John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Really liked everything about...especially the wolves. Damn good audio with lots of bass and I enjoyed the story line. Shot for 3D. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

STORKS

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I see that Tiny Giants is a ‘BBC Earth’ title yet it’s proving difficult to find in the UK.
Wonder why the BBC did not release Tiny Giants 3D, Wings 3D or Planet Dinosaur 3D in the UK?
All of them were released in the U.S. on April 7, 2015. (Wings 3D 85 min is part of Winged Planet 3D 94 min released in the U.S. on Mar 18, 2014 ?)

Tiny Giants 3D, Wings 3D Planet Dinosaur 3D.jpg

Update:

Found Planet Dinosaur 3D: Hidden Killers was released in the UK on 8-20-2012 !

Last edited:

Panman40

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Wonder why the BBC did not release Tiny Giants 3D, Wings 3D or Planet Dinosaur 3D in the UK?
All of them were released in the U.S. on April 7, 2015.

View attachment 68028
It’s a mystery, when I saw BBC Earth on the cover I thought eBay UK for a few £ at most. Most peculiar!.

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Shot especially for 3D, as if you didn't know...and it really shows. There 's a good 5 mi. extra on how they filmed it in 3D, but it's not in 3D. Great story, almost everything is practical effects and super audio. I tried it in Russian with English subs, but it wasn't right. So I switched to English audio and they did a very good job of dubbing. A real must for your collections. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
Shot especially for 3D, as if you didn't know...and it really shows. There 's a good 5 mi. extra on how they filmed it in 3D, but it's not in 3D. Great story, almost everything is practical effects and super audio. I tried it in Russian with English subs, but it wasn't right. So I switched to English audio and they did a very good job of dubbing. A real must for your collections. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Good to know. I've had this on a wish list for a while but have not yet pulled the trigger.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What do you mean? Was the sync off?
Haven’t noticed it on a disc, but on TV some subtitles come way to early or late and it’s very irritating.

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
Haven’t noticed it on a disc, but on TV some subtitles come way to early or late and it’s very irritating.
I watched Stalingrad with the subtitles and had no issues. Was wondering what issues John had regarding the subs not being “right”.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It may be player/display/human dependent but sometimes my brain has issues with subtitles on 3D content. It’s never a problem for me if they’re part of the movie itself (like in “Avatar”) but sometimes the player generated ones at home seem to sit awkwardly on top the image rather than blending with it, and it can seem to diminish the actual 3D effect and cause some eye strain. It’s not with every subtitles movie but it’s happened to me before. Maybe that’s what he’s describing?

Panman40

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I watched Stalingrad with the subtitles and had no issues. Was wondering what issues John had regarding the subs not being “right”.
My guess is John just didn't like the subs so went with dubbed, that's what I did.

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
My guess is John just didn't like the subs so went with dubbed, that's what I did.
To each his own. I always listen to the original language when watching a foreign language film. The dubbing is usually horrendous and takes away from the actors performances. I remember sampling the dubbing on Stalingrad and my opinion remains the same.

As Bong Joon Hoo recently said after winning one of his many awards for the brilliant Parasite...

‘Once you overcome the one-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films’

Reactions: phillyrobt

TJPC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We both sit down in our front room about 4:00 every day. I watch the latest Blu ray purchase and my wife plays games on her iPad. She also often falls asleep right away.

When I see that I immediately put the TV on mute and switch to subtitles if available. It is a good substitute, but gets tiring after about an hour. One side benefit — I have been watching the same Monty Python sketches for 45 years. You would be surprised what dialogue the average person misses.

Panman40

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin Campbell
To each his own. I always listen to the original language when watching a foreign language film. The dubbing is usually horrendous and takes away from the actors performances. I remember sampling the dubbing on Stalingrad and my opinion remains the same.

As Bong Joon Hoo recently said after winning one of his many awards for the brilliant Parasite...

‘Once you overcome the one-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films’
absolutely, and I agree some dubbing is awful but I will take that over subtitles and 3D. I thought we recently watched Stalingrad but I can’t remember much about it. I will have to watch it again.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
I find with subtitles that I don’t see the actors performance at all. My eyes stay at the bottom as I do nothing but read.
I'm not really averse to subtitles occasionally, and I'm a pretty fast reader, but I feel the same way if a film is very dialogue-intensive. At that point, you may as well just be reading the printed screenplay as you're missing most of the actors performances and visual aspects of the film.

I did watch a 3D film one time where the main titles were only present in one eye. That was causing eyestrain, and I was glad it only lasted a couple minutes. If this were the case for a 3D feature film with subtitles only in one eye, I wouldn't be able to watch it.

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Just wanted to thank John Sparks for being such a gracious host and allowing me to watch a 3D movie at his place, even though he wasn't able to at the time. You're great, John.
You're more than welcome Robert. You'll have to come over and we'll see how the acoustic panels work out. I have to have Don (another HTF member) over also to see if those panels sound good to him.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay