What's new

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My Indicator Mad Magician Blu-ray arrived yesterday and watched it last night. I have a profound weakness for Vincent Price horror movies and love House of Wax. While this one isn't quite as good as HoW, it's still a lot of fun. Lots of pop-outs, but I was particularly impressed by the overall use of the 3D space and placement of objects in the foreground, mid and background to reinforce the sense of depth. It's a really well composed 3D feature. The Three Stooges shorts I can take or leave and find they run a little long [pacing is a problem], but I'm glad i got my hands on this one. The cover art is far superior to the Twilight Time release, and reversible.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not that familiar with Zavvi. Are they any good? Reliable? Where do they ship from?

2nd biggest exported of Discs from the UK. I guess they're sort of equivalent to Deep Discount though I think their Parent Company is HIVE which has lots of arms other than Movie/Entertainment
including a lot of US retailers under their umbrella and even Cust Service centers in the US. Unfortunately that now requires them to collect US sales tax in most states. Someone once said of
Zavvi -- paraphrasing and removing some language when they are good, they can be very good, but when something goes wrong it can be 'troublesome' to get help from CS.

Their specialty are limited edition Exclusive steelbooks.

Pretty reliable, but not great. Untracked shipping is their usual mode, but even in the best of times their shipping times are extremely variable -- my orders over the years have been anywhere from 3-4 days to nearly a month. There absurd unique trait has usually been shipping 1 item per package even if you order 10-12-20 items in 2 for xx or BOGO sales

Shipping of movies is all from UK -- or at least one of the Channel Islands which gives them sort sort of tax advantage.
They have a US and UK front end which allows some different pricings at times. The US site (change the flag in the upper right to US) allows FS to the US on steelbooks or orders that have at least
one steelbook included. There is often a 10% or $/£ off code but that doesn't work on all items, esp preorders and those items already part of a sale.
The UK site often has a much bigger selection of movies that aren't sold on the US portal.

The UK portal usually simultaneously runs the Disney 2 for £15, 2 3d for 18, 2 4K for 20 deals as AmazonUK, but allows multiple pairs per order to save with shipping
Their Arrow sales can come close or beat ArrowUK direct sales and often overlap the ArrowUK sales. Sometimes Zavvi has some items that Arrow doesn't and shipping small numbers has
often been cheaper. The UK site used to have £0.99 flat rate shipping to the US which was extremely nice, but then it moved to 2.99 and up to 3.99 (plus added US sales tax aroudn the same time). After the virus changed things I think Zavvi shipping is now $/£9.99 per order though I think people thing that is temporary

Last edited:

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Waiting on delivery of SW-ROS from UK Amazon to USA, hope to get it by weekend. Meanwhile, waiting for Star Wars to arrive, I just watched 47 Ronin 3d from a 3 movie set that was on sale recently. I had low expectations but it wasn't the mindless battle movie that previews suggest, and I didn't know it was a Japanese ghost story. Enjoyed it much more than I expected. I liked seeing the Trade Minister from Man in the High Castle (actor) as Shogun, and at least one Westworld host in the ensemble. Good use of 3d especially in creating the atmospherics.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Waiting on delivery of SW-ROS from UK Amazon to USA, hope to get it by weekend. Meanwhile, waiting for Star Wars to arrive, I just watched 47 Ronin 3d from a 3 movie set that was on sale recently. I had low expectations but it wasn't the mindless battle movie that previews suggest, and I didn't know it was a Japanese ghost story. Enjoyed it much more than I expected. I liked seeing the Trade Minister from Man in the High Castle (actor) as Shogun, and at least one Westworld host in the ensemble. Good use of 3d especially in creating the atmospherics.
Priced at $9.36 on Amazon right now. The 2D blu is a little more. Hmmm. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Not a fan of Keanu but don’t hate him either.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Amazon just notified me my SKYWALKER will be here by May 1st.

Good luck with that. I keep going to tracking on an Amazon box full of face masks that was shipped on the 2nd, with an original arrival date of the 18th, being told each day that, "We're sorry we're late," etc.

I get it, though.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A new contender for UK 3D titles. A quite old Irish store (60yrs) now appears to have a possible chance to shine.
General prices appear to process in EURO and they do appear to be shipping internationally.
5eur shipping UK to US, but 50EUR orders ship free

Any opinions/experience with this store obviously would be helpful

https://goldendiscs.ie/

Individual items appear more expensive than Amazon or Zavvi, but the Free Shipping does make an interesting choice.
I can find ROS 3D for 25EU and Mistress of Evil at 28EU. No Frozen II in stock though.
I think I'm just going to wait until things settle down

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks