1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D HTF TOP 30 MUST OWN 3D TITLES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Yup. I throw out movie that I think is bad, you argue it's great, blah blah blah.

Pointless!

2. Colin Jacobson

Pretty sure that being wrong about 3D presentation in decades gone past doesn't prevent me from being able to assess a film's quality.

But hey, you do what you want! :wave-hello:

3. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    ...and now for something completely different, ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL has shipped from the UK. Should be getting it in about 2 weeks. :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Panman40 likes this.
  4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

John, just caught this.

Sorry I have not backtracked in this thread.

Why did you import this from the UK? Fox released the ultimate 4k/Blu-ray/3D here in the U.S.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    There might be a price difference for those not interested in 4K?

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Hey Ron, I ordered it when it first became available, which was from the UK. I don't cancel an order to save a buck plus I was too lazy to cancel and reorder. I don't mind waiting 2 weeks to get it, that way I'll enjoy it more because of the anticipation.

Ronald Epstein likes this.
  7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I tend to pre-order from Amazon.uk as soon as the 3D Blu rays become available, but if local Amazons pick them up I cancel and switch. Recently, although I haven’t watched any, I redeem the digital versions, and the British codes do not work in Canada.

8. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    The 3D in Alita Battle Angel is gorgeous!
    Have played the 3D Blu-ray on both my 2015 and 2016 LG OLEDs with tweaked 3D settings.
    Looks like infinite layering that makes the world look real.
    Very pleased with this purchase and I'm putting the 3D resolving experience in the rare "golden-era" title status, *when viewed on my 65" OLED displays! Other display results will vary.

Alita 3D slip front metalic. Alita 3D slip back.

John Sparks, Ashly Yeo and Tino like this.
  9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Very much looking forward to watching this in 3D.

Dunno how you guys are getting copies early -- that's great! Amazon doesn't get it to me until Tuesday.

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    But If you had purchased from the US you would have gotten a free 4K digital copy. ;)

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It also sends the message to the US distributor that there’s no US market for 3D, which hurts the chances for future 3D releases.

Stephen_J_H and Tino like this.
  12. Colin Jacobson

I watched the 3D "Solo" I picked up in England last month and definitely disagree that it has "little noticeable 3D depth".

"Solo" lacks popout moments, but it comes with consistent, positive depth. The big heist scene with the train and all the flying ships works really well, especially when the train hangs off the mountain.

Is this demo material for 3D? No, but it's still good 3D - at least on a par with the "Force Awakens" and "Rogue One" 3D BDs.

But DARK - so, so dark! That's the biggest issue: the 3D presentation makes the movie even darker, and it becomes a strain to watch at times.

Though I do like the 3D imaging, the 4K UHD will remain my go-to for the movie in the future. It's easily the most attractive rendition of the film I've seen - the HDR manages to overcome the darkness...

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    This is the most important reason for all of us to buy 3D films domestically when available.

Jimbo64 and Josh Steinberg like this.
  14. Colin Jacobson

In theory I agree, but I fear it's way too late for that. The US 3D market is so minuscule that it's gonna be nigh unto impossible for sales to make studio execs rethink current policies.

"Alita" will undoubtedly become the biggest selling US 3D title in years, but that'll be because it has the 4K copy too.

Would've been interesting to see how sales would've compared if Fox had put out separate 3D and 4K releases in the US...

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I have to agree. I can't imagine 10 or even 300 extra orders in the US would even ripple the surface of the water esp since this is a 3D only item and there isn't a way to distinguish teh 4K from the 3D

16. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    Some interesting reading of late..

Anyway I watched a 3D film tonight I’ve had for a very long time sat on the shelf, ‘The Darkest Hour’. It’s so easy to spot native shot 3D. Knowing nothing about this film it was very different from what I thought it would be, not the greatest ever but we both enjoyed it but what brought it to life was the 3D which was so natural and easy on the eye with fantastic layering and depths through most scenes.
    Highly recommended from me but I’m guessing most of you will already have watched it. Fantastic on my projector to a 106” screen.

17. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    John Archer (Consumer Tech)
    Forbes: 'Alita: Battle Angel' 4K Blu-ray Review: Manganificent?

18. Jimbo64

Jimbo64 Screenwriter

Jim Potter
    My Alita just shipped yesterday from the UK

19. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Is this the movie about an alien attack in Moscow? The other Darkest Hour is the Churchill movie.

20. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Gauging interest in a couple Brazilian 3D discs. Since ordering direct has been difficult to succeed and Ebay prices are rather exorbitant ($45-70ea) even when Ebay has anything. If I order a batch, how many HTF members would be interesting in buying them at basically cost+shipping (approx $18-20ea plus $3-4 bucks shipping/fees). I don;t know how many items Livraria has or would be willing to ship to the US, but they have worked well for me in the past. I do know they won't ship a ton in one order at sales prices or more than a handful of a single title in a single order.

1) Son of Bigfoot 3D (Bigfoot, JR in some countries) has a couple of reviews here in the thread and is from mWave the company responsible for The Wild Life (Robinson Crusoe) and several other films that have rather impressive 3D scores. There are a couple EU release, but none of the 3D discs have English Audio tracks other than the Brazilian Disc.

2) Gnome Alone -- a cute little film with average to very good 3D and I think a pretty nice (if not totally done before) story line. It's got 3D and Gnomes so what's not to like. The only 3D release I can find anywhere in the world is from Brazil. Just like Bigfoot - - English Audio, 2D/3D single disc, Portuguese and one other non English Subtitles