so much for video and sound equipment. I don't understand why monster fans didn't eat this up. we do want more like this right? the effects and scoring/sound should have won or nom'd for oscars.

Godzilla vs Kong 3d blu ray? take my money now!!!!!!!!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Finally got to Godzilla King of the Monsters. and just like Silent HIlls I have to ignore opinions and reviews. it was spectacular!!!!!! the monster battles just blew my mind just like Pacific Rims. this is why I paid so much for video and sound equipment. I don't understand why monster fans didn't eat this up. we do want more like this right? the effects and scoring/sound should have won or nom'd for oscars.

Godzilla vs Kong 3d blu ray? take my money now!!!!!!!!
Yes, I liked PR and GKotM too. Good 3D and a lot of fun.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
"Pacific Rim" - the del Toro one, not the sequel - is a rare example of a movie that genuinely becomes better in 3D.

The 3D actually made the story stronger. I still don't love the movie 3D, but it's significantly improved...

I love the movie in any form, but it presents an interesting dilemma on disc. The 3D Blu-ray is one of the best examples of the format despite it being a post-conversion job, with a great sense of space and depth. However, the UHD is also one of the best examples of that format, especially in regards to HDR. That HDR pass is truly spectacular, with a dazzling array of colours and incredible contrast. I think that I lean slightly toward the UHD (which also has a tremendous Atmos mix as a bonus,) but depending on my mood I could easily go back to the 3D disc instead.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love the movie in any form, but it presents an interesting dilemma on disc. The 3D Blu-ray is one of the best examples of the format despite it being a post-conversion job, with a great sense of space and depth. However, the UHD is also one of the best examples of that format, especially in regards to HDR. That HDR pass is truly spectacular, with a dazzling array of colours and incredible contrast. I think that I lean slightly toward the UHD (which also has a tremendous Atmos mix as a bonus,) but depending on my mood I could easily go back to the 3D disc instead.
I’ve got another similar example: The Martian. I’ve always watched it in 3D and loved it that way. Ridley has directed two of my favorite 3D movies: Prometheus and The Martian. However, I purchased the 4K of the Martian when it came out because it had atmos and some added scenes. I found the in 4K those Martian vistas are fabulous and I enjoy the added scenes. I find I don’t feel cheated not watching the 3D. Of course, those asshole studio executives ought to put atmos on 3D discs.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I’ve got another similar example: The Martian. I’ve always watched it in 3D and loved it that way. Ridley has directed two of my favorite 3D movies: Prometheus and The Martian. However, I purchased the 4K of the Martian when it came out because it had atmos and some added scenes. I found the in 4K those Martian vistas are fabulous and I enjoy the added scenes. I find I don’t feel cheated not watching the 3D. Of course, those asshole studio executives ought to put atmos on 3D discs.

To be fair, in the case of Pacific Rim, that was not even an option, and home Atmos was still relatively new when The Martian was still released. But that is indeed a huge problem in general, and not just with 3D discs -- studios continue to shaft the Blu-ray versions of movies with lesser mixes while only having the Atmos option on UHD. I started stocking up on the UHD versions of movies long before I got my 4K projector just to have access to the Atmos versions.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Finally, everything about it was damn good...EXCEPT the audio. Had to crank it up the highest I've ever had to for a movie. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Blu-ray] [2019] [Region Free]

Of course The wife and I made it a double feature and watched it's companion piece, sort of...

and we laughed and laughed.

Spaceballs

Last edited:

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I was hoping for more chainsaw out of the screen but it is damn fun. The opening reminds me of what they did with Ready Player One in that one scene. Among my favorite 3D moments. /avoiding the spoilings

watching Harry Potter Deadly Hollows P1. great movie. would be maybe the worst 3D if Clash of theTitans 3D wasn't a thing. :(

Speaking of "spoilings". I just bought that disc. Rats!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Paul: You do realize that theoretically, you can catch Covid from a fart. That "social distancing" better be a long, long way away.
“Theoretically” you can catch Covid countless ways. And the chances are infinitesimal. What a bizarre statement. :wacko:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
“Theoretically” you can catch Covid countless ways. And the chances are infinitesimal. What a bizarre statement. :wacko:
The statement stresses the significance of Covid transmission that needs to be taken seriously. Agreed it would be a "bizarre" way to get the virus, since it would have to go through clothing that would act the same as a mask.:eek:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The statement stresses the significance of Covid transmission that needs to be taken seriously. Agreed it would be a "bizarre" way to get the virus, since it would have to go through clothing that would act the same as a mask.:eek:
Oh I agree completely. I meant “bizarre” only in terms of mentioning it in response to your post in this thread.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
"Pacific Rim" - the del Toro one, not the sequel - is a rare example of a movie that genuinely becomes better in 3D.

The 3D actually made the story stronger. I still don't love the movie 3D, but it's significantly improved...
Man I just love both PRs! PR 1 and Kong Skull I'd say best effects and use of 3D. And PR and God King have best Monster Battles/monster human battles. I was blown away from God king's battles. All the beasts were incredible. Monster Zero, Rodan were both jaw dropping for me. They've never looked so good. and the close up shots of Godzilla in King and Kong in Skull are breathtaking. 3D and friggin big monsters are just made for each other.

oh man yeah! I know I'm not the only one who sits there as the credits finish up and at the end it says ATMOS and DTX:S and throw my hands up in disgust .

I'm always surprised about what is post. sometimes that worked really well. Some that are filmed in 3D like A Dolphins Tale are complete opposite, a bit disappointing.

I don't see how I could choose 4k over 3D.

Speaking of "spoilings". I just bought that disc. Rats!
Clash 3D? it should be siad that Wraith in 3D is actually okay. at that Clash and Harry Potter are both good to great films.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Got Upside Down from ebay seller. Beautiful looking with so so romance. That was Across the Universe for me. BUt this has 3D! Never seen it but actually looking forward. Love the idea. I'm big on crazy fantasy and don't need logic or grounding. My favorite example, Gilliam's Adv of Baron Munchhausen. Where they sail a ship across the sea and to the moon. Like 3D, this is something hard to selll to the masses these days. I miss that. Jules Verne, HG Wells, etc.

Back up copy of World War Z from Big Lots for $2.50!!!! now I have the UK one and the US one. have not watched it either but it's in line by Halloween.!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks