What's new

vinnie7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I've seen it in 2D and found it wonderful. typical russian fairy tale creatures, a dash of Lord of the Rings styles. The original filming of the story from 1967 is also worth tracking down. There's some nifty fx that remind me a little of the helping hands from Henson's Labyrinth.
If you have any pointers on where to get one with English subs, that'd be appreciated. I wouldn't be surprised if the price is sky high. Alternatively, I could settle for no subs like I did on these last two titles.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also believe I have all of Bob's suggestions, though I've only watched Cease Fire, The Maze, and Jivaro so far.

I'd also suggest Those Redheads from Seattle.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
just received from the UK PIKACHU. Can' t believe the 3D is only 5.1 and not 7.1, but they put Atmos on the 2D. Just going to watch XXX RETURN OF XANDER CAGE which is Atmos...go figure. :3dglasses:

It’s beginning to go beyond my tolerance threshold,

On a more pleasant note xXx return of Xander cage is a fun watch in 3D !.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought the German version with subs in 2015 from Amazon.de. I paid 19.68 at the time.
I'd be interested in knowing which one that was. Is it also region free?

I'm guessing this may be it: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00W7DP9CM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A10RUDMQMTB3T4&psc=1

I added it to the "basket/cart" a while back but hesitated to finalize. Now I must seek it out elsewhere. I see it on Ebay but no English subs available.
Yep, they have plenty without the subs. why oh why! such a small thing to add. I might get it anyway with some vodka to make it all seem normal that way. lol I have several russian fantasies with no subs. The Adventures of Burantino live action is a unique kids musical from the 70s. it's like cheap disney for my brain. it's Pinocchio really so I know the story. lol But it makes me feel like a kid again to watch it. Viy really isn't all that hard to keep up with from what I remember.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
just received from the UK PIKACHU. Can' t believe the 3D is only 5.1 and not 7.1, but they put Atmos on the 2D.

I don’t know why it’s not believable; this has been Warner’s policy for several years now. What I would be surprised by is if they did something different!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'd be interested in knowing which one that was. Is it also region free?

Yep, they have plenty without the subs. why oh why! such a small thing to add. I might get it anyway with some vodka to make it all seem normal that way. lol I have several russian fantasies with no subs. The Adventures of Burantino live action is a unique kids musical from the 70s. it's like cheap disney for my brain. it's Pinocchio really so I know the story. lol But it makes me feel like a kid again to watch it. Viy really isn't all that hard to keep up with from what I remember.
I have Viy listed as Zone B. I didn't test it for Zone A. It has very good 3D, as I recall.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have BFG 3D region B since it has Atoms sounds. So I might get this and hold it like that one for a region free player purchase in the future.

btw, here is the original Viy on youtube. I have the official DVD of that from the Russian Film Council and all their releases have every sub and dub language available. Careful, their logo on the DVD will scare the shit out of you. I jump 10 feet when it starts and scream, THE KGB!! But I paid for the movie no pirate!!! no pirate!!

This is a real delight.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Really enjoyed this. Very good 3D and ATMOS to boot. Even had to turn down the audio a tad but it had great bass. Can't beat the $5 from Big Lots. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :3dglasses:

P.S. Liked it so much I went ahead and bought the first two from Amazon.uk for $10.

51l8gnfTYNL.jpg

51Uw4bBzunL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks