What's new

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The whole anti-conversion argument seems dated.

Most conversions were iffy 10 years ago, but now they're usually pretty terrific.

If Ron doesn't care about 3D anymore, that's his prerogative, but the "conversions are bad" argument flew away years ago...
Agreed!

Sad to hear the total disappointment for a potential 3D experience that could have been an awesome event!
There is that once bit twice shy conditioning setting in, lost interest and fear of the loss of investment.
Explanations are hard to believe, where there is no visual proof going along with it.
All I know is that todays GREAT 3D experience requires top-of-the-line visualization with a state-of-the-art exhibition setup.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Agreed!

Sad to hear the total disappointment for a potential 3D experience that could have been an awesome event!
There is that once bit twice shy conditioning setting in, lost interest and fear of the loss of investment.
Explanations are hard to believe, where there is no visual proof going along with it.
All I know is that todays GREAT 3D experience requires top-of-the-line visualization with a state-of-the-art exhibition setup.

which often excludes 3D at the cinema / theatre.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t care how 3D is achieved. I care how the effect is deployed. You can make a great 3D film by shooting in 2D and converting (Gravity’s cinematography won an Oscar for doing just that), while you can make a lousy 3D experience shooting with 3D rigs and cameras (X-Men: Days Of Future Past comes to mind).

We don’t call surround sound “real or fake” based on whether dialogue was recorded with one microphone and then mixed into different speakers, or recorded with multiple microphones on set. The capture method is irrelevant to what the final product is.

As to whether the public values 3D or lost interest in it, I don’t think we’ll ever truly know. Unlike almost every other filmmaking evolution which was just added to the spec and considered part of the ticket, everyone got greedy and decided that 3D should cost extra - sometimes a lot extra. Now you’re not asking people to decide whether or not something is good. Now you’re instead asking people to pick apart a complete experience and decide if one component is worth paying more money for when one has the option not to. And almost nothing can survive that level of scrutiny.

Let’s say, for example, that when 4K started rolling out to theaters, that they did the same with that as they did with 3D. One price to see the movie in 2K, another more expensive price to see it in 4K. Pretty soon, you’d have people saying “4K isn’t worth the money” or “2K is good enough for me.” But since studios simply started making films in 4K, and theaters simply replaced older projectors at the end of their lifespans with newer 4K ones, it just became an evolutionary upgrade that was considered part of the cost of doing business. But if the success of 4K as a format was solely dependent on whether a vast majority of theatergoers were willing to spend $5-10 extra per ticket, 4K would be dead or dying too.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, yes.

Even the last Star Wars film (The Last Jedi) didn't greatly benefit from the 3D conversion. I am not even seeing the new film on Friday in 3D because I have given up on the fact that the filmmakers are going to do anything impressive with it, though J.J. Abrams kind of did it with THE FORCE AWAKENS.

I bought AQUAMAN in 3D was totally unimpressed short of maybe one brief scene.

I thought TLJ, and Aquaman had really good 3D overall. Of course I watch both in 4K too, but the depth and immersion on those tiltles in 3D is really good. I don't know, I'm always thrilled with 3D of any new movie on disc. I have seen over 100 3D discs now, and been happy with nearly every one.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Has anyone noticed a few brief uncomfortable 3D moments in Polar express ?, I've seen it many times but never had an issue before, maybe my glasses were playing up. Also I used a different player this year but last week A Christmas carol was flawless on the same player .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The entirety of The Polar Express is an uncomfortable moment, IMO. :P

I don't own that one, but watched A Christmas Carol and The Grinch over the weekend. Both were excellent aside from those couple of glitchy scenes in Grinch.

Is that what you mean by uncomfortable? Like what happens with The Grinch?

3D's of Aladdin and Avengers: Endgame arrived today, and Hobbs & Shaw should arrive soon. I have all next week off, so hopefully it will allow for some intense movie watching time.

Last edited:

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
The entirety of The Polar Express is an uncomfortable moment, IMO. :P

I don't own that one, but watched A Christmas Carol and The Grinch over the weekend. Both were excellent aside from those couple of glitchy scenes in Grinch.

Is that what you mean by uncomfortable? Like what happens with The Grinch?

3D's of Aladdin and Avengers: Endgame arrived today, and Hobbs & Shaw should arrive soon. I have all next week off, so hopefully it will allow for some intense movie watching time.

lol!, I love Polar!. Yes exactly like those grinch glitches, I wonder what it was?.
Roll on the holidays, I have a few films on back log.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disappointed that Jumanji The next level won’t be getting a 3D Blu ray release, it’s the kind of Non animated film that’s fun in 3D.
I wouldn't give up just yet. Most all those pre-order pages are only very early placeholders.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
lol!, I love Polar!. Yes exactly like those grinch glitches, I wonder what it was?.
Roll on the holidays, I have a few films on back log.
We just watched Polar last night. We love the film and the 3D is outstanding. We watch it on a 4K passive 3D display. What exactly were the glitches?

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
We just watched Polar last night. We love the film and the 3D is outstanding. We watch it on a 4K passive 3D display. What exactly were the glitches?
Agreed it’s outstanding, not sure if it was the player or my glasses or something else. Same type of sync issue as the grinch , very brief but made your eyes pull against each other, I didn’t take time stamps as I had company and didn’t want to ruin the moment.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Agreed it’s outstanding, not sure if it was the player or my glasses or something else. Same type of sync issue as the grinch , very brief but made your eyes pull against each other, I didn’t take time stamps as I had company and didn’t want to ruin the moment.
I'm not familiar with the Grinch issues. Do you remember the scene and what kind of glitch?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I'm not familiar with the Grinch issues. Do you remember the scene and what kind of glitch?
A 3 second scene has the L & R images reversed.

Starts around 48:43

IMG_1323.jpg
The Christmas tree in the back looks like it is now in front of the Santa cookie that the Grinch should be holding out of the screen.
It spoils and magnifies the intended pop-out moment.
The glitch was also present in the 3D theatrical exhibition and was not fixed for the authoring of the Blu-ary 3D.:huh:

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes there are a handful of short scenes throughout the film where the 3D is reversed, including the cookie scene above.

Very odd, IMO, how and why this occurred on just a few scattered short scenes. It's like someone sitting at the control desk during the mastering just flipped a switch back and forth that reversed the images at random times.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
...However, Hollywood killed 3D because they did not know how to use it effectively. I am not saying that the pop-out gimmickry should be overused, but when you pay extra for the 3D experience, it should be a special experience.

...I always use the Disney 3D attractions from the 1980s as an example. That stuff used to WOW people. Hollywood rarely was able to duplicate that experience with the resurgence of the format in the 2000s.

I really love the 3D of the 1950s because it is very well pronounced and specifically lensed for the format....

... I am just not impressed anymore. I can see why there's less and less interest in the format.

This is a very interesting discussion. I would love to see a list of some of your favorites.

Chris

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A 3 second scene has the L & R images reversed.

Starts around 48:43

View attachment 66200
The Christmas tree in the back looks like it is now in front of the Santa cookie that the Grinch should be holding out of the screen.
It spoils and magnifies the intended pop-out moment.
The glitch was also present in the 3D theatrical exhibition and was not fixed for the authoring of the Blu-ary 3D.:huh:
I wrote my question so poorly. I meant to ask what are the issues in the Polar Express?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Disappointed that Jumanji The next level won’t be getting a 3D Blu ray release, it’s the kind of Non animated film that’s fun in 3D.

I wouldn't give up just yet. Most all those pre-order pages are only very early placeholders.

Hard to know what will happen; Sony has drastically reduced their support for home 3D with excellent titles like Alpha not getting a 3D disc release anywhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks