What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
What's funny about shifting aspect ratios, the last few BD movies I've watched I've never noticed it...I was too involved in the movie. Truthfully, I don't want to know, I just want to enjoy the movie

Very true, if it’s a good movie I don’t notice it changing, the 1.90 wider frame does look good for 3D though, infact why not just have the whole movie that way.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gauging interest in a couple Brazilian 3D discs since ordering direct has been difficult to succeed and Ebay prices are rather exorbitant ($45-70ea) even when Ebay has anything.

1) Son of Bigfoot 3D (Bigfoot, JR in some countries) has a couple of reviews here in the thread and is from nWave the company responsible for The Wild Life (Robinson Crusoe) and several other films that have rather impressive 3D scores. There are a couple EU release, but none of the 3D discs have English Audio tracks other than the Brazilian Disc.

2) Gnome Alone -- a cute little film with average 3D and I think a pretty nice (if not totally done before) story line. It's got 3D and Gnomes so what's not to like. The only 3D release I can find anywhere in the world is from Brazil. Just like Bigfoot - - English Audio, 2D/3D single disc, Portuguese and one other non English Subtitles

I did get a new order so I have a couple in hand. Since a lot of folks never look in the sales/trading thread -- one plug - thread started there if anyone is interested

Last edited:

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
It also sends the message to the US distributor that there’s no US market for 3D, which hurts the chances for future 3D releases.

Certainly it would have in the past, but I think we're past that point in the marketplace now. The studios aren't going to change their mind in our favor unless something unarguably great happens.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Certainly it would have in the past, but I think we're past that point in the marketplace now. The studios aren't going to change their mind in our favor unless something unarguably great happens.
I agree. If the studios were responsive to the members of the HTF, 3D would be thriving. IMHO, no amount of support from members here is going to be big enough to mean diddley squat to the studios.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It has been a very long time -- well over a year -- since I added any new 3D titles to my TOP 30 list.

Having just finished watching ALITA, I am certain that the title belongs somewhere in there.

Extraordinary viewing experience. One of the very rare moments where we see modern filmmakers taking on a project and seriously constructing and choreographing it for the format. It's no wonder Fox decided to make the rare choice of releasing it as they did.

And for someone like me that hates films built around excessive CGI, I actually found myself entertained.

A Really fun film with spectacular 3D.

BTW, the BD image quality even dimmed in 3D, looked magnificent on my 110" screen. It would be hard to fathom how much better this would look in 4k.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I generally agree, except that some studios (like Warner) are still releasing 3D titles in limited batches. What I’m saying is, those batches are probably small enough that people switching to ordering from overseas could make a noticeable dent in them, and that might cause the studio to pull the plug completely on the U.S.

If Warner, as a hypothetical, only makes 1000 copies of a new 3D release based on prior ones selling 1000 copies, and then the orders only tally up to 600, they’re not going to put 2 and 2 together and conclude that people are importing from overseas but still interested. They’ll just see that interest has dropped and support will erode further.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
i always switch my pre-orders when local options become available.

The ones sold in Europe that are region free are Warner’s too, so they enter into the sales figures for the company.

Is 3D at home that much more popular in Britain and Germany? I also thought the only plant making discs was in Mexico. Do they make them for Europe and do they travel from Mexico to London to New York to Buffalo to my house near Toronto? Seems stupid to me!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

The ones sold in Europe that are region free are Warner’s too, so they enter into the sales figures for the company.

Is 3D at home that much more popular in Britain and Germany? I also thought the only plant making discs was in Mexico. Do they make them for Europe and do they travel from Mexico to London to New York to Buffalo to my house near Toronto? Seems stupid to me!
Companies outside the US are apparently willing to support items that aren’t blockbusters.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Then I guess Cameron didn't want a Terminator 2 3D U.S. release?

Different rightsholders.

Fox is still involved with Cameron creatively and has incentive to accommodate his wishes when feasible.

StudioCanal/Lionsgate got T2 via acquisition and has no working relationship with Cameron.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Then I guess Cameron didn't want a Terminator 2 3D U.S. release?

Different rightsholders.

Fox is still involved with Cameron creatively and has incentive to accommodate his wishes when feasible.

StudioCanal/Lionsgate got T2 via acquisition and has no working relationship with Cameron.

Exactly. Fox has an interest in placating Cameron - SC/LG don't...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

3D certainly seems more popular in Germany given the large number of one-off, autoconversions and Gemrany only 3D releases.
UK I'm not sure about

Asia I'm pretty sure 3D is more popular at least theatrically and fairly sure for Home as well in Korea, Japan and well heeled Chinese.

The Mexico plant supplies mostly NA/SA. There are several other replication plants in EU and Asia to produce discs -- Sony/DADC and Tehnicolor owned plants particualrly

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just received it today. Can't wait to view it! :3dglasses:

815MvrV0u2L._SX425_.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It has been a very long time -- well over a year -- since I added any new 3D titles to my TOP 30 list.

Having just finished watching ALITA, I am certain that the title belongs somewhere in there.

Extraordinary viewing experience. One of the very rare moments where we see modern filmmakers taking on a project and seriously constructing and choreographing it for the format. It's no wonder Fox decided to make the rare choice of releasing it as they did.

And for someone like me that hates films built around excessive CGI, I actually found myself entertained.

A Really fun film with spectacular 3D.

BTW, the BD image quality even dimmed in 3D, looked magnificent on my 110" screen. It would be hard to fathom how much better this would look in 4k.

Hell yeah!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Amazon UK declined to send me the Captain Marvel 3D slipcover, so if anyone has one that they don’t care about, PM me please!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks