What's new

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
View attachment 69722

Another HTF recommendation that I somewhat regret purchasing, though was fairly cheap enough it wasn't a total waste.

While I saw one really decent pop-out effect, the total effort in filming this specifically for the format is completely wasted in that the entire film takes place at night -- in the dark -- which completely hinders the 3D effects.

I have always said in my reviews that there needs to be a good amount of light output within a film to properly convey 3D.

The movie itself isn't really good, either. It plays more like a Twilight Zone episode than anything really riveting.

This probably was discussed prior within this thread, but French subtitles are forced when watching this in English language.

You also need a region-free player to watch it.

Ah yes, Twilight Time, Rod Serling's forgotten classic.:):rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I bought it, watched it, and will refuse to sell it. A winner in my book! Charming movie with lots of depth and really interesting visuals. Perfect for those who generally can't deal with foreign films due to the subtitles, as this one needs and has none.

While "pop-out's" are fun, that shouldn't be the only reason for purchasing 3D movies. Pixar is not big on the in-your-face stuff, but uses depth with great forethought and precision. In real life, not many things come jumping into one's face, but there is great beauty in perceiving the infinite layering of the objects in our vision, if we are fortunate to be able to. Keeps us centered and better able to navigate. Depth in 3D Blu-rays can be simply awesome. I am glad I do not restrict my 3D collection only those movies that seem to have ojects brushing my nose every minute or two.

Yes, the SAMMY adventures have wonderful forward effects, and MADAGASCAR 3 is a roller coaster of them, but I also treasure the TOY STORY films and a few (not all) of the Marvel movies and MINISCULE for letting me imagine that my display is a window looking out onto a world I feel I could walk into, look around in, and discover really cool things in all corners and beyond the next tree.

im glad you liked it!, I did to but my wife and myself agreed it would not be watched again simple as that. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I found seeing Jupiter Ascending in 3D made all the difference. I basically thought it was crap when I first viewed it in 2D.

I thought it was crap either way. That said, I watched it on my old Panny plasma, which didn't do 3D as well as my current LG OLED.

The 3D was good but not great on the plasma - might be better on the OLED...

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
"Enter the Warrior's Gate" (2016).
A colourful and engaging adventure romp in which a high school kid is mistaken for a mighty warrior and is sent back in time to protect a beautiful princess in Ancient China.
Gorgeous location photography, a few decent jokes, some spectacular stunts and fx, an engaging performance from Ni Ni as Princess Su Lin plus Dave Bautista as the bad guy make for an entertaining movie.
It's a conversion but a very good one. Recommended.
Region B from Amazon for about £25.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We watched Disney's G-Force yesterday, I thought I had this in 2D but could never have watched it as neither my wife or I remembered it.
What an enjoyable watch ! And the 3D was excellent throughout with plenty of pop outs and objects spilling over the black scope bars !.
Really glad I picked this one up.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
3D day.png

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's a shame the fine documentary CUNNINGHAM doesn't seem to be getting a 3D disc release. Like PINA it's beautifully done but few people were able to experience it theatrically as intended.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, what about the cheapest ?...

Not sure, but I can't find anything particularly cheaper right now and with the vagaries of customs or delivery fees on top of shipping, I;m not sure of the hidden costs from other sites. Deep Discount appears to be a little more than WowHD even using the new 15% code

The exchange rate is fluctuating so badly right now it makes it even tougher to outguess a preorder
Looking at my AmazonUK orders it appears teh exchange rate has dropped from 1.32 to barely 1.20 today (nowhere near as bad as the AUD/USD exchange when has gone from 0.70 to under 0.60 in a few weeks

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Not sure, but I can't find anything particularly cheaper right now and with the vagaries of customs or delivery fees on top of shipping, I;m not sure of the hidden costs from other sites. Deep Discount appears to be a little more than WowHD even using the new 15% code

The exchange rate is fluctuating so badly right now it makes it even tougher to outguess a preorder
Looking at my AmazonUK orders it appears teh exchange rate has dropped from 1.32 to barely 1.20 today (nowhere near as bad as the AUD/USD exchange when has gone from 0.70 to under 0.60 in a few weeks

Not great times is it, I wouldn’t like to guess where this will end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks