What's new

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Good time to pick up classic 3D, if you have not already got them, at the Kino sale.

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/whilesupplieslast2020

Listed titles include Jivaro 3D, Sangaree 3D, Cease Fire 3D, and Those Redheads from Seattle 3D ($12.99 each).

Too bad I bought them when they first came out, could have saved a ton of money. Oh well, have got to enjoy them all this time.

I always show guests CEASEFIRE to really show what a real POPOUT looks out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Someone named Ebert liked it.

Logan's Run ⭐⭐⭐
Roger Ebert June 25, 1976
"Logan's Run" is a vast, silly extravaganza that delivers a certain amount of fun, once it stops taking itself seriously. That happens about an hour into the film, but even the first half isn't bad if you're a fan (as I am) of special effects and cities of the future and ray guns and monorails whizzing overhead. The movie was made on a very large budget - the figure $9 million has been whispered about Hollywood - and it looks it. "2001" it's not, but it has class. The plot is fairly routine stuff, by science-fiction standards; It seems to be a cross between Arthur C. Clarke's "The City and the Stars" and elements of "Planet of the Apes" (1968). It's about another one of those monolithic, self-perpetuating domed cities we're all scheduled to start living in 300 or 400 years hence.

. ....But "Logan's Run" has wit enough to work on such a level; even while we're chuckling at such an audacious use of cliche, we're having fun.

I can only assume that he'd never read the book or the word travesty would have appeared somewhere in his review.
There was better model work in Thunderbirds and Peter Ustinov's cameo is cringemaking.
If it weren't for Jenny Agutter's kitoffery, it would be an even bigger waste of time.
Michael Anderson has directed some real clunkers but I admit to liking his Doc Savage movie. Shame he didn't do the other 180 books.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I can only assume that he'd never read the book or the word travesty would have appeared somewhere in his review.
There was better model work in Thunderbirds and Peter Ustinov's cameo is cringemaking.
If it weren't for Jenny Agutter's kitoffery, it would be an even bigger waste of time.
Michael Anderson has directed some real clunkers but I admit to liking his Doc Savage movie. Shame he didn't do the other 180 books.
Oh maybe, imagine this, he actually had a different opinion and liked the film more than you. Crazy right?:D

Last edited:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
what is the relationship between LOGAN'S RUN and 3D?

In was just using it as an example of awful SF but oddly enough it was the first movie to use a genuine 3D holographic image of a cast member, Michael York.
Weird what one thinks about whilst sitting out the Apocalypse.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Too bad I bought them when they first came out, could have saved a ton of money. Oh well, have got to enjoy them all this time.

I always show guests CEASEFIRE to really show what a real POPOUT looks out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Look at it this way: that you bought each of them when they were first released and at full price is what enabled Kino and the 3D Film Archive to continue working on their next releases. If everyone had waited until clearance pricing to buy, they never would have been able to work on all the movies they have.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I got my UK-DHL shipped Frozen II two days ago, but as a healthcare essential worker, didn't have time to watch until last night. Started at 11:30pm got half way through... really impressed by the 3D! I actually don't generally care whether or not there are lots of pop outs, especially if gimmicky, but the many pop-out snow flakes and ice spikes etc make sense for the movie.

Someone posted disappointment with the dark scenes 3D, but I disagree. Or maybe it is the display (my LG OLED displays the blacks and the 3D together remarkably well). The night or dream sequences look like they are designed for 3D, can't imagine these scenes being anywhere near as satisfying in 2D.

I fell asleep halfway through (tried not to, long day at work, not the fault of the movie!) so I'm looking forward to finishing this. FWIW I never saw this in theater so this is my first time with Frozen II. I can't fairly judge how it compares with Frozen I for storyline, I'll reserve judgment until I finish, but I think the use of 3D surpasses the very good 3D on Frozen, in that these dream/night/misty forest scenes seem designed for 3D, with effects and entertaining moments that would be lost on a 2D showing.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Received a notice from Amazon.UK that my 3D copy of STAR WARS would be delayed a few weeks.

It got me thinking as to whether I really wanted it or not. From everything I have heard, the 3D was not that impressive, to begin with.

Will think about it.
I only own 3D versions of every SW film that has a 3D release. I find that even the weakest of 3D conversions in the series so far give more theatricality to the experience than the 2D version. So far. So I'm hopeful this will be true for the new one too. So I'm hanging in there.

FWIW my first impression of Rise of Skywalker was positive (2D in a theater). I don't love all the SW films, but there's something to like in all of them. And I try not to compare them against each other, but take each one on its own merits. The weakest I think are Episodes 1 and 2.

I liked in ROS that the Disney/JJ Abrams productions have their own look and style distinct from Lucas, yet in ROS there were lots of nice nods to the old Lucas style, in little details like hooded characters glancing in the direction of the camera briefly to reveal who they are, in brief little campy quips (most famously "I've got a bad feeling about this" or twists on that), in music moving the plot as much as characters or actions, in the (production-cost-saving) curved white halls of the stormtrooper occupied space vehicles, and little stylistic bits like that.

As for the 3D, haven't seen ROS in 3D yet, but the other day my wife was watching a Disney Plus streamed UHD 2D version of the Force Awakens (yeah, I know, we have the disk, but what can I say?), and I noticed it just didn't have that big theatrical feel without the 3D. So even if it turns out not to be the best of the 3D conversions in the series, I expect it to be preferable to the 2D. I'll know soon, I just got a mysterious UK charge for $26 and change on my card and expect a shipping notice soon....

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Finished Frozen II last night. It's challenging to be a sequel. The freshness and surprise of introducing new characters and situations are generally used up in the original. Still, our family thought this was a good conclusion, wrapping up the story from the first Frozen film. A bit less focus on first romance and youthful identity angst; a bit more mature (Olaf makes this entertainingly clear) themes of character purpose and heritage. It's a Disney film of course, so themes go no deeper than necessary to stay fun.

The 3D: I found the 3D added to the storytelling, in ways that would be lost in a 2D version. Just as I thought after viewing Alita, Battle Angel, with Frozen II, it is refreshing that a new film released on disk is a strong addition to the list of best, artistic uses of 3D, in a time when 3D is supposed to be "dead."

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I only have “The Lion King” 3D, and I’m all caught up. My 3D rarities 2 is locked up in my US mailbox, and “The Rise Of Skywalker in 3D” is supposed to be there by May 10.

I wonder if I call my US post office, they would package up my PO Box stuff and mail it here. I’d pay of course.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We watched Jurassic Park again yesterday, there are a few kind of cardboard cutout moments but overall I forgot how good a 3D conversion this is!.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CoolMovies
    Recent bookmarks