Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There isn’t crosstalk on Dial M, but many people mistake the halos surrounding objects (an unavoidable artifact of the color film stock used at the time aging poorly) for crosstalk.

Reactions: Stephen_J_H

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I had heard of bad crosstalk on a lot of displays with 'Dial M for Murder.' But it looks great on my lg uh8500.

And while the 3d throughout the movie is nice, but subtle, the opening credits have tremendous pop out. They seem to float farther out in front of my TV than any other 3d movie I own.
Same here with my LG uh8500. I had a Samsung HD prior to that, no crosstalk. I’ve never experienced it. I’ve been lucky.

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Road Warrior is not 3D. Did you mean Mad Max: Fury Road?
I did mean Mad Max.

There isn’t crosstalk on Dial M, but many people mistake the halos surrounding objects (an unavoidable artifact of the color film stock used at the time aging poorly) for crosstalk.
interesting. I'll look for that.

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
What display do you have?
I have a Samsung 65" JU7100. I got it used from B&H Photo a few years ago. It goes black every now and then for a second or so. I don't know what that is. That and the crosstalk are the only problems with it. 1 stuck pixel I never notice.

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
No stranger to Disney movies and 3D here.

Just finished watching the 3D Blu ray of Aladdin, at first I was gripped by the story towards the mid section it took a downturn, it became almost cringeworthy for us. IMO it was 60% good, 20% cringeworthy/corny and the other 20% could of been cut to shorten this 2hr 07 minute movie.
3D was on the most part excellent with fantastic depth and layering with the odd milder pop out.
General PQ was outstanding with sharpness and details and a luxurious color palette!.

So we did enjoy it but a bit of a mixed bag. (Just my opinion).

Last edited:

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
No stranger to Disney movies and 3D here.

Just finished watching the 3D Blu ray of Aladdin, at first I was gripped by the story towards the mid section it took a downturn, it became almost cringeworthy for us. IMO it was 60% good, 20% cringeworthy/corny and the other 20% could of been cut to shorten this 2hr 97 minute movie.
3D was on the most part excellent with fantastic depth and layering with the odd milder pop out.
General PQ was outstanding with sharpness and details and a luxurious color palette!.

So we did enjoy it but a bit of a mixed bag. (Just my opinion).
Crap...that long! well, mine arrives in about 2 weeks. Been desensitizing myself for long movies since I've been watching the extended versions of HARRY POTTER in BD.

Reactions: Panman40

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
How was the sound? Is this another whisper-quiet Disney effort where you have to jack up the settings on the AVR way above other films?
Yep I was at -21 main volume which includes a +5db source vol increase so in effect -16 main volume, that's not loud as others listen either as we have neighbors.

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Alcohol is no excuse for screwing up a post! I was getting ready to shit-can my disc when it arrived. :rolleyes: Tino saved the day...he's our personal post proof reader! :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Reactions: Panman40

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Confession. amazon uk had JP fallen Kingdom 3d $7.22 shipped to usa. I got one, forgot to post about it and it went back up. Just got the shipping confirm. hate on me please. kick my ass, like on spinal tap. kick my ass! I'm not asking I'm telling with this!!

Panman40

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
This thread has over 500 pages of posts and is still very popular. The latest Top 30 list update by OP was January 2017.

En lieu of reading all 500+ pages, would love to see a refresh of the Top 30 list for 2019. :3dglasses:
I don’t think Ron has a huge interest in 3D at this time or that’s the impression I’m getting. If I’m wrong apologies in advance.

To be honest I never fully agreed with the top 30 list anyway, we all have different opinions and 3D preferences.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This thread has over 500 pages of posts and is still very popular. The latest Top 30 list update by OP was January 2017.

En lieu of reading all 500+ pages, would love to see a refresh of the Top 30 list for 2019. :3dglasses:

Hi Bill!

I must admit, I have neglected the list.

The problem is, there aren't any really outstanding 3D titles that have been released over the past few years except ONE.

That ONE title I have yet to add to the list as I don't exactly know where to place it.

Everything that is coming out these days is upconverted. None of it is lensed for 3D. If you want to look at the reason why the public has lost interest in the format, you only have to consider the garbage upconversions that have been released to the format.

I suspect the only really good stuff to look forward to will probably come out of the 3-D Film Archive. Other than that, it's business as usual for the studios.

Oh, what was that ONE title? Alita: Battle Angel. I was highly impressed with the 3D release and it deserves a place on the list. I will put it up there in the next few days.

In the meantime, that list stands (in my opinion) as the very best stuff this format has to offer. All the early 3D releases offered far better WOW value than what has been released in recent years.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don’t think Ron has a huge interest in 3D at this time or that’s the impression I’m getting. If I’m wrong apologies in advance.

To be honest I never fully agreed with the top 30 list anyway, we all have different opinions and 3D preferences.

You are right. As someone who had once proclaimed himself as "The 3D Guru," I have become completely bored with the latest format offerings. Blame Hollywood for the neglect. The magic is gone, sadly.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
You are right. As someone who had once proclaimed himself as "The 3D Guru," I have become completely bored with the latest format offerings. Blame Hollywood for the neglect. The magic is gone, sadly.
TBH, I find some of the latest 3-D movies on Blu-ray, mediocre at best and I'm not talking about the 3-D format.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TBH, I find some of the latest 3-D movies on Blu-ray, mediocre at best and I'm not talking about the 3-D format.
Exactly. Mostly Marvel stuff.

And the titles coming through 3-D Film Archive are "B" flicks that are exceptional in 3D, but not very good content-wise.

Not their fault.

Really, the only 3D title that I am looking forward to is the second volume of 3-D RARITIES coming in 2020.

There's a forthcoming 3D Kino title that I have been hearing some good "buzz" about, "Long Day's Journey Into Night."

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Exactly. Mostly Marvel stuff.

And the titles coming through 3-D Film Archive are "B" flicks that are exceptional in 3D, but not very good content-wise.

Not their fault.

Really, the only 3D title that I am looking forward to is the second volume of 3-D RARITIES coming in 2020.

There's a forthcoming 3D Kino title that I have been hearing some good "buzz" about, "Long Day's Journey Into Night."
Well, I actually enjoy the Marvel stuff.:blush: