What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ve tried wowhd several times and cannot find it, their search function is Terrible. I went to order from amazon USA but taxes and postage almost double the price which is a no no for me.

Usually I find the UPC works pretty well with teh DeepDiscount based sites. I usually find them on DD or Barnes and Noble

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/parasite/738329240141
£19

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought that same disc back in 2017, and have never watched it. This week I start my 3-D challenge in which I watch at least one 3-D movie each week until the end of the year. This will be the first one I watch for this challenge.
Some of the scenes are just breathtaking. Reminded me of Lord the Rings and Hobbit. Also good old 80s fantasy like Dragonslayer etc. The story is just so well done.

Beowulf 3D from germany is definitely region free and looks perfect and sound pretty good DTS 5.1. The extras play in English but don't look great. The trailer looks like a VHS. The making of runs jerky. Still looks very interesting though. The movie's the thing though and that's well worth the price alone.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of the scenes are just breathtaking. Reminded me of Lord the Rings and Hobbit. Also good old 80s fantasy like Dragonslayer etc. The story is just so well done.

Beowulf 3D from germany is definitely region free and looks perfect and sound pretty good DTS 5.1. The extras play in English but don't look great. The trailer looks like a VHS. The making of runs jerky. Still looks very interesting though. The movie's the thing though and that's well worth the price alone.
When the nearest IMAX theater to me opened it up, the first movie it showed was Beowulf in 3-D. So this won't be my first viewing of it in that format.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It was also in 3D in Netflix for a while before they abandoned showing films in that format.

Looked terrific from what I can remember with tons of depth and popout.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The transfer is fine. The film itself was shot on a film stock with problematic qualities exacerbated by age. The disc is an accurate representation of a film that, due to the limitations of the production, simply cannot look the same as a modern production could.

Thanks Josh and Stephen:

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was wondering about the specific problem Robert mentioned way back in 2012 (excerpted below). I own this disc, and as always, Robert's view is spot on. But he did mention one thing Warner could have done to alleviate the problem - which in 2012 was not viable economically. But technology has changed since then. Perhaps what was cost prohibitive in 2012, no longer is.

In addition, I'm generally wondering if anyone knows wether this new release will be different in any way, or merely a re-release of the 2012 disc.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Update
10/6/12.........

The image has been harvested from the original camera negatives. Both of them. And that harvest has been beautifully performed.......

Great scans. Beautiful color. Terrific original grain structure. Everything is correct.......

Could WB have done something in mastering to alleviate, or at least calm the problem? Yes. They could have created a second master, specifically for 3D, with an image more in line with the exigencies and needs of current hardware.

The cost? Not really viable........

The bottom line is that in 2D, Dial “M” for Murder is a terrific experience.....

Not Recommended for projection in 3D
RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Thanks Josh and Stephen:

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was wondering about the specific problem Robert mentioned way back in 2012 (excerpted below). I own this disc, and as always, Robert's view is spot on. But he did mention one thing Warner could have done to alleviate the problem - which in 2012 was not viable economically. But technology has changed since then. Perhaps what was cost prohibitive in 2012, no longer is.

In addition, I'm generally wondering if anyone knows wether this new release will be different in any way, or merely a re-release of the 2012 disc.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
RAH was discussing projection mostly in this regard. From my experience, most flat panels get considerably brighter in 3D to compensate for light loss. I own the original release of Dial M for Murder and have no issues with the brightness, as I can see that my plasma amps up the brightness for 3D.

My guess is that it will be a straight port of the original release.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks