1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D HTF TOP 30 MUST OWN 3D TITLES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Let's not forget that Ron has been a 3-D advocate since he started this thread nine years ago. Ron simply hasn't been impressed with many of the latest 3-D titles in regard to the 3-D presentation due to the lack of pop-out.

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Many converted 3D titles do look better than many "lensed for" that format. THE WALK, GRAVITY, and EVEREST are just three that were pretty mind-blowing theatrically and look terrific on my display. And I am not terribly thrilled with the 4K titles I've seen (my 65" LG OLED features both 4K and 3D), and about the only title I am actually waiting for in UHD is LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, if that even ever happens.

We all have our preferences. I like pop-out, too, but not if the story doesn't lend itself to that, which is usually just a gimmick. Good 3D depth is absolutely awesome.

3. Message #10963 of 11318 Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

I do understand that entirely, but I reject the argument on both ends (the 3D or 4K) or rather I reject the argument that all people want the same thing from 3D films. Dismissing something you've seen as bad 3D seems quite different than dismissing all non-native 3D films. Awaiting more reports on Hobbs and Shaw, but so far the couple people who have reported on it seem quite happy

There are obviously close to 11000 posts in this thread mostly from people who enjoy and are quite happy with the results of the few native and the large majority conversions. There are people who are go out of their way to order international, sometimes expensive, and sometimes region locked items just to get that experience.

I just don't understand the point of the post nearly 5 years after the majority (universally?) of titles became converted titles. I would bet the majority of the titles in the TOP 30 from the OP were actually conversions

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Available now in 4K on iTunes. Looks spectacular. Paid $4.99 last year.

5. Panman40

Panman40 Cinematographer

Martin Campbell
    Very sad.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm going to let Ron explain his post as I think you're misunderstanding his point. Those of us that post regularly in this thread buy 3-D titles internationally including Ron.

7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    This irrational conversion prejudice would also dismiss 3D Blu rays of “The Wizard of Oz” and “Titanic” which are reference quality for the format.

Radioman970 and Tino like this.
  8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

That seems likely and hopefully I am missing something.

Panman40 likes this.
  9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Robert, I don't think it's fair to say I don't enjoy 3D because there is no pop-out. I am not sure if that was a jab or not, but that's not the case.

It's that Hollywood doesn't even lense these films for the format and are simply hitting a switch and doing lazy upconversions.

I guess I have just moved on from 3D entirely.t

The love affair is over after all these years.

Had it not been for 4k I probably would still be interested, but given the choice between a 4k release and a 3D I will probably go 4k.

Back in the day, when 3D was new, it was easy to put up with the conversions because everything about the format was still fresh.

However, Hollywood killed 3D because they did not know how to use it effectively. I am not saying that the pop-out gimmickry should be overused, but when you pay extra for the 3D experience, it should be a special experience. The film should be choreographed for the format.

I always use the Disney 3D attractions from the 1980s as an example. That stuff used to WOW people. Hollywood rarely was able to duplicate that experience with the resurgence of the format in the 2000s.

I really love the 3D of the 1950s because it is very well pronounced and specifically lensed for the format. The problem is that 80% of the stuff out of that era is B-movie crap. And you know what? In the beginning, it was easy to sit and watch it just for the experience. Now? It is very hard to sit through those movies. Still, I'll buy up a 1950s crap film over a conversion done today.

I am not belittling anyone who still loves the conversions. Please don't take it that way. I am just not impressed anymore. I can see why there's less and less interest in the format.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, that's what I get for trying to defend you if you think that was a jab. I'm out!

Stephen_J_H and Jimbo64 like this.
  11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

You have a very good point there.

Yes, both films look outstanding in the format.

OZ works very well one, for the type of movie it is and two, for the fresh experience of seeing it with added depth.

I would love to see an upconversion of GONE WITH THE WIND or even MOULIN ROUGE.

TITANIC is a very good upconversion, but don't forget, James Cameron put a lot of work into that upconversion. I don't think any of the studios give as much attention to a title as James Cameron did.

I just think there's more turning on the switch stuff being done to recent films than actually putting any thought behind it.

12. Message #10972 of 11318 Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

That seems to be an awful big one size fits all statement.

What makes you believe that;s all that's being done. There are dozens if not hundreds of 3D discs that look almost as good as Titanic and almost all of them are converted. I don't think manually is the correct term, but it's not all hands off computer algorithm 'flip a switch and output a result"

While agreed there are a ton of German Autoconversions which are done this way and is essentially the same technique as the switch on a 3D TV to make 3D on anything being shown -- with predictable results.
    But the vast majority of theatrical and disc based titles are far from this type of flip the switch results

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Perhaps, yes.

Even the last Star Wars film (The Last Jedi) didn't greatly benefit from the 3D conversion. I am not even seeing the new film on Friday in 3D because I have given up on the fact that the filmmakers are going to do anything impressive with it, though J.J. Abrams kind of did it with THE FORCE AWAKENS.

I bought AQUAMAN in 3D was totally unimpressed short of maybe one brief scene.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Some of us are also 3D capable, but not 4K capable, so 3D is our "niche" format of the moment.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Totally understood.

If that was the case for me, I would be still buying a lot more 3D titles. 4k kind of killed it -- especially since the studios forego the IMAX segments in the 3D releases.

Yeah, if Blu-ray still your dominant format then I can completely understand buying the 3D versions.

16. Panman40

Panman40 Cinematographer

Martin Campbell
    I have the option for both, well not native 4K but almost as good with JVC projector pseudo 4k, I like both formats but a good 3D title has more wow effect for me, I try and research formats of the movies I intend to buy to see what the 4K or 3D quality is like except anything animated then it’s 3D blind buy.

there have only been a handful of really flat poor mainstream conversions I’ve come across that are just not worth having.

John Sparks likes this.
  17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Not always. The UK 3D's of many Marvel films have the IMAX segments included, at least up to Captain Marvel (which is the most recent 3D blu Marvel that I've watched).
    Yes, oddly some of these for me have been the two most recent Star Wars titles (The Last Jedi and Solo), and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Aside from those, I'm mostly happy with recent 3D titles (including Aquaman).

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

The whole anti-conversion argument seems dated.

Most conversions were iffy 10 years ago, but now they're usually pretty terrific.

If Ron doesn't care about 3D anymore, that's his prerogative, but the "conversions are bad" argument flew away years ago...

19. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Agreed!

Sad to hear the total disappointment for a potential 3D experience that could have been an awesome event!
    There is that once bit twice shy conditioning setting in, lost interest and fear of the loss of investment.
    Explanations are hard to believe, where there is no visual proof going along with it.
    All I know is that todays GREAT 3D experience requires top-of-the-line visualization with a state-of-the-art exhibition setup.

20. Panman40

Panman40 Cinematographer

Martin Campbell
    which often excludes 3D at the cinema / theatre.

John Sparks and Paul Hillenbrand like this.