What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Priced at $9.36 on Amazon right now. The 2D blu is a little more. Hmmm. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Not a fan of Keanu but don’t hate him either.
Your choice, but I also bought it blind and was disappointed by both the film and the 3D.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Priced at $9.36 on Amazon right now. The 2D blu is a little more. Hmmm. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Not a fan of Keanu but don’t hate him either.
If that's the 3 movie set with 47 Ronin 3D, that is a good price to take a chance on the set. About $3.12 per movie. Low risk blind buy as I see it. That was my thinking, and as I said, my expectations were low, but itexceeded my expectations. (not so much for Immortals 3d but still a good deal for Ronin).
Your choice, but I also bought it blind and was disappointed by both the film and the 3D.
There was very little samurai battling in the film, unlike what dominates in the previews - misleading promotion, but in my case I was pleased to see echoes of traditional japanese ghost story genre as the emphasis instead. As for the 3d, I'm not sure why that would disappoint, except maybe taste (I am not a fan of in-your-face popouts unless it is necessary for the story). The 3D added for Ronin mostly gave a natural depth, and did not distract but added information and scene composition that would be missed in 2d. It won't make my best 3d list. But it was ok and at a good price. YMMV. I viewed it on the LG 65ef9500 OLED.

(PS really hardpe pnthis newsofware... translation: really hard to type on this new software)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Region B locked. Exceptional CG. Almost 3D without the 3D. The wife and I enjoyed it. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

StarDog and TurboCat [Blu-ray] [2019]

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Well I never knew that. Apparently Paranorman was shot using 60 Canon EOS 5D mkII SLR cameras, 400,000 stop frames.
my wife saw that this was on tv whilst reading a magazine just now, I mentioned we had it on 3D BD then got curious so googled it. Going to watch it again tonight.
LAIKA has been using DSLRs since the beginning. There was a great doc on Coraline showing their custom camera rig, which shoots one frame, then moves the camera to the right a scaled distance to approximate pupillary interaxial. It's really cool.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
LAIKA has been using DSLRs since the beginning. There was a great doc on Coraline showing their custom camera rig, which shoots one frame, then moves the camera to the right a scaled distance to approximate pupillary interaxial. It's really cool.
It’s all interesting stuff!, we love Coraline but after watching Paranorman tonight I can remember parts of it but sadly I’m not a big fan of either the film or the 3D which seemed pretty flat for the most part. Maybe I wasn’t quite in the mood but that’s how I found it.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
From 2011 and filmed with 3D cameras! I found it excellent and I hope you will too. It has everything going for it. Region free.
You won't be disappointed. There is no English language but it has English dubs which are not intrusive :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Oh, the odd thing is it comes in a DVD case with a slip cover for it.

Blu-Ray-NOVA-ZEMBLA-3D-UK-IMPORT-Blu-Ray-NEW

Last edited:

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
May the force be with you..... In 3D.

View attachment 71879

Watched it this weekend. This really benefits from the 3D. From fight scenes having more depth definition, to space craft buzzing overhead then towards a planet, it all felt more theatrical and the shot compositions more aesthetically balanced - really beautiful to see. Watched on 65EF9200 OLED by LG - the blacks and contrast of OLED 3d really stand out with the space shots and moody interior scenes. Only regrets: no Atmos, but I think for this film the visual 3d is more important than the audio enhancement from Atmos.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A nice update this morning -- AMazonUK appears to be allowing new orders to the US/Can, but only with Priority Shipping option.

For a single that;s around £8.50 to the US (quite a bit more to Canada), but only around 0.50 for each added single item (boxsets a bit more). For 4 titles I found it was around £10 which was only a couple $$ more than I usually pay for AGS

New order to catchup -- MOE, Frozen 2, ROS, and preorder for Onward and a couple non 3D boxsets I've had on hold.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A nice update this morning -- AMazonUK appears to be allowing new orders to the US/Can, but only with Priority Shipping option.

For a single that;s around £8.50 to the US (quite a bit more to Canada), but only around 0.50 for each added single item (boxsets a bit more). For 4 titles I found it was around £10 which was only a couple $$ more than I usually pay for AGS

New order to catchup -- MOE, Frozen 2, ROS, and preorder for Onward and a couple non 3D boxsets I've had on hold.
That won’t do me much could, the savings on 4 titles because I’m usually ordering a single blu ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Stock isn't going anywhere.

I think if we wait a few more weeks we may see normal shipping conditions/pricing resume.

However, that's all dependent upon the current health restrictions.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They seem to have raised prices, too. Some titles that were £12.99 a few weeks back are now £18.99. Unless that was some kind of sale that expired while they weren't shipping anywhere.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They seem to have raised prices, too. Some titles that were £12.99 a few weeks back are now £18.99. Unless that was some kind of sale that expired while they weren't shipping anywhere.

It was probably a sale if you are looking at the somewhat older Disney/Marvel -- one of the 2 3D for £18 (Disney then Marvel) started in the spring just before all the shipping shutdowns and usually those singles at priced around 12 at the same time. The newer release titles wouldn't be part of those until near the end of the year normally anyway and £18 (15 minus VAT) is about as low as they get until they hit the £10-12 sales after 6-12 months.

My order also was helped by being allowed to re-order a LE item that just released, but hadn't shipped yet. The shipping on the previous order was around £5 for the single item, now it's only £1.10 as part of the new order AND moves from AGS to Priority and MAYBE a bit better packaging for the boxsets in the order

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It was probably a sale if you are looking at the somewhat older Disney/Marvel -- one of the 2 for £18 (Disney then Marvel) started in the spring just before all the shipping shutdowns. The newer release titles wouldn't be part of those until near the end of the year normally anyway and £18 (15 minus VAT) is about as low as they get until they hit the £10-12 sales after 6-12 months.
I was looking at Toy Story 4 and The Lion King 3D's. I had planned to order those when they resumed shipping. Will now wait. I noticed a lot of these items on my UK wish list were unavailable yesterday. They must have been adjusting things.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was looking at Toy Story 4 and The Lion King 3D's. I had planned to order those when they resumed shipping. Will now wait. I noticed a lot of these items on my UK wish list were unavailable yesterday. They must have been adjusting things.

Those definitely were part of the 2 for 18 sale. I think there usually is another sometime in the summer and if not another near the end of the year is almost guaranteed. They haven't been on a tight schedule, but usually don't go too long between them

I noticed the Marvel version just started with about 18 choices (2 for £15BD, 2 for 18 BD, 2 for 30 UHD) : 05 May 2020 to 07 Jun. 2020

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks