Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I just watched the UK 3D and 2D Spiderman Far From Home, enjoyed the film more than I expected. But the 3D did not look right on my LG OLED. I was surprised to read positive reaction to it. I only got through the first chapter in 3D - the landscapes were curved unnaturally, and half of Peter Parker's close up face in shadow seemed in a closer plane than the non-shadow half of his face. I also didn't appreciate having only 5.1 DTS on the 3D disk while the 2D disk in the set had 7.1 DTS-MA. I rarely give up on a 3D but it looked like the pseudo 3D my LG can generate from 2D material.

Given the positive comments by others, I'm wondering, does the 3D improve later in the film? Is there an explanation why it appears so computer-generated without human correction for dimension flaws on my set but looks good on others? I have all the Marvel films in 3D, all look well rendered just not this one, to my eyes.

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I just watched the UK 3D and 2D Spiderman Far From Home, enjoyed the film more than I expected. But the 3D did not look right on my LG OLED. I was surprised to read positive reaction to it. I only got through the first chapter in 3D - the landscapes were curved unnaturally, and half of Peter Parker's close up face in shadow seemed in a closer plane than the non-shadow half of his face. I also didn't appreciate having only 5.1 DTS on the 3D disk while the 2D disk in the set had 7.1 DTS-MA. I rarely give up on a 3D but it looked like the pseudo 3D my LG can generate from 2D material.

Given the positive comments by others, I'm wondering, does the 3D improve later in the film? Is there an explanation why it appears so computer-generated without human correction for dimension flaws on my set but looks good on others? I have all the Marvel films in 3D, all look well rendered just not this one, to my eyes.
that’s very strange, lifting my glasses occasionally I could see rearward and forward separation which is rare on conversions, IMO this is why it looked fantastic. Perhaps something went awry with your setup ?.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Odd. I didn't notice any issues with the S-M 3D on my system (Optoma projector). Perfect fun from start to finish.

This is a Sony release, rather than Disney, so perhaps they do something different in the mastering from the usual Marvel films that affects some systems?

Reactions: Panman40

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I couldn't find both FANTASTIC BEASTS movies in 3D for a decent price, so I bought both for $15 (BD/UHD) from Amazon today. I would have really liked to see them in 3D buy you gotta know when to fold 'em!

Reactions: Radioman970

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I couldn't find both FANTASTIC BEASTS movies in 3D for a decent price, so I bought both for $15 (BD/UHD) from Amazon today. I would have really liked to see them in 3D buy you gotta know when to fold 'em!
that’s a shame John, they are very good in 3D. Although I’m sure they will look fantastic in uhd.

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Just got around to Godzilla king of the monsters. Enjoyed the first part but Way to long and same ol same ol and became a bore. Much preferred the first one.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just got around to Godzilla king of the monsters. Enjoyed the first part but Way to long and same ol same ol and became a bore. Much preferred the first one.
I also watched this last night. Movie and 3D were nothing really special. Hope the next is better with the arrival of Kong.

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Illumination hits another one out of the ball park. I enjoyed everything about it. Great 3D, ATMOS audio, colors, story, just a little different from the first one. This has more of an adventure story(s). Has some really good songs, especially the ZZ top one for cruising down the road. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Don't forget to watch it all until the rolling credits. Also, watch the shorts on the BD. Hell, they could have put some of them on the 3D disc.

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, another classic from Germany shot with a 3D camera that wraps around a guys neck and the camera is on his head, so the whole movie is his POV. Actually the 3D is pretty damn good except for the movie.

Analysis: it's a POS :thumbsdown: but it has a place in my collection along with some other doozies. :3dglasses:

Reactions: phillyrobt

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Illumination hits another one out of the ball park. I enjoyed everything about it. Great 3D, ATMOS audio, colors, story, just a little different from the first one. This has more of an adventure story(s). Has some really good songs, especially the ZZ top one for cruising down the road. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Don't forget to watch it all until the rolling credits. Also, watch the shorts on the BD. Hell, they could have put some of them on the 3D disc.

Really like these 2 movies, talking of shorts wouldn’t it be fantastic if they could all be put on a couple of discs to purchase! @PaulH lol.

Reactions: John Sparks

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Odd. I didn't notice any issues with the S-M 3D on my system (Optoma projector). Perfect fun from start to finish.

This is a Sony release, rather than Disney, so perhaps they do something different in the mastering from the usual Marvel films that affects some systems?
The LG OLED handles 3D great. So I'll take another look at this one and try some adjustments to my 3D settings and see if it looks more natural.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I watched Spider-Man Far From Home on the same setup as Doug and had zero issues. Looked great in 3D on my lg OLED

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I watched Spider-Man Far From Home on the same setup as Doug and had zero issues. Looked great in 3D on my lg OLED
Watched it on my Optoma DLP projector. 3D looked amazing no issues. Sometimes I have what Doug describes when I sample 3D on my 65" TV, it is a syncing issue. Resolves itself.

Dave>h

Second Unit
If anyone has a region free player and is interested in a Copy of T2 in 3d (my bad, didn't check the region coding and won't play in my player or my xbox one), drop me a PM and we can arrange something.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CeAlCuadrado