What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Just finished CREATURE FTBL and used screen size from 110" to 300". Martin was right , it really changes wider separation with the glasses off. What does it do for the depth as the film plays, it looks the same for screen size 110 and 300. I tried it for NEED FOR SPEED and it's the same.

My 3D PJ has no ghosting/crosstalk on anything that I watch. Maybe I was hoping for more depth and thought I was seeing it at 300" and I wasn't. Oh, well, I'm just happy I can enjoy my 3Ders.

thanks for confirming that John, it should infact increase depth or pop out the wider the separation. Did you notice if you lost any of the image at the sides ?.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Hey this is a bit different, but I just discovered the 2D-3D conversion of my LG OLED (which I never used except as a curiosity when I first bought the display years ago), actually does a nice job on some of the simple renderings of some cartoony Nintendo WiiU games. I kind of rediscovered Mario Cart 8, and I'm amazed the conversion kinda works well for the animated games.

It's no T. S. Spivey, but it adds legitimate dimension and depth to the games. I honestly expected it to distort the playing field but it helps anticipate depths and curves and upcoming obstacles. And yes I'm way too old to be admitting to all this....

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I liked this. The 3D wasn't that strong but an enjoyable little movie. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

s-l500.png

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
The debut of 3D Film Archives' restoration of the rare 1953 Cesar Romero / Katy Jurado swashbuckler EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA in 3-D -- to be featured on the Flicker Alley release of "3D Rarities 2" (yes, along with the opening segment of Frankenstein's Bloody Terror) bows early Sunday afternoon Feb. 23 at NYC's Film Forum.

12:50pm showing. Details and ticket ordering are here: https://filmforum.org/film/el-corazo...-espada-in-3-d

Paging all NYC-area 3D-enthusiast HTF members: Let's all turn out to see this (and to give Bob Furmanek a pat-on-the-back) .... and then maybe go for a boozy late brunch/ early dinner.....

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
it should infact increase depth or pop out the wider the separation. Did you notice if you lost any of the image at the sides ?.

When increasing screen size, the sides decrease, but just a tad. No difference in depth.

The Oppo's 3D image positioning has no visible decrease of side, top, or bottom landscape area when settings are changed from 65 inches to 999. Only noticeable visible change is in the z-plane's placement.

Verified with Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D vertical and horizontal positioning tool that shows the parmeter remaining constant during Oppo's 3D TV Size changes, visible by the white surrounding pixel parameter.

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked this. The 3D wasn't that strong but an enjoyable little movie. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

s-l500.png

Yes. It is too bad that the films from lesser known animation houses get crushed at the box office, because people seem to only to go to an animated film if it has Disney, Pixar or, to a lesser extent, Dreamworks or Sony Animation fronting them. I thought this was a nicely done take on the story with a mix of CG and paper cutout animation. I haven't been able to see the 3D version, but the film was just as good in 2D.

Another film to watch for is a French animated film called "A Long Way North". I thought that it was a very nicely done film too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61zZdZ0aKvL.jpg

I really struggled with whether I should do a separate review for this title or not.

I mean, I can tell you right now that it gets top scores in every category when it comes to the perfect 3D presentation.

It's just that I so much hate writing reviews these days and this title has been out in the market for almost five years now and I just discovered it by accident when someone on Facebook was raving about this being spectacular. He was right, by the way!

This is one of the best 3D titles out there. If I could find room on my list -- and I may just do that -- it would make the Top 30 easily.

This is not the "hokey" documentary I expected it to be.

Imagine if Steven Spielberg decided to make a documentary about a chipmunk and grasshopper mouse. It would probably turn out to be something like this.

This is EPIC. A lot of thought in both visuals and storytelling went into this 43-minute documentary. I keep calling this a documentary, but it really comes off more of a movie with some stunning photography that is often slowed down and action sequences that look as if they were inspired by "The Matrix." Watching this you know that it's not totally real. The animals act as if they are actors. Single shots of nature suddenly take on progressional changes that had to be enhanced with CGI. There are a lot of "tricks of the trade" going on here which makes this presentation so damn entertaining. There is a "making of" documentary included that I did not have time to watch so I am certain many of my curiosities will be answered there.

Now the best part...

The 3D is off the rails here. There is so much in-yo-face action here, purposely slowed down, enhanced and thrown in your face all throughout. The pop-out is very, very extreme here. Additionally, it seems that this was lensed for an IMAX presentation, so projected, I enjoyed this beautiful, sharp and well-detailed 1.78:1 ratio presentation unfold before me. The 5.1 surround is also extremely lively, with the intricate sounds of nature constantly enveloping me.

The narration didn't bother me. It's an intricate part of the storytelling and I think it played out well in guiding the viewer through the adventure.

It really saddens me to find a buried treasure like this knowing the format is dead. However, I bought it because someone raved about the 3D quality and now I can hopefully do the same for you.

This is probably going to be the best $20 you spend this week.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Oppo's 3D image positioning has no visible side, top, or bottom landscape area decrease when settings are changed from 65 inches to 999. Only noticeable visible change is in the z-plane's placement.

Verified with Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D vertical and horizontal positioning tool that shows the parmeter remaining constant during Oppo's 3D TV Size changes, visible by the white surrounding pixel parameter.

View attachment 67931
What effect does it have on the 3D?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
What effect does it have on the 3D?
I first noticed an expansion change in graphics placement.

Here is a description from a person on another thread:

"Paul, every time you do one of these additions I think you are a psychology major and are playing a placebo trick on us. I started with XXX: The Return of Xander Cage which is a 4.5/5 for a 3D presentation. Not perfect, but very strong! OMG your little 999 addition makes me think I am watching a 3D film from the 80's. To be honest I am not a fan of weak 3D. If you are going to do 3D due it and do not half ass it! I have seen more than a few features where the 3D is so weak you forget you are watching a 3D film. XXX now just pops with insane depth. The depth into the screen is crazy! Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D has never looked so good. Alita: Battle Angel which I thought was a really disappointing 3d feature being that it was so new and 3D as of late has been so stellar. Alita: Battle Angel now actually looks 3D for the run time of the film. Go to the Motorball Race Fight sequence. Now this scene just pops with insane depth and looks so much better."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The debut of 3D Film Archives' restoration of the rare 1953 Cesar Romero / Katy Jurado swashbuckler EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA in 3-D -- to be featured on the Flicker Alley release of "3D Rarities 2" (yes, along with the opening segment of Frankenstein's Bloody Terror) bows early Sunday afternoon Feb. 23 at NYC's Film Forum.

12:50pm showing. Details and ticket ordering are here: https://filmforum.org/film/el-corazo...-espada-in-3-d

Paging all NYC-area 3D-enthusiast HTF members: Let's all turn out to see this (and to give Bob Furmanek a pat-on-the-back) .... and then maybe go for a boozy late brunch/ early dinner.....

I would love to attend but unfortunately I have a prior commitment that I don’t think I can get out of.

However, I just wanted to say, if you guys do have a gathering at the Film Forum, I recommend a place around the corner called Spunto for lunch or dinner. They have some of the most incredible thin crust pizza I’ve ever had. It defies the laws of physics what they’re able to do with such a thin crust. Nice beer and wine selection too!

and if you do end up having a gathering, please post just in case I’m somehow able to get that day free, or if not, so I can live vicariously through you :D

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I would love to attend but unfortunately I have a prior commitment that I don’t think I can get out of.

However, I just wanted to say, if you guys do have a gathering at the Film Forum, I recommend a place around the corner called Spunto for lunch or dinner. They have some of the most incredible thin crust pizza I’ve ever had. It defies the laws of physics what they’re able to do with such a thin crust. Nice beer and wine selection too!

and if you do end up having a gathering, please post just in case I’m somehow able to get that day free, or if not, so I can live vicariously through you :D

Thanks, Josh!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The Oppo's 3D image positioning has no visible decrease of side, top, or bottom landscape area when settings are changed from 65 inches to 999. Only noticeable visible change is in the z-plane's placement.

View attachment 67931

...and now the layman's version.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just waiting for a cheap price for FINAL DESTINATION 4, the one with the races at the beginning...that's what I want to see in 3D.

Ron, going to see who's selling this and I'll order it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So,I just popped in the Predigious TS Spivet and watched about 6 minutes and the 3D is amazing.
Really beautiful

It's one of the best 3D titles out there. It was lensed specifically for 3D. If more Hollywood movies had followed the TS Spivet blueprint perhaps the format would not have withered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation155
    Recent bookmarks