What's new

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wow! The wife and I really enjoyed this quirky little film. Everything about it was grand and the 3D was in the top 5 for 3D...no to many films come even close. The only thing I found put offish was the 3 times using the F word. Anyway, if it's not in your collection...GET IT!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

81bSNMwQK2L._AC_SY550_.jpg
Is this region free?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Spivet
French and German are B locked
Australia (shown above) - ?? I thought it was region free, but I can't find a post to confirm
Netherlands -- Region Free
Hong Kong -- Region A locked about $15-16 shipped from DDDhouse

John's post shows the AUS version, but I thought he posted that he ordered it from Hong Kong right before Christmas

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Spivet
French and German are B locked
Australia (shown above) - ?? I thought it was region free, but I can't find a post to confirm
Netherlands -- Region Free
Hong Kong -- Region A locked about $15-16 shipped from DDDhouse

John's post shows the AUS version, but I thought he posted that he ordered it from Hong Kong right before Christmas

pretty sure my copy was the AUS version and region free.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I agree the F word is often unnecessary, but can be a vital component.

I would say that its use in T.S. SPIVET is almost crucial to making the point. It was excised in the U.S. theaters to achieve a PG rating, and it practically negates the point of conflict with the character who utters it.

I do not ever use the word in conversation myself, and I'm finding its increasing acceptance has led to overuse in many shows on subscription TV (JACK RYAN, several others) when milder epithets would work just as well. "WTH" has been supplanted with "WTF" in a growing majority of programs; what I call the Deadwood Effect. What was once alarming is now casual conversation unless kids happen to be in a scene.

It's SPIVET's use in the presence of a child that makes it stand out as especially crude.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched Abominable 3D tonight. This is one of the most beautifully-animated films I've ever seen. Once the action leaves the city, it's just one breathtaking scene after another as they cross the countryside. Enhanced by 3D, it was just incredible. Beautiful depth and several nice projections. Even Everest's fur in HD 3D was amazing.

Its a shame so many passed on this in theaters, and even fewer saw it in 3D.

Be sure to watch all the way to the end of the credits. Whoop!

Side note: as someone who wears glasses, it's not always very comfortable to wear 3D glasses over my regular glasses. I found some that work pretty good, so it's never been much of an issue, but I always thought it would be nice to have clip-ons. I finally found some clip-on active 3D glasses. They seem to work well. A touch heavy, perhaps, but after a few minutes I didn't really notice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSN592R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was disappointed that the circular polarization RealD used never became the theatrical and home standard (it’s the same tech that is used on passive 4K screens). They make that kind of lens in prescription glasses and that would’ve been awesome to have.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
What a super fun movie with actors the wife and I really like. A few cameos that really add some charm to the story. Of course the 3D was great, music, scenery and audio. It was good but nothing great about it, but it was in Atmos! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :popcorn: :3dglasses:

71RuUw5CwgL._SX466_.jpg

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Watched Abominable 3D tonight. This is one of the most beautifully-animated films I've ever seen. Once the action leaves the city, it's just one breathtaking scene after another as they cross the countryside. Enhanced by 3D, it was just incredible. Beautiful depth and several nice projections. Even Everest's fur in HD 3D was amazing.

Its a shame so many passed on this in theaters, and even fewer saw it in 3D.

Be sure to watch all the way to the end of the credits. Whoop!

Side note: as someone who wears glasses, it's not always very comfortable to wear 3D glasses over my regular glasses. I found some that work pretty good, so it's never been much of an issue, but I always thought it would be nice to have clip-ons. I finally found some clip-on active 3D glasses. They seem to work well. A touch heavy, perhaps, but after a few minutes I didn't really notice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSN592R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fantastic, I’m really looking forward to getting my German copy next month, it will be just in time for my birthday. I’m really missing a good animated 3D title of late !.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I was disappointed that the circular polarization RealD used never became the theatrical and home standard (it’s the same tech that is used on passive 4K screens). They make that kind of lens in prescription glasses and that would’ve been awesome to have.
That would of been good, there’s a company in the UK selling active glasses and for £xx amount more they can fit your prescription to them, it’s something I always wanted to try but was worried I may not like the fit and or performance of the glasses.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazon UK seems to be selling the German 3D release of Hobbs & Shaw for £18.90, and would be less than that after VAT deduction. This is less than Amazon Germany.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We watched Finding Nemo yesterday, it's been a long time since it had an airing. Wow what a beautiful colourful piece of animation!, The 3D although not very strong seemed to also look better than my last viewing.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I know it's not 3D, but there were SO many scenes that had so much depth, it would have looked marvelous in 3D...that's how good the CG was. It was much better than the first one, IMO. I was laughing all the way thru it. Don't know why they didn't spend the money to give it 3D.

Anyway, I really enjoyed, no 3D and all. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

81xCVtv4vrL._SX466_.jpg

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI:

We all know that opinions often differ when describing a titles 3D strength.

Found that Oppo has a unique 3D setting in the Setup Menu that affects this experience.

This is a z-plane expansion setting that digitally controls expansion of the z-plane that builds the visible structure-placement of the 3D image landscape. A native-3D feature, not an artificial conversion.

Until now, my “3D TV Size” setting has been set @ 65, matching my LG’s screen size.

Now, I am setting and leaving the setting @ 999 for full expansion of the available 3D encoded information.

Oppo Setup - 3D TV Size @ 999.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks