John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
I haven’t tried any maximum settings a John but did you notice the sides of the image getting smaller and the 3D separation getting wider at all ?.
The Epson has a setting for depth, and I keep it on "0", that shows a ghost free 3D picture. The screen size is set at 110". I put it at 300" (max) and for some reason the depth goes to "4". The picture looks the same. I had one of this sites members over and he agreed with me...I wish it did. :3dglasses:

Reactions: Panman40

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
I enjoyed both Garfield Spider-Man Films way better than the MCU Holland films. Even the 3-D was better.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
For what it’s worth, I like the second one more than the first - better 3D, better action, more fun. It’s a bit of a mess and the movie most similar to it in my mind is Batman Forever, but I thought it was a reasonably fun big dumb comic movie.
Pretty much my impressions after watching it tonight. Big, dumb fun. I thought Garfield and especially Emma Stone looked older than just-graduated high school seniors, and Spider-Man's continual longing for love gets old fast for me (in all the incarnations of the story, not just this one). But I always love Spider-Man's rapport with the public: it's my favorite thing about the character, and this movie offered lots of payoffs in that area.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What makes the love longing in ASM2 even worse is that it basically replays the same plot point from ASM1 but negates the character development from the first film.

In ASM1, Peter wants Gwen but fears that being Spidey makes it impossible to date her without risking her safety. Peter’s character arc is realizing, with the death of Gwen’s police chief father in the line of duty, that he can’t date Gwen and ensure her safety, and that letting her go is the responsible way to protect the one he loves. It demonstrates character growth and maturity. It personifies “with great power comes great responsibility” and shows us an example of Peter taking that to heart.

And then ASM2 begins and it’s like all of that went out the window, with Peter back in this relationship while questioning whether he should be in it. In a court setting, you’d call that “asked and answered.”

This sequel was written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci as the two men were nearing the end of their creative partnership, and I think by that time, they were spread too thin, taking on too much work, and running out of steam. Their last works together demonstrate this kind of laziness. It works within the context of the individual film but is dissatisfying as part of a continuity. They did a version of this same trick a year earlier in their Star Trek Into Darkness script; their first Star Trek movie shows a young and immature Kirk earning his command and maturing, and then the second film immediately begins with him losing his command and being immature and uncertain of himself again. It’s like they didn’t know how to write either movie with the character in the places they were at; they had to undo the character development from the previous film in order to find their way in. To me, it makes those elements of the plot ring hollow; the conflict feels manufactured rather than organic.

Reactions: Matt Hough

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61zZdZ0aKvL.jpg

My first 3D purchase in quite some time.

Read some really good feedback about the quality of 3D on this one.

Will let you know if I like it once I receive. I put a link below.

Reactions: Radioman970

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen
View attachment 67776

My first 3D purchase in quite some time.

Read some really good feedback about the quality of 3D on this one.

Will let you know if I like it once I receive. I put a link below.

[parsehtml]
<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=htfronsposts-20&language=en_US&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B00SJFCL78&asins=B00SJFCL78&linkId=e24fcdaebb78c606a0f20028b5af3868&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true"></iframe>
[/parsehtml]
Turn off the sound when you watch it; Stephen Fry's treacly narration is dreadful.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Turn off the sound when you watch it; Stephen Fry's treacly narration is dreadful.
Thanks for the warning. I'll let you know what I think

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Just ordered these two, both used of course. :3dglasses:

Reactions: Radioman970

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
I WAS WRONG ABOUT 3D DEPTH. I put the screen size to 300", which increased the depth dramatically, which made viewing this movie, shot with 3D cameras, all the more immersive.

If this is not in your collection, then purchase it and be amazed...it's that good, on all accounts. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
I boosted my screen size in my player settings to 999" and watched The Secret Life of Pets 2 in 3D last night. I thought the 3D was very good, but I'll likely have to watch a disc I've already seen in 3D on my system to see if the settings made any difference.

Reactions: Paul Hillenbrand

Panman40

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I can remember playing with screen size before and every other size resulted in wider separation ( with glasses off) but it did result in a less wide image similar to adjusting Depth”. ?.

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
That could be true about wider separation with glasses off. Going out to the HT to check to see how it looks on the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and THE NEED FOR SPEED.

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I can remember playing with screen size before and every other size resulted in wider separation ( with glasses off) but it did result in a less wide image similar to adjusting Depth”. ?.
3D image parallax changes screen depth. I need to leave everything alone when changing each setting.
Using the simplest, 3D CGI is helpful. Toy Story's Top Menu repeats the same 3D scene over and over.

The LG OLED display has two 3D setup settings "3D Viewpoint" and "3D Depth", both manipulating parallax of the two images to some extent. 3D Viewpoint pushes the image (screen depth setup bar) from 0 = screen depth, 10 = farthest outward and (-10) = farthest inward. "3D Depth" control has a similar parallax move for the (screen depth setup bar) but also, what looks like continual variation of both of the images.

For the Oppo, I don't see obvious parallax image shifting. The "3D TV Size" setting to 999 just looks like it expands visual placement.
Wish I had a setup where I could compare two different sets with different settings at once.

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Interesting statement in the Oppo User Manual for UDP-203
3D TV Size:
"The default value is 46 inches. This value does not directly affect video quality,
but some 3D movies may use this value to decide how to place certain graphics."

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Just finished CREATURE FTBL and used screen size from 110" to 300". Martin was right , it really changes wider separation with the glasses off. What does it do for the depth as the film plays, it looks the same for screen size 110 and 300. I tried it for NEED FOR SPEED and it's the same.

My 3D PJ has no ghosting/crosstalk on anything that I watch. Maybe I was hoping for more depth and thought I was seeing it at 300" and I wasn't. Oh, well, I'm just happy I can enjoy my 3Ders.

Panman40

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Just finished CREATURE FTBL and used screen size from 110" to 300". Martin was right , it really changes wider separation with the glasses off. What does it do for the depth as the film plays, it looks the same for screen size 110 and 300. I tried it for NEED FOR SPEED and it's the same.

My 3D PJ has no ghosting/crosstalk on anything that I watch. Maybe I was hoping for more depth and thought I was seeing it at 300" and I wasn't. Oh, well, I'm just happy I can enjoy my 3Ders.
thanks for confirming that John, it should infact increase depth or pop out the wider the separation. Did you notice if you lost any of the image at the sides ?.

John Sparks

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
John Sparks
Martin, that I will have to check on...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay