Radioman970

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
finally saw Lego Batman. I kept falling asleep. then pausing over and over to do something else in the other room. I've never done that with a 3D. The Lego Movie was a favorite but this was different. Will try again one day.

Reactions: Panman40

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We enjoyed frozen ll today. Not as much as the first film but I’m sure on each watch it will grow on us. The 3D was very good for the most part but there is quite a number of dark scenes which are more pronounced with an active display. Audio is 7.1 and with the correct volume used for Disney titles is very engaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Hillenbrand

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
I might be posting this on the wrong place. There may be a forum with the answer already. What do I need to know when looking to buy overseas 3d blurays? I have seen words like "region free." How do I know it will work for my Blu player? How do I know if the 3d version is from production companies or knockoff? I have most always only bought from retail stores to make sure I was getting a real copy but I'm seeing that y'all buy overseas Amazon etc. I also look at the 3d symbol on the covers to see if looks legit. I have always wondered if I have a real copy of Avatar. I got it cheap from Amazon and case looks different. Am I wrong on all this?

Last edited:

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a very large 3D collection (380+) and I personally have not had any problem with buying outside of the USA.

To get answers to all your questions, I'd go to Blu-ray.com (3D section). :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mredwards

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Region Free means it should play on all normal properly functioning 3D capable Bluray players with proper attached 3D Monitor regardless whether the machine was manufactured/sold in North America, Europe, Asia, AUS, India.

While some 2D movie can be region free, but encoded 1080/50i (mostly EU TV sets) which some US players (mostly Sony standalones and pre-PS4 models) have issues with, this isn't possible with 3D Bluray. The same issue can affect the extras on a disc which can be a mix of StdDef PAL, 50i HD, and 100% US friendly.

If you're aren't sure -- search the threads here, check the 3D Subforum at Blu-ray.com which has a much larger international membership and a pretty large amt of US people importing discs, or just ask about a specific item

MOST (not all) 3D Bootlegs are BD-R so if your Avatar disc looks like every other disc on the Shiny Side it's probably OK. If it's Dark Bronze or nearly Black it's a bootleg. Avatar had so many versions it's hard to say, but Amazon sometimes sneaks in a Canadian or Import copy accidentally so the cover art might be different, but still legit. It's also possible to have an item with the legit disc, but some scammer watched it (or stole/bought a Rental) and returned it with a homemade Coverart insert and resealed it. If you can post a picture of the item here it's possible someone could do a quick check.

Checking places like Blu-ray.com disc database can usually tell you most of the items that at least had legit releases and the countries that released it officially. It also has confirmed region coding on a lot of discs though outside UK discs, the % of discs checked/reported can be very spotty. Under no circumstances believe most of the retail sites when it comes to listing of region locked discs though if you buy something from Amazon that says Region Free and it turns out it isn't they'll at least refund you. If it doesn't have an official release and someone is selling it, then it's a pirate (often torrented from a PPV, Sat TV, streaming service that broadcasts 3D). A few items like Ralph Breaks the Internet have only a single country legit release (Japan) so items from other countries with English Cover art are bootlegs.

Buying from legit companies doesn't 100% guarantee a non-bootleg, but does improve your odds a lot. Ebay and 3rd Place Marketplace sellers increase the chances of a bootleg substantially as does buying anything that originates in China, Russia, Turkey, Greece, and nearly 100% of the Ebay Sri Lanka sold discs. Any item that states in the description "Only plays in Bluray players and may not play in Blu-ray Game consoles" is assumed to be a burned pirated discs

Spain is a weird place apparently is the way they enforce copyright so apparently there are quite a few companies that legally sell on Amazon discs which are pirates and bootlegs -- anything from Resen is highly suspect, but there are numerous other companies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a very large 3D collection (380+) and I personally have not had any problem with buying outside of the USA.

To get answers to all your questions, I'd go to Blu-ray.com (3D section). :thumbsup:

Why are you recommending people go to a competing forum to get their questions answered?!!

Or are you just talking about their database?

Reactions: Tino

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Region Free means it should play on all normal properly functioning 3D capable Bluray players with proper attached 3D Monitor regardless whether the machine was manufactured/sold in North America, Europe, Asia, AUS, India.

While some 2D movie can be region free, but encoded 1080/50i (mostly EU TV sets) which some US players (mostly Sony standalones and pre-PS4 models) have issues with, this isn't possible with 3D Bluray. The same issue can affect the extras on a disc which can be a mix of StdDef PAL, 50i HD, and 100% US friendly.

If you're aren't sure -- search the threads here, check the 3D Subforum at Blu-ray.com which has a much larger international membership and a pretty large amt of US people importing discs, or just ask about a specific item

MOST (not all) 3D Bootlegs are BD-R so if your Avatar disc looks like every other disc on the Shiny Side it's probably OK. If it's Dark Bronze or nearly Black it's a bootleg. Avatar had so many versions it's hard to say, but Amazon sometimes sneaks in a Canadian or Import copy accidentally so the cover art might be different, but still legit. It's also possible to have an item with the legit disc, but some scammer watched it (or stole/bought a Rental) and returned it with a homemade Coverart insert and resealed it. If you can post a picture of the item here it's possible someone could do a quick check.

Checking places like Blu-ray.com disc database can usually tell you most of the items that at least had legit releases and the countries that released it officially. It also has confirmed region coding on a lot of discs though outside UK discs, the % of discs checked/reported can be very spotty. Under no circumstances believe most of the retail sites when it comes to listing of region locked discs though if you buy something from Amazon that says Region Free and it turns out it isn't they'll at least refund you. If it doesn't have an official release and someone is selling it, then it's a pirate (often torrented from a PPV, Sat TV, streaming service that broadcasts 3D). A few items like Ralph Breaks the Internet have only a single country legit release (Japan) so items from other countries with English Cover art are bootlegs.

Buying from legit companies doesn't 100% guarantee a non-bootleg, but does improve your odds a lot. Ebay and 3rd Place Marketplace sellers increase the chances of a bootleg substantially as does buying anything that originates in China, Russia, Turkey, Greece, and nearly 100% of the Ebay Sri Lanka sold discs. Any item that states in the description "Only plays in Bluray players and may not play in Blu-ray Game consoles" is assumed to be a burned pirated discs

Spain is a weird place apparently is the way they enforce copyright so apparently there are quite a few companies that legally sell on Amazon discs which are pirates and bootlegs -- anything from Resen is highly suspect, but there are numerous other companies.
Thank yall so much for your time and expertise! I understand it a lot better now. The Ralph example was very helpful. I have some resources to fall back on now.

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Why are you recommending people go to a competing forum to get their questions answered?!!

Or are you just talking about their database?
I didn't take it at all that he wasn't willing to help. Just that he was giving a resource to use for specifics. Everyone here has always been so helpful with the few questions I've ask

Reactions: John Sparks

David Norman

Producer
Premium
I didn't take it at all that he wasn't willing to help. Just that he was giving a resource to use for specifics. Everyone here has always been so helpful with the few questions I've ask
Also realize the Korea, Hong Kong, and Japan which still have a lot of 3D releases are Region A so no problems with playing them in the US. Virtually all the major studio releases have English Audio tracks and most have English subtitles -- the bluray.com database lists audio tracks and usually subtitle for specific releases. Japanese items often have Japanese only menus while Korean and HK items can frequently have an option for the menu to be in English, but it's not too difficult to work your way through them even if they aren't

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
No need to go anywhere else. We can answer all your questions here! Welcome to the HTF. :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrosmed